Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Scagga once lost 800,000,000 isk in one night due to his gambling problem?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: RP hats  (Read 16809 times)

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
Re: RP hats
« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2010, 08:42 »

* Istvaan cops a feel

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2010, 16:40 »

But mostly, the only way people would find out about a scheme, is if the schemer tells them about it.

This is my big problem. If I've had my way I would have planted NPCs loyal to me inside Electus Matari and Ushra'Khan, would pay people to give me the times when there was a PIE directorate meeting.

Unfortunately, I can't do those things, and such information is not inaccessible to me in other regular ways. I have no interest in using spy alts, and wouldn't use capsuleer hired spies for many such jobs. I also wouldn't hack forum accounts, try to overhear MSN conversations and the like.

However, such is neccessary to get information that people don't want to get like IC.

I doubt anyone has any idea how many schemes X or Y Merdaneth has cooked, simply because its hard, tedious and often unrewarding to try and find out. All my secret schemes are . No NPC ever betrays me, no employee of Merdaneth is ever bought, no security system is ever bypassed.

Indeed, the best way to get people to interact with your 'evil/good'  schemes is telling people about them, and telling it before it is completed to allow people to interact with it. Hiding RP that you desire others to be interact with is pretty stupid things to do in EVE.

I'll post an 'evil plan' tomorrow, however, in such a way the scheme is believable.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2010, 16:46 »

It wouldn't even have to be true stuff. It could be like Em's gossip wiki, where most of the stuff is totally wrong, even if it has a grain of truth to it. It would just provide more surface area for RP to gain traction, though.

Is there a gossip Wiki just for EM, or for the general public? How would my character learn of such a place IC? This is certainly the first I've heard of it OOC.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2010, 20:21 »

It wouldn't even have to be true stuff. It could be like Em's gossip wiki, where most of the stuff is totally wrong, even if it has a grain of truth to it. It would just provide more surface area for RP to gain traction, though.

Is there a gossip Wiki just for EM, or for the general public? How would my character learn of such a place IC? This is certainly the first I've heard of it OOC.

Its a wiki page on the EM forums, where various anonymous authors write tabloid type stories about various EM pilots.  I dont think they're public, though I would love it if they were. 
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 26 Dec 2010, 11:44 »

Evil/good hat thread up:

Angel Wings acquires orphanages in the Republic

Also, added minor possibility for (in-game) interaction.

But yeah, if you don't publish these things in the manner of 'look at this good/evil' scheme, then its hard to get much RP from it, since it isn't visibile unless I mention it. While it makes sense to do this in secret, I can only excuse revealing it for PR purposes IC.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #20 on: 26 Dec 2010, 13:27 »

Bit of a stretch, being KOS to the Republic, and being enemy militia. Still, RP is RP, and I take extensive liberties myself privately.

Opportunity for Seriphyn to downmouth those liberal hippie Amarrians anyway :P

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 26 Dec 2010, 14:11 »

Bit of a stretch, being KOS to the Republic, and being enemy militia. Still, RP is RP, and I take extensive liberties myself privately.

Opportunity for Seriphyn to downmouth those liberal hippie Amarrians anyway :P

I doubt any Republic officials would allow it. Hence I specified explicitely that I worked through intermediaries.

Also, if you are a standings believer, you can always choose to believe that my good contacts with the Rep Fleet made this happen.

Also, keep in mind are plenty of Amarr-owned installations in Heimatar.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #22 on: 26 Dec 2010, 14:18 »

Oh, it's nothing to do with the fact that he's Amarrian, it's that he's a militia commodore, and "enemy combatant"

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #23 on: 26 Dec 2010, 18:14 »

Evil/good hat thread up:

But yeah, if you don't publish these things in the manner of 'look at this good/evil' scheme, then its hard to get much RP from it, since it isn't visibile unless I mention it. While it makes sense to do this in secret, I can only excuse revealing it for PR purposes IC.

Ah PR, always fun.

Of course my scheme works no matter the response really. The hat is 'one size fits all' you might say.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 27 Dec 2010, 16:54 »

Evil/good hat thread up:

My imagination is failing again, but what sort of interaction do you think is possible in game from this? What are you hoping for?
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #25 on: 05 Jan 2011, 10:40 »

This is what I like to call "The Dick Dastardly School of Evil."

Basically, if you want to be a two-dimensional cartoon character, then by all means go around twirling a moustache whilst explaining your evil plans to your sniggering dog.

But if you want to do evil properly, then you have to play a character who doesn't realise that they're evil.  Maybe someone who does evil deeds because they think that they're acting for the greater good.

As the old saying goes: the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #26 on: 05 Jan 2011, 10:42 »

would pay people to give me the times when there was a PIE directorate meeting.

Like we're that organised...

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #27 on: 05 Jan 2011, 15:08 »

*Dossie Kielle hugs Ogre II
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Goshien

• Wetgraver
« Reply #28 on: 05 Jan 2011, 15:18 »

I find much of this is avoided when you are playing a character who really has no plan at all.

Tiberius Wenchel

• Media Mogul
  • Clonejack
  • soi soi soi
    • Redshift Media on Youtube
« Reply #29 on: 05 Jan 2011, 16:05 »

I wonder if something could be set up. There is so much stuff that it isn't realistic for your character to blab about in public, but that might get leaked other ways - that OOC you might like to leak because it would lead to RPs, and which realistically someone who really wanted to know might find out.

Many RP MUDs have a Rumors board for this kind of thing, and it works very well. I support developing something like this for Eve.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7