Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Jove Empire is isolated from the rest of the world to all but a selected few? read more here.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Amarrian religion and Christianity?  (Read 7615 times)

Medarr

• Clonejack
Re: Amarrian religion and Christianity?
« Reply #30 on: 16 Feb 2011, 22:56 »

Very intresting stuff. Ive been trying to get my head around all the aspects of the amarr religion but its a daunting task. Especially since so many of it is open to different interpretation.
For instance the sefrim, has anyone ever wondered/questioned what they really are?. Its seem to me they were really there. But how or what were they? Angels or something els? Jovians?

So many questions, so little time, even for a Capsuleer.
" If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst forth at once in the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One.
I am become Death, the shatterer of worlds ". -- The Bagavad Gita,

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 17 Feb 2011, 09:37 »

Y'know how the Sefrim are described as having golden masks, to conceal their burning radiance?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 17 Feb 2011, 14:18 »

I mentioned this on the EM forums once, but it made sense to me about how to view the Amarrian faith.  The best concept I had of the Amarrian faith was a cult, very loosely based on Judeo-Christian ideology and symbology, who voluntarily left for the frontier to create their own "pure" society.  Think the Pilgrims of North America, or the various migrations of sects over the world who left their home, or, perhaps more telling, Jim Jones setting up a colony in South America.

It's quite likely that that the proto-Amarrian faith was vastly different from "mainstream" catholic(little-c)/Christianity/whatever, even at that time.  Mainstream, orthodox religions don't pack up and go form their own communities in the frontier, thats typically the actions of the unorthodox, the radical, or the just plan nutty.

Thinking of the Amarrian faith as a Jim Jones-esque religious colony that was cut off from Earth society, survived, refined its doctrine and expanded and created an Empire conceptually make sense to me, as well as making them quite scary.      
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #33 on: 18 Feb 2011, 15:55 »

Amarrians are the space Jews.

care to explain?

Sure.

{Stuff}

But I am rambling, better get something else done.

You appear to have missed the simplest answer, imo. The Amarrian God is way closer in character to the Old Testament God. All those happy-clappy child-friendly New Testament bits have no place in the Amarrian faith: it's all badass child-killing and pillars of salt shit. No wonder Amarrians don't smile much... :)

I wonder how much is pure speculation on someone's behalf that the current trend towards fundamentalism could lead to a gradual shedding of many of the moderate Christian / Islamic / Jewish doctrines until you have something almost entirely unrecognisable to modern day moderate monotheistic religions. Something that would perhaps be somewhat familiar to Abraham. It's an interesting extrapolation.

Eve players often spend time trying to figure out who the factions most closely resemble in character. We quibble over nations and races and bloodlines and philosophies. I suspect the more accurate speculation would simply relate Eve's factions with existing factions within our own western societies today. I tend to see the Amarrians as a criticism or at least a parody of today's extremists.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #34 on: 18 Feb 2011, 18:22 »

there's a mission "the anomaly", a pop up from someone in it says:

I wonder, are you familiar with the concept of hell? Even the most fervently spiritual Amarrians believe in heaven yet scorn the concept of hell as outdated - hell, my people believe, is a state of mind. I am coming to think that this may be true.

possibly relevant.
\o/

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 19 Feb 2011, 05:20 »

o.O

Without Hell there is no real incentive to have Faith.

You need the whip cracking to be a True Believer, not a fucking carrot.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #36 on: 19 Feb 2011, 07:27 »

Apparently not.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 19 Feb 2011, 10:07 »

Y'know how the Sefrim are described as having golden masks, to conceal their burning radiance?

[spoiler][/spoiler]
So the quote/translation missed a word?  conceal them from burning radiance?

KJLLV

« Reply #38 on: 19 Feb 2011, 11:59 »

Hell: A state of separation from God; exclusion from God's presence.

That seems to the working definition in mind, in lieu of a literal place.

KJLLV

« Reply #39 on: 19 Feb 2011, 12:08 »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

We could have a whole thread going through Ametat and Avetat pointing out the visitation of Athra by another people, you know.
Pages: 1 2 [3]