Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Many medical services are provided by AIs rather than human doctors?  More on AIMEDs here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New to the Empyrean  (Read 2979 times)

Matsudaira Takuma

• Clonejack
New to the Empyrean
« on: 10 Jan 2011, 07:31 »

Hello RP'ers of EVE.  Im a fresh faced recruit to this massive time sink of an MMO and looking for some like minded folks to join.  At the moment I run a Gallente miner (accounts like 4 days old so barely any skills) and a Caldari explorer (or it will be soon enough).  Personally Im feeling the Caldari, having looked into their background and their Japanese influences, thats me all over, plus they have funky looking spaceships that look like they were built function > fashion, good times.

So Im not really what could be called a hardcore RP'er from what ive found in games.  Ive played WoW for the past 5 years and although the first 2 years of it I was a strong member of the RP community I ended up getting caught up in a whole load of crap that dulled the sheen of RP for me, as such nowadays I tend to RP very little in the game, and when I do its usually as "scene" setting RP, my char sat in the back of a bar smoking and drinking on his own whilst I watch others around me interact with one another.

I want to change this for EVE.  One of the greatest enjoyments I got out of RP was that it wasnt bogged down by set mission objectives and the way WoW is designed, that leaves very little to actually DO with your character beyond writing what it is you imagine happening.  The EVE universe has me wet because with this sandbox design, if I want to play an Explorer or blockade running smuggler, I can, equally I could become an anti-rat or rat, depending on what it is I want to do.  This freedom is win, end of. 

However with such a massively open universe, lacking in obvious "RP hot spots" such as taverns, and no ability to have capsuleer to capsuleer face to face, I find myself lost and not knowing where, how and what is the generally accepted behaviour within the community for RP.

So here I am, throwing my rather socially introverted ass to you lions and see what it is I can make of myself.

So yep, Im looking for a corporation, preferably something loyal to caldari (I often find it easier to be a faction loyalist to start with, as there is plenty of lore surrounding them and its usually easily accesible, if I want to change that, its easy enough given the right motivation most people will change their goals and methods) but they are going to need to be willing to deal with a total noob, as ive played EVE for a grand total of about 7 days now.  Also Id prefer not to be tied down by a specific type of corporation, I dont want to be a purely miner, a purely pvp'er, id like to be part of a conglomerate of differently skilled players who work toegether. 

From my outset, I would say I am intersted in;
Being able to team with people who dont mind the new guy coming along
PvP - Eventually, I dont wanna go storming in and getting popped straight away naturally, but later in my career I am most intersted in joining nul sec operations and getting my teeth into the nitty gritty
I do enjoy being part of a mining operation, hauling has been fun and the mining itself isnt all that bad, quite liked putting crap in an Orca or Jet canning it and watching the haulers remove it, however Id probably prefer to be top cover for these operations, or perhaps trail blazing for them, finding the operations location using scanning.

Ehr, I dont really know what else to say, or what ive missed, so feel free to ask away or throw suggestions as to where and how to get involved in the RP of EVE.

Fly Safe, Takuma.

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
Re: New to the Empyrean
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2011, 07:52 »

Helloooooo.

The RP here is really what you do in game, including what you say. That little bzzzzt sound as you load in from the character selection screen is like the clacker at a movie shoot - "Action!"

As for RP hotspots, there are plenty of custom channels available to join - from bars like The Last Gate to Amarrian cathedrals, corporate offices to VR sims. In those, obviously you have to be a little descriptive about your actions. There are also other IC channels that are just comms channels, like an IC corp chat or (you might want to check this one out if you're curious about Caldari) the Heiian College.

Welcome to EVE. Never trust your well-being to beings you do not trust well. And, good luck in your corp searching.

P.S. - Ask Casi for the complimentary beverage of your choice.
Will work for pretty sig.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2011, 07:53 »

Well first off - Welcome to EVE!

As I am sure alot of people here will try and say, with their own personal bias  is that there is no "wrong way" to RP within usual logical bounds. And as such just about everything we do in game can be RP - so it becomes alot more interesting in that regard.

Alot of us use "channel-RP" where by joining a channel you can RP yourself somewhere out-of-pod via text while we wait for incarna to be done soon™

But overall, enjoy your stay, do what you enjoy and ignore the trolls :P

Oh, and don't forget the complimentary tea and biscut!

P.S. DAMN YOU KOHIKO! I wanted first reply! :P

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2011, 08:00 »

I was never here...

*cloaks and goes AFK*
Will work for pretty sig.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2011, 08:06 »

Sup'

I'd try and edge you into the Outlaw RP stuff, but you seem to have your heart set on the Empire groups, which is cool. I could probably recommend IRED or a group like that. No doubt John Revenant will pop into here at some stage.

On the other hand, if that doesn't float your boat, Running a Serpentis group as a slightly classy, very professional  group of pilots as opposed to people with gold teeth and eye-patches really isn't that hard. On which note, Drop?

Matsudaira Takuma

• Clonejack
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2011, 10:20 »

Ok so the RP on eve is sort of like the old skool forum RP then? For say bars, you pretend that even if your char is currently mining/whatever your vice is at the time, they are actually in the channels bar (or I saw some had remote holo links) and therefore, due to it being entirely text based, I will need to explain that my char is smoking for example.

