EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > EVE Guides, Mechanics & Gameplay

Guide to nullsec system holding wanted

(1/5) > >>

Saikoyu:
Figured this was about the right spot, please move if it isn't.

This came because of a though spawned by the what is your quest thread.  And I've never really found a good one elsewhere.  So, I'm not looking for a guide to surviving in null sec, or living in it.  What I am looking for is a guide or a plan of what it takes for a corp or alliance to move out to null sec, claim a system, and keep it.  So, for the null sec dwellers among you, basically:

How many people do you need?  Do I need a lot more if I'm holding two systems rather than one, or could I hold ten systems with the same amount as one system roughly?

What type of people do you need?  I assume PvPers, and industry, but what is a good mix?  Any special people or types one should look for?

Should you do moon mining?  Assuming you have a low class moon, is it worth it?  What other limits, if any, are there?

What is a good level of defence to hold a system?  Are supercapitals mandatory?  Is "renting" from one of the larger allinaces or groups a good idea or mandatory?  Should one expect to get smashed even in a "bad" system?

For for the RP stuff.  Has there ever been an RP corp or alliance that has made a point of  taking a system and running it as a brand new government?  Given PI, Incarna, and in the future, Dust 514, is there anything that really prevents a group from taking this kind of stance IC or OOC? 

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Milo Caman:

--- Quote from: Saikoyu on 24 Nov 2010, 13:05 --- Given PI, Incarna, and in the future, Dust 514, is there anything that really prevents a group from taking this kind of stance IC or OOC? 

Anyway, thanks in advance.

--- End quote ---

Can't say I know much, but chances are the existing powerblocs will come and stomp on things for the hell of it.

Grr:
Realistically you may need to ally with a larger group, possibly one of the power blocs for this to work for a small alliance.  That might need you to "bend" your RP to fit in unless your really lucky.  I've never been lucky myself sadly.

As for numbers, its not really as simple as you need 2x more if you have two systems instead of one.  If somebody wants your space you might need as many as 1000 people to stop them.  If a larger powerbloc REALLY wants your space super caps will make a huge difference too.

Moon mining can be significantly more profitable than lowsec because of the huge reduction in POS fuel consumption but obviously the risk increases significantly.

Sadly dominion didn't live up to its promises and caused more trouble for the little guys than it prevented but if they do get around to implementing some of the features they promised things could turn the other way.  One significant feature that never got implemented was a rental system that would almost encourage powerblocs to rent out systems to smaller groups.

orange:
Slightly different approach; how many active characters should a system have operating regularly in it before it is overburdened?

This of course varies between systems.

Most players busy themselves with NPC ratting and therefore claim large areas, but low end moons sit empty in sov systems because the holding alliance does not consider it worth the effort (despite the 25% fuel savings vs a lowsec operation that splits even).

--- Quote from: Saikoyu on 24 Nov 2010, 13:05 ---Has there ever been an RP corp or alliance that has made a point of taking a system and running it as a brand new government?

--- End quote ---
When Dominion was released, I gave this a lot of thought.  If corporations operate as profit-seeking entities, then an alliance can operate as a government running a system.  Starbase operators would be required to pay some percentage of fuel savings (say 5%) to the alliance for operating; there is also some minimum number of paying starbases.

There is also the cost of taking a system and how long it will take the cost savings to make it worthwhile.  There is a minimum cost of 1 billion isk just to take the system, not including ship loses or the profitable Starbases.  You also have to hold the system for a certain length of time to gain the profits.  It takes 16 profitable non-faction large towers 16 weeks to produce an ROI on the minimum cost for taking an occupied system.  If you use faction towers or small towers the number needed goes up.

I said all that to say this: have a plan, have an industrial backbone willing to abuse the system's resources.  An industrial backbone working to abuse the system's resources will likely be able to pay for the system's defense sooner than taxing rating income.

Saikoyu:
Well that gives me some things to think about.  Just doing some back of the envelope figuring, I figure 16 POSes would need about 70 people to run 23 7.  And the ever present fear that someone will come along and stomp you because they can.

To follow up on what was said, can low sec moon mining be profitable, or at least break even, assuming a use of PI for some of the fuel?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version