Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Slavers hunt by jumping high in the air and coming down on their prey from above?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Advice request. And possibly employment request?  (Read 7953 times)

Hamish Grayson

Re: Advice request. And possibly employment request?
« Reply #30 on: 05 Jan 2011, 01:52 »

No kidding!  I've met at least five people in real life who said they found out about Eve from people linking Hellgremlin's stories.  They could probably have tenton write an article about him being made an NPC and get even more subscriptions.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 05 Jan 2011, 02:17 »

Given your history imagine how challenging it will be to get a group to trust you. Certainly more challenging than conquest or setting up another betrayal.

Arnulf, Istvaan's very good at getting people to trust him. I'm not sure that would count as a new challenge.

Shae Tiann

• Sweet little bad girl
  • Egger
    • Sweet Little Bad Girl
« Reply #32 on: 05 Jan 2011, 10:04 »

I'll second what Gottii said. Hell, I get bored sometimes: I've achieved everything I wanted to in Eve already, which is kind of sad for three years' playtime.

If pretending to start fresh is fun for you, then just go for it. "Istvaan Shogatsu" is far too well-known ingame for you to start afresh with the same character; reputations are next to impossible to erase, and it's unlikely you'd be able to switch to a new initiative without everyone in Eve suspecting it to be a massive troll or scam. And in the meantime you could have some fun by making the entire playerbase suspect Istvaan is plotting the next big hit, simply by playing on their expectations.

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #33 on: 05 Jan 2011, 10:04 »

It's an interesting point you raise, Istvaan.

Given the reputation you've built as the leader of frankly, the most notorious corporation ever to grace New Eden, it does put you in a pickle with a lot of people if you're looking to start fresh elsewhere.
Regardless, I don't think you should walk from the game. The best policy is to keep doing what you do best. That's what I did.

Why not try creating your own set of chronicles, based around the Exploits of Istvaan over the years in terms of what he's been doing with GH-SC? Drop into detail about his day to day life, how his circle of informants work, what he deals with, how he gets the job done, that kind of thing. Kind of like an Eve version of the Godfather saga, only better.

Work on fleshing it all out, then with the reputation you have re-lauch yourself into Eve-RP and take on a slightly different angle, maybe find yourself a faction of questionable moral integrity to allign with, have some fun with the RP scene and enjoy some small scale tightly knit gang PvP that doesn't mean you have to defend territory and put your mental stability on the line with sovreignty bullshit.

My only advice to you would be to stear cleer of static assets, anything that anyone can used to harm you in revenge for the countless corporations and alliances you've taken from in the past. If you play it slow and easy, with the ISK you have you'll be able to support yourself for as long as you choose to play Eve if you start to enjoy small gang PvP.

I'll also say, that if you're looking for employment and and RP corp that's solidly alligned to a pirate faction and actively roleplays, drop me an evemail. I'm not particularly bothered about your sinister reputation and the questions and lack of trust that surround it.

Frankly, while I've enjoyed watching your shenanigans over the years, it doesn't intimidate me in the slightest to be honest, I more have a sense of respect for what you've achieved and would be pretty happy to talk about employment.  In the end, no matter how much of a destroyer of worlds someone becomes in Eve, everyone needs some form of roots that they can relate to.

I'll be back in the UK from Iceland tomorrow evening, if you think the Guristas might suit Istvaan's frame of mind quite well given we focus around profit at all costs and you'd like to mess around with small gang PvP and see if you can re-kindle the fire for Eve, then feel free to drop me a line either out of character, or in character if you'd prefer it.

Regardless, we've been the last port of call for a lot of people who were about to call it a day with Eve. Most of them came to us years ago saying this was their last attempt at staying interested in the game. Pretty much all of them are still with us.

Drop me a line if you want to talk about employment, or if you just feel like shooting the shit about the good old days and want help figuring out where to go from here.

« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2011, 10:08 by Verone »

Altaen

• Clonejack
    • Molden Heath Community
« Reply #34 on: 05 Jan 2011, 14:35 »

P.S.  if youre really bored, could you find a way to lower nocxium prices in the Republic?  I know a couple pilots in my corp who would be thrilled.

qfe 8)

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 05 Jan 2011, 15:17 »

Well, it worked. I don't think GHSC has had a war declared on us in the last... four or five years. People still talk shit to us in local but they realize that even if they declare a war, we'll fight it in the most sadistic and unsatisfying way possible.

Most people wised up to the idea that wars are a very imperfect tool of conflict. Wars only work if the enemy needs to be 'in-space' and in a vulnerable position. I don't think GHSC is that. Additionally, war needs to inflict more damage than it costs, and with your resources, I don't think a war would be a good tool to threaten you.

Is there a future for me in Eve, outside of GHSC, or should I cancel my account now? I mean, I realize I'm not the most employable of creatures, what with my past habit of destroying everyone who ever trusted me. Have I painted myself into a sort of corner?

Honestly, yes, you did paint yourself into a corner. Unfortunately, that corner isn't generating much excitement. Most criminal masterminds with enemies all over the world would need to constantly watch their backs for fear of getting killed or people making off with their wealth. In EVE, knowledgeable players are only vulnerable if they want to be. And even then, the vulnerability translates largely into isk terms. Nearly the only thing that can't be bought by isk is reputation.

But, basically, you've achieved plenty of things, possible most of the goals you've set yourself. You've played out this angle of EVE and both your reputation and wealth hinder you in sliding into a brand new angle.

There's no easy solution to this. You need to find new goals. If you find goals you like, you can just commit to them, and while other capsuleers might not trust you with their isk soon, they might accept cooperation or assistance.

