Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That, even on non-capsuleer vessels, ship command sections are designed to be sheared off and function as an escape capsule? (The Burning Life p. 85)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Advice request. And possibly employment request?  (Read 7956 times)

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain

So, long story short, I'm just about done with GHSC. It's killing my enjoyment of Eve.

Every time I make a forum post, some fucking cuntlip calls me out for not scoring a 200 billion ISK heist or not having enough Battleclinic points or whatever. It seems that at every step I take, I am expected to do something incredibly destructive and headline-grabbing.

The problem with GHSC is that it became IDDQD. Early in our history, we had a revenge policy. In those early years, it seemed sensible, since we were flying around in blaster Incursus and Crusaders, and hardly frightening in space. Any PVP corp could have wiped the floor with us at that stage. So we implemented the revenge policy simply to make us a pain-in-the-ass to fight. You shoot down one of our guys, we all come after you.

Well, it worked. I don't think GHSC has had a war declared on us in the last... four or five years. People still talk shit to us in local but they realize that even if they declare a war, we'll fight it in the most sadistic and unsatisfying way possible.

And I'm bored.

The boredom of the idle rich.

I can afford 21 titans, optimal officer fit, with the assets I own.

So here's an interesting question.

Is there a future for me in Eve, outside of GHSC, or should I cancel my account now? I mean, I realize I'm not the most employable of creatures, what with my past habit of destroying everyone who ever trusted me. Have I painted myself into a sort of corner?

I want to do new things, or at least things I haven't done for a while. I'm sick of the giant alliance over-fucking game. Alliances truly don't matter to me, because I have come to realize that all of them - even the best of them - are completely fucking irrelevant. Eve today, is chiefly based in empire space. That's simply where the INTERESTING action happens. 0.0 comprises 10% of Eve's populace, and the only reason to be interested in 0.0 is to conquer more 0.0 which doesn't interest me at all.

In the past month I've created a bunch of alts, and infiltrated a bunch of baby corporations. My original intent was to rob them ofc, but truth be told, I had more fun there, doing their newbie things alongside them, than I did in GHSC running galaxy-shattering schemes of yore. I thought there'd be some kind of glorious endgame for achieving the point I did, but no, the sandbox is still quite level, and I guess I'm ok with that.

What next? Is there anything?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Advice request. And possibly employment request?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2010, 22:35 »

You essentially can buy anything you want in the game, which means ISK isn't an interesting goal for you.

You don't have interest in nullsec, which means controlling territory isn't an interesting goal for you.

You don't have anyone serious looking to shoot you down, which means PVP isn't an interesting goal for you.

You don't want to screw over a bunch of new players anymore, which means infiltration isn't an interesting goal for you.

I could go on, but you get the point. So, in my mind, that leaves a few options:

1/ Knowledge: I know you have some interest in the Sleeper storyline, and that's something that power and ISK (by themselves) can't solve for you.

2/ Socialization: You're enjoying, at least to some degree, just relaxing with new players and doing "their newbie things.

3/ Sex: Well, okay, this isn't the most interesting goal in EVE terms. Forget I mentioned it.

4/ Power flexing: If Istvaan the character has any sort of goals at all, he could use his power for "good" (where "good" == "his goals"). I mean, sleeping with Jamyl might be out, but I can imagine a situation in which Istvaan has the goal of destroying any given major nullsec power bloc, or even trying to manipulate his way to power within an actual NPC faction.

Personally, I'd lean toward 1 or 4.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2010, 22:53 »

I'm all over 1. The sleepers are driving me nuts. Whenever there's something *I don't know* I rapidly develop a cocaine-addict's urge to know what I don't know.

I rather enjoy the aspects of 2. I experience in my casual infiltrations. When I infiltrate a corp, I try to shift my mindset to the SP-level and experience of the pilot I'm impersonating to join said corp. So, if I'm pretending to be a clueless newbie eager to learn about Eve, it actually feels like I'm a clueless newbie eager to learn about Eve. For fleeting moments, anyway.

I want more of those moments. I guess I just want to feel lost again. I downloaded Fallout: New Vegas over Xmas, and it thrilled me, because I was suddenly in a brand new wasteland to explore, with unpredictable critters lurking around each dark corner.

I don't get that feeling in Eve anymore. I feel like I have absorbed the mathematics of Eve to such a degree that nothing surprises me. I don't know if I can explain this, but I'm not sick of Eve. I'm so addicted to the storyline it's not funny. Especially now that the recent chronicles are talking about snakes eating their tails...

Vikarion

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2010, 23:05 »

You should give me the money, and earn your way back. At least 100 billion of it.

Ok, seriously?

I wish that there was some great avenue you haven't explored that I could easily suggest, but that's probably not the case. So, the question is, do you still enjoy Eve as a game, or is Eve only the context for what you enjoy?

In other words, are you here because scamming is fun, or are you here because Eve is fun and scamming is just one of the things you do in it?

I ask this because it does seem that in regards to scamming and making ISK, you've done it all. If you enjoy only achievement in this area, it's time to either hang up the hat, or, and this may seem self-serving, give away all the ISK and see if you can do it all again. But you almost certainly could.

From your statements in regards to newbies, it seems that you do enjoy other factors, and as such, there are probably facets of Eve you haven't yet tried that you would enjoy. That might be FW, or exploration, or running missions in null sec, or even trying to solo-PvP-roam through wormholes for weeks on end without ever returning to a station. In my opinion, much of the gameplay in Eve can be fun in and of itself if you are attempting things for the experience, rather than for a goal. For example, I've recently been running missions in Curse, not because I have to (although the ISK helps), but because it's fun running blockades, bubbles, and station camps (with good-natured mockery or advice in local).

