Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Fiery Kernite once led to an epic bar brawl in the Syndicate, leading it to be called "Rage Stone"?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Barrier on Pod Exposure?  (Read 3563 times)

Marcus Gord

• Mathfail Silverback
  • Egger
  • Soldier of Fortune
Re: Barrier on Pod Exposure?
« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2011, 13:39 »

Another thing that's unclear is the ability of a pilot to decant themselves from their pod in space.  I've always RPed it as if pilots can do this.  They drop the ship into a sort of standby mode, decant, and then take care of themselves out of their pod.  It does fit with the mechanics of logging off, and I've always liked the image of the ship "going dark" while the pilot takes a shower and plays with the slaver hound.  I've run into other folks who think that the act of decanting/re-interfacing requires support equipment that isn't on most ships.  I'd like to hear the prevailing thoughts on these.

I believe that the PF written about how pods get in/out of the ship is from game release, before ship maint bays and the like, so it details needing a gantry to handle it that our ships just don't have. But this was stuff written before you could drop your ship into the maint bay of an Orca while you're both in space, leaving you in your pod. If you need a gantry to get the pod out, how does this work?

I don't see why there can't be an option for the podder to leave the pod by choice. We know that if the pod is breached, the brain scanner goes off, but if you choose to leave, surely that wouldn't happen?
Stormcrows.

Will pay for good sig. Enquire within.

You can't take the sky from me

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2011, 13:46 »

I believe it's mentioned that "larger" ships - whatever that means to you - can be provided with gantry systems. Ergo, an Orca, which can store your ship, must by virtue have some type of gantry of its own.

As far as frigate-sized vessels, I can't imagine they're capable of holding the necessary equipment, nor do I think its out of the question that due to the life support and regulation systems of a pod, a pilot couldn't "go dark" while still therein; turn off ambient systems, cut communications, and either remain active to continue commanding the crew or some kinda galnet feed if you were bored, or "going to sleep."
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2011, 15:46 »

First off, when I saw this thread I thought of this note from the PF revisions thread in EVE Fiction:

Quote from: CCP Gnauton
Fixed an error in Chronicle “The Hanging Long-Limb” where it was implied that capsuleers routinely spend weeks or months at a time in the capsule without emerging.

It still doesn't put a hard upper limit on capsule exposure, but it's certainly not "common"; this may come in line with some PF that suggests you're at least partially/subconsciously aware of being in the capsule, even as the majority (if not all) of your senses are rerouted into being the "ship". Such might become very unpleasent eventually, though I'd also guess it varies by the person involved.

As a sidenote, ships where the pilot can exit his/her pod midflight have a name in PF ( "Cross-capsule Variant" ships) are considered "extremely rare" in the cruiser-size range, if I remember TEA correctly.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2011, 16:07 »

Has anyone ever sat in the tub too long, and your fingers turned all wrinkly and prune-like?

Imagine that, times a thousand.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2011, 18:05 »

Has anyone ever sat in the tub too long, and your fingers turned all wrinkly and prune-like?

Imagine that, times a thousand.

Or try the vernix approach mentioned early in this thread where you're smeared with a thick goo -- eventually incorporating shed skin-cells -- which buffers you from the pod goo.

Or say that the pod goo itself has the perfect balance of electrolytes and such so it's not making you go wrinkly and prune-like.

Or be able to guess how long someone's been in-pod for a day or three while they get their hydration levels sorted. People might not stroll casually into a bar after depodding from their six-month stint while someone trained them a super-cap sitter: they might stagger in with some blend of wrinkles, bloating, and a craving for something salty that's easy on an underused digestive system.

Jae Cardas

• budding writer
  • Clonejack
    • Jae's Journal
« Reply #20 on: 01 Feb 2011, 12:52 »

I'm with most peoples opinion that the capsuleer will be able to remain healthy for a prolonged time getting all the sustenance they need from the pod. The only thing that probably limits the functionalty of the ship itself would be the crew. Who would need food, water, etc, etc.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #21 on: 01 Feb 2011, 13:08 »

There totally should be (probably is, IC) a horror action movie about a ship on the run somewhere in the fringes, told by the crew's point of view, where the pilot goes slowly crazy, and refuses to turn back even though the ship's provisions are ending, and how the crew reacts to that, trying to pressure him with no maintenance, then arguing among themselves (preferably violently) about whether to force the pilot out or cut his feeds, trying to rig the ship without a pilot, water running out (insert a recycling failure here), rationing, martial law on ship, crew going crazy too, etc etc.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #22 on: 01 Feb 2011, 13:58 »

It should be a Caldari Independent Navy Reserve ship, of course, which would allow the piece to be titled... :P

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #23 on: 01 Feb 2011, 20:10 »

So long as the egger can speak through a vocal system in the maintenance quarters and say...

"I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Jaeve."
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you
Pages: 1 [2]