But basically it comes down to you finding some goal for yourself. I feel that Merdaneth is nearing the end of his 'fun' life as well for me. I don't have a lot of well defined goals left myself. And without a goal to achieve, EVE can get stale very quick (if you want to use it for something else than a space-themed chatroom).

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 Jan 2011, 17:41 »

I do like the idea of you becoming an NPC in charge of a new megacorp/pirate faction. However since this involves CCP moving things behind the curtain let us assume this can't happen.

Yea obviously, but it's not like hellgremlin doesn't have some contacts in CCP. He's written for CCP and his scam work has drawn countless players into the game. Some might say they owe him. Sure it could be said it's favoritism, but since it doesn't give a player any actual benefit, just officially makes him a part of EVE history, it'd be a nice reward imo.

As it happens hearing about the big GHSC infiltration & kill job was one of the reasons I signed up. I was interested in a game that could inspire that sort of effort.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #37 on: 05 Jan 2011, 18:43 »

Reading this thread made me feel all appreciated and squishy. Also gave me a lot to think about.

I thank the folks who'd be willing to take a chance employing me. Verone, your offer is definitely interesting. I sometimes get a hankering for piracy and can never find corpmates to grief with.

I think the most promise would lie in using my strengths. I think I can get people to do things in a coordinated fashion very effectively, but instead of doing it cloak-and-dagger with destructive aims, I wonder how many folks would like to collaborate with me up-front. I kinda wanna conquer wormhole space and be flying a Sleeper battleship by the end of this year.

How many of y'all would be up for some demented collaborative venture like that? We'd need two kinds of people, assholes and scientists! We could try packing a bunch of people into multiple wormholes and see if we could get them to connect. Perhaps start figuring out if there's a pattern to their randomness.

As far as static assets, hell, I could set aside 10 billion "pocket money" on my end for playing around with. A large tower and a month's supply of fuel doesn't cost much, most folks won't waste the time shooting one, and if it gets attacked seriously, no big loss. The idea of wormhole colonization appeals to me on some basic SimCity level, and we put one up recently just to re-learn how POSes work. Naturally, some jackanape was in the market forum looking to sell the location of our hole within two days, but outside that it didn't attract much attention.
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2011, 18:49 by hellgremlin »

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #38 on: 06 Jan 2011, 05:39 »

I think the most promise would lie in using my strengths. I think I can get people to do things in a coordinated fashion very effectively, but instead of doing it cloak-and-dagger with destructive aims, I wonder how many folks would like to collaborate with me up-front.

Probably, but only within our limited interests.

Good luck with the Sleepers though, I do want that mystery to be solved :)

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #39 on: 06 Jan 2011, 08:26 »

Re-experience what it's like to be a noob - start a new character from scratch, and don't transfer any resources over from your main.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 06 Jan 2011, 13:57 »

I wonder how many folks would like to collaborate with me up-front. I kinda wanna conquer wormhole space and be flying a Sleeper battleship by the end of this year.

Now this is interesting.

One question I have is whether you'd be willing to work with groups from outside your own corp / alliance. Aria has only just started recruiting for Kumiho's Smile and has no interest in breaking her connection to Naraka., but is KEENLY interested in exactly this mystery.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #41 on: 06 Jan 2011, 14:36 »

I was trying to drum up interest in this sort of mapping a few months ago by offering bounties on a listing of wormhole connections, so that you could look up a wormhole number and see the list of systems that it goes between, but people kept pointing me to maps of wormhole systems.  

But if you would want to do something like that I'd be glad to join in as back office support.  I don't have a lot of time in-game these days for wormhole roams, but I can organize data pretty well.  

EDIT: Here is an example of what I tried to get.

Wormhole XXX-1 has been recorded as going to the following systems, most probably systems first
WH system 1 (29 recorded destinations)
WH system 4 (15 recorded destinations)
WH system 8 (5 recorded destinations)
etc
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2011, 15:21 by Saikoyu »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #42 on: 06 Jan 2011, 15:50 »

if you need a project for an alt, you could maybe look into teh blood raiders, like the Church of the crimson saviour group, who i've encountered a few times.

Ebil space nuns instead of space vampires makes a change.
\o/

Altaen

• Clonejack
    • Molden Heath Community
« Reply #43 on: 06 Jan 2011, 15:54 »

I do like the idea of you becoming an NPC in charge of a new megacorp/pirate faction. However since this involves CCP moving things behind the curtain let us assume this can't happen.

Yea obviously, but it's not like hellgremlin doesn't have some contacts in CCP. He's written for CCP and his scam work has drawn countless players into the game. Some might say they owe him. Sure it could be said it's favoritism, but since it doesn't give a player any actual benefit, just officially makes him a part of EVE history, it'd be a nice reward imo.

As it happens hearing about the big GHSC infiltration & kill job was one of the reasons I signed up. I was interested in a game that could inspire that sort of effort.

It wasn't one of the reasons I signed up, but it is one of the ways I try to explain to people how awesome, dark, and epic EVE is, either while defending why I'm going home to play internet spaceships instead of out  to drink, or when trying to convince people to start an account.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #44 on: 07 Jan 2011, 13:48 »

Re-experience what it's like to be a noob - start a new character from scratch, and don't transfer any resources over from your main.
"Congratulations on running the marathon. Now for extra fun, put a bunch of rocks in your shoes and run it again."

Like I said, I frequently experienced what it's like to be a noob during past infiltrations where I had to play the part of a noob. It wouldn't be fun :p
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4