As for heart set on a certain thing, Id not say that even slightly! I know so little about EVEs lore, that Im simply going with standard things, and Ill admit, coming from WoW "Pirate RP" is a totally different thing, complete with parots and peg legs.  In EVE the idea of piracy seems quite cool to me.  Also I have read a fair amount of WH40k literature, and as such have a rose tinted view of Rogue Traders, travelling the stars with holds filled with naughty contraband and making border runs, so piracy isnt necessarily out of the question ;)

Ive read across the forums that the Gallente are under represented within the RP community, if this is so, perhaps I should play my Gallente pilot instead.  For one he has most of the core competancy skills lvld already, and I cant help but feel a Gallente blockade runner sounds more feasable than a Caldarri one.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2011, 11:04 »

Ok so the RP on eve is sort of like the old skool forum RP then? For say bars, you pretend that even if your char is currently mining/whatever your vice is at the time, they are actually in the channels bar (or I saw some had remote holo links) and therefore, due to it being entirely text based, I will need to explain that my char is smoking for example.

I'd call it more like MU*ing, but yeah, all text. Some do not approve of pretending to physically be somewhere your character bit isn't. You'll find some discussion on that matter elsewhere on this board.

Also to be found elsewhere: A whole board of recruitment opportunities.

Welcome!
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2011, 12:29 »

Hello, welcome to Eve. Hope you like it.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2011, 12:33 »

Welcome to EVE and Backstage, I hope your stay will be full of death and destruction.
My Corp is anti-Caldari and pro Guristas so I don't think we'll be good for you. That and I'm the only serious RP'er in the Corp.
Also to be found elsewhere: A whole board of recruitment opportunities.
^Check out the 'Corporation and Alliance Development' board for that.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2011, 13:05 »

Huh, an actual new arrival to EVE... welcome to the insanity.

In answer to some of your questions... RP in EVE is a mixture of "in space" and "in text" RP. Most players find some balance between the two, mixing in-space and in-text RP until the find the amount of each they like. This is not neccesarily true for all players - I know someone who does not undock except to run missions to pay for their account; otherwise they just do in-text RP. Similarly, I also know players who prefer to have any and all in-text RP they do backed up by in-space actions.

That said, as you've pointed out the sheer variety of things to do in EVE gives you some options in what you choose to RP. Even within stereotypical roles, such as a "pirate", there are bloodthirsty murderers out for the thrill of seeing a victim's ship founder and explode, diplomatic businesspeople who can just as easily work with you as against you for the right fee, and demi-warlords attempting to claim a system or two for their own because... well, because they can. There are nuances to each role, both in space and in text, which draw people in; in time you'll find a spot you like and start doing your thing.

Anyhow... I'll wish you luck in your experience in EVE - both in space, and in text - and look forward to seeing you around.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2011, 13:51 »

First blood I mean hello, welcome

corps of various factions that may be of interest I can name off hand

pirates

guristas - VETO
serpentis - Anshar Incorporated
Angel - Risen Angels, Naraka (Alliance), Ghost Festival
Blood Raiders - Crimson Path, Church of the Crimson Saviour, Blood Inquisition
Sansha - True Slave Foundations, Zaratha Zarati

empires

Caldari
Lai Dai Infinity Systems (Lai Dai affilitate)
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive (Alliance, Ishukone affilitate)

Gallente Federation
Eleutherian Guard
Moira. (Is possibly no longer G-Fed aligned, not sure)

Minmatar Republic
Electus Matari (Alliance)
Ushra'Khan (Alliance)

Amarr Empire
PIE Inc.
Knighthood of the Merciful Crown
Curatores Veritatis Alliance (CVA, Alliance)
Khanid Provinical Vanguard (Khanid-Kingdom aligned)
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 2011, 14:43 »

Oh hai!

Welcome to backstage.

( http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=823.0 )

Info on I-RED, feel free to drop by IshuNET and Heiian College channels to find out more on us Caldari folk. ;)

Shalee Lianne

• Wetgraver
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2011, 15:39 »

Welcome to New Eden!

I would like to invite you to an rp channel in game:

Mercy's Keep: Public Hall

The setting is our corp's head quarters, a place set into the snowy mountains of Amarr.  The main rp takes place in the Hall, most eveyrone is invited (or tolerated).

(http://www.kotmc.com/forum_threads/474127  a description of it)

I'm sure you'll love rp on EVE, it is vastly different than WOW.  One of the main reasons is that there are consequences for what you do in EVE.  Everyone is under 'one roof' so to speak, not spread out under a thousand different servers.  What you do in space matters.  RP can be totally immersive.  You'll love it!

See you in game!

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2011, 19:24 »

pirates

Serpentis - Anshar Incorporated

I resent being called a pirate, I'm a successful businessman! (With no moral code when it comes to making ISK)

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2011, 20:30 »

pirates

Serpentis - Anshar Incorporated

I resent being called a pirate, I'm a successful businessman! (With no moral code when it comes to making ISK)

Bullshit. Your chibi has an eyepatch!
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.
Pages: [1] 2