Sometimes the best way to increase your enjoyment of a game is to jack up the difficulty level, or attempting unorthodox strategies and tactics. Sometimes you just need a break from what you usually do. Or maybe a new spin on an old tactic - if you like helping newbies and scamming, you could form a newbie GHSC corp for wannabe con artists.

I'm just tossing out ideas here, but ultimately, like you pointed out, Eve is a sandbox. It's always possible to get out of a corner, even if you have to toss sand in a few eyes to get out.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2010, 23:10 »

Look me up.. if ya want to talk about employment.

*gulp*

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2010, 23:48 »

The Synenose Accord is always looking for 'consultants'.  Things related to Sleepers. Sansha. Jovians. *coughs*

Amann Karris

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2010, 00:03 »

I'm all over 1. The sleepers are driving me nuts. Whenever there's something *I don't know* I rapidly develop a cocaine-addict's urge to know what I don't know.
Expect a message shortly.  Seriously, we should speak.

I rather enjoy the aspects of 2. I experience in my casual infiltrations. When I infiltrate a corp, I try to shift my mindset to the SP-level and experience of the pilot I'm impersonating to join said corp. So, if I'm pretending to be a clueless newbie eager to learn about Eve, it actually feels like I'm a clueless newbie eager to learn about Eve. For fleeting moments, anyway.
Jita 4-4.  There's always fun in "B-lining". ;)  I started a new character Sunday just for that.

I want more of those moments. I guess I just want to feel lost again. I downloaded Fallout: New Vegas over Xmas, and it thrilled me, because I was suddenly in a brand new wasteland to explore, with unpredictable critters lurking around each dark corner.

I don't get that feeling in Eve anymore. I feel like I have absorbed the mathematics of Eve to such a degree that nothing surprises me. I don't know if I can explain this, but I'm not sick of Eve. I'm so addicted to the storyline it's not funny. Especially now that the recent chronicles are talking about snakes eating their tails...
We should definitely talk.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2010, 00:29 »

"...a symbol of immortality, since it is said of the Ouroboros that he slays himself and brings himself to life, fertilizes himself and gives birth to himself. He symbolizes the One, who proceeds from the clash of opposites, and he therefore constitutes the secret of the Prima Materia which unquestionably stems from man's unconscious."

"He couldn't get those marble carvings out of his mind. The grooves that twisted and turned in on themselves, like snakes eating their tails. The knots and curlicues that looked like words but on closer inspection would dissolve into abstract symbols the likes of which he'd never seen in scripture."
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2010, 00:37 by Julianus Soter »

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2010, 00:39 »

Well, Rho doesn't have much in the way of assets, so I'll take a chance.  I'm working on some anti-slavery stuff, if RP stuff like that interests you.  And if you want to start something new, I've been looking for directors for a few things, including wormhole ops.  I do run things loose, just FYI.  Let me know if you are interested.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 03 Jan 2011, 14:58 »

As Itsvaan, the character itself, i would say that you have been painted in the corner not by what you did, but by what the entirety of eve expects from the legendary name. A sort of "the king must do epic things to maintain his crown" line of thought.

Since money is no concern, you could spend it all manipulating and creating diplomatic conflict throught eden without much effort. But i would say thats not your usual dish.

I believe there is an opportunity for you to enjoy the gameplay that happens in WH space and at the same time develop an RP storyline related to your endevaours with the sleeper technology, along with "shady deals" of your findings and subsequent sales of said information to the pirate factions (pirate t3 cruisers hell yeah :P ). WH space has no local, no alliances, very little capitals, it connects often to known space and provides the sweet candy to your info-addiction.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #10 on: 03 Jan 2011, 16:14 »

New Eden Assembly now

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #11 on: 03 Jan 2011, 18:06 »

Have you thought about a form of self-imposed challenge play? Artificial restrictions of certain kinds in order for you to make achieving certain goals more difficult.

While I'm not certain what to say in regards to your roleplay preferences, challenge modeā„¢ may force new ways of contending with old issues in your gameplay.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #12 on: 03 Jan 2011, 19:29 »

I'm hesitant to put an offer out, on account of past history.

Have you considered doing hilarious things to Alliances for Amusement? Like getting your name spelled out in Hexagons on the Sov Map or something?

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #13 on: 03 Jan 2011, 20:03 »

I find your dilemma hard to pity; not because of how you got there, but because of the literally limitless possibilities you have at your disposal.

You have enough ISK that you can make an alt and accomplish damn near ANYTHING.

You could start from scratch with a horde of newbies and create a dominant force that you could aim at anything you wanted (and I don't mean taking sov). You could make one side or another dominate in FW, curving the storyline progression. You could raise a force of such strength that an entire region or constellation of EVE would forever be known as Here Thar be Dragons.

Suffice to say, I wish I were in your horrible position.  ;)

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 03 Jan 2011, 20:22 »

A lot depends on what you want out of the game.

I got bored with shooting for invincibility a long time ago. It wasn't in Eve, and it wasn't on anything like as grand a scale as you've managed (I just introduced a character whose strategy altered the PvP dynamic on a troupe-scale Neverwinter Nights server and landed me as top dog for a few excruciating months), but the effect was similar: I got tired of it in a hurry.

My response was to create a literally-cringing wuss, who immediately became my primary character. I've never looked back.

Eve, of course, is unkind to wusses, so Aria is not so much a "wuss" as fundamentally broken. And playing her-- especially when things fall apart-- is a blast. "Winning" is no longer important; all that matters is the character.

(As it happens, "winning" is nearly all-important to this particular character, but she unconsciously sabotages her own efforts, so that's okay.)

By some strange coincidence, I'm recruiting, so if that sort of thing appeals to you, we should have a talk. And if you end up changing your mind and stabbing me in the back-- well, that just makes for great RP.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4