Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Vitoc is the antidote to a deadly toxin, not the poison itself?  For more information see Vitoc.

Author Topic: New World Map  (Read 3123 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
New World Map
« on: 20 Dec 2010, 07:54 »

Behold my epic paint skills

It includes associated nullsec regions...which basically means that before the capsuleers alliances, those factions held influence over those regions, and likely had colonies outside the main body (like that Ishukone colony on some nullsec ice world where Gariushi is from). The influences likely still remain, so Fade would be a Gallentean part of nullsec etc.

It's very interesting. Two points that stand out are the enclaves that empires have in each other (Amarr in Gallente, Caldari in Gallente, Minmatar in Caldari to the far east) and the subdivisional borders...I wonder what they are?

From Ombey's 2d maps, the central Gallente area is probably Sinq, as it borders every single other empire. The erratic Amarr enclave near the centre with Gallente is likely Sanctum/Genesis area. The NW Caldari area that penetrates into the Federation is likely Black Rise, with Placid north of that. The far east area of Caldari is probably the Forge.

The central Minmatar area is anyone's guess...Molden Heath in the regional description says how it's the 'center of the cluster' but on Ombey's, it's more likely Heimatar or Metropolis.

Very interesting though. The Caldari and Gallente have very erratic borders...the Amarr and Minmatar seem more continuous.

EDIT - Addition of Ze'ev's cool thing
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2010, 17:01 by Seriphyn »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: New World Map
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2010, 08:18 »

Given the connections to each of the other empires, that looks like Metropolis.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2010, 09:00 »

Given that there are a couple of gates to... Sinq Liason, I think, in both the Amarr and Minmatar FW zones, I'd say that "tongue" of Minnie space is probably Metro.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Vikarion

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2010, 09:47 »

I might be misreading the map, but I thought Caldari were a smaller empire. Looking at that and the number of settled systems from the IG faction info box, they almost seem larger than the Fed, and they are definitely larger than the Minmatar.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2010, 09:48 »

I might be misreading the map, but I thought Caldari were a smaller empire. Looking at that and the number of settled systems from the IG faction info box, they almost seem larger than the Fed, and they are definitely larger than the Minmatar.

More space, less people.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2010, 10:06 »

My attempt at explicating wtf is what.

Stupid empire logos getting in the way. Though I suppose I could grab a clean image from SiSi...

EDIT: Derived these wild-assed guesses by looking at spatial relationships in the flattened map browser. Did you know you can color systems by planet type now? Including shattered.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2010, 12:34 by Z.Sinraali »
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2010, 10:07 »

I think the space expands outwards over the edge of the map, so what you see there is no the entirerity of it. The Caldari may very well just be what you see on screen, but the Amarr Empire would go on and on and on (it's 40% of the populated systems says PF, but not there on screen)

EDIT @ Ze'ev...OOOOOooo, I never thought about it like that...I'm not sure 1 is Tierijev though....it borders the Citadel.

If that's what it is, it also likely shows what the influences in nullsec each empire had, before the introduction of capsuleer alliances holding sov absolutely smashed the ability to worldbuild in nullsec :)

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/Seriphyn/20101220161825.jpg?t=1292862033 Clean one for you Ze'ev
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2010, 10:21 by Seriphyn »

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2010, 10:59 »

Zev's addition of regional names is very accurate on the Gallente area as far as i know.

Makes you wonder thought, why Everyshore and Verge Vendor are not connected, or why The Syndicate has managed to survive on its own without being "slowly" being absorbed into the Federation.

Since syndicate is just a colatition of stations, one station headmaster could decide to switch sides and it would become an issue of seeking the appropiate "thugs" to be defended against retaliation.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2010, 12:26 »

Updated the map. Ended up using a double-plus clean one I got from SiSi myself, thanks anyways Seri.

Bruno, Everyshore isn't connected to VV because of CONCORD. That's it, there's two jumps between them otherwise.

Also, Seri, I think that little blip is Tierijev because it's just above CONCORD space and to the galactic east of the tip of the Citadel protuberance, right where it is on the nav map in-game. I admit I may be biased, however, and am willing to hear any more likely candidates.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2010, 12:51 »

Except tierijev isn't state sov?

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2010, 13:07 »

Except tierijev isn't state sov?

It was until Foiritan got a Caldari Navy Issue bug up his ass. :P

SO FUCK DA HATAZ.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 20 Dec 2010, 13:56 »

Bruno, Everyshore isn't connected to VV because of CONCORD. That's it, there's two jumps between them otherwise.

Two jumps through genesis, yes thats correct.

However i think that after CONCORD being founded and assigned some random space, 100 years ago, the Federation might have considered having a direct link between VV and EV.