Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lai Dai Infinity Systems is a capsuleer partner of the Lai Dai Corporation? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: ENOUGH Already.  (Read 9827 times)

Boma Airaken

• Egger
ENOUGH Already.
« on: 19 Nov 2010, 10:26 »

Can we please stop with the stupid IGS banter?

Can we please stop with arranged marriages...I mean wars?

Can we make RP actually mean something in space without all the stupid threats met with NOTHING?

Can we accept the fact that RP means more than aligning with a faction on some forums?

Can being an RPer in EVE be more than just stroking a character sheet here or Chatsubo?

Where the fuck is the substance. Look at the casualties so far. CAIN, gone. CVA, gone. Stimulus, gone. Achur seperatism, gone. 

I mean seriously. Where is the beef? Hot air is not a substitute. Are we all finally that jaded? Is RP in EVE now entirely text based? Zork - in - space?

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
Re: ENOUGH Already.
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2010, 10:53 »

Ummm.... I think this topic might fall into the "ur doin' it rong" category.

However, in the interest of perhaps nothing more than morbid curiosity, what do you propose as the alternative to the things you find lacking?

I for one like the "stupid IGS banter" as I am role playing a peaceful revolutionary. My "stupid banter" is how a diplomat seeking the peaceful creation of an independent state would go about things. As CEO of my corp and holder of 99% of the corp shares, I could war dec every militia corp that sets foot in Intaki along with every other corp that makes disparaging remarks about my movement. We could go space pew pew all day and all night 23/7. But if you read the PF about the Intaki, it doesn't seem like the right way to RP the scene to me.

That isn't to say that all we do is spin ships in stations. The ILF helped its allies in I-RED with their recent conflict and we regularly carry out our anti-piracy mission (winning some and losing some) as our killboard can attest.

You ask Where is the Beef, a reference to a hamburger commercial. I say to you beef alone doesn't make a hamburger. You need the lettuce, cheese, bacon, mayo, catchup, mustard, pickles and sesame seed bun to really do it right.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:05 »

In order: no, no, no, no, no, it takes too much effort, we're out of cows, yes, and yes.

I think that covered 'em all.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:16 »

IGS has a lot of things that are non-interactable, I think.

Things are presented after the fact, or are public statements of things which appear to be private communications.

So... there's not a lot of reason to involve yourself in things on IGS.

Stuff I do, the only people that involve themself in space lately have been the Ebil Space Nuns. Everyone else would make a comment or two, and that's it.
* Louella Dougans spins ship.
\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:22 »

A lot of us consider ourselves roleplayers and rarely visit IGS. Even more rarely do I engage in The Summit.

I prefer to roleplay through my in-game actions, not entirely unlike Electus Matari's approach (and probably others as well). Want to RP a pirate? Go pirate something, avoid immersion-breaking chat, and you're good to go.

There's room for more than one style out there, of course, and this is the one I generally prefer.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:36 »

A lot of us consider ourselves roleplayers and rarely visit IGS. Even more rarely do I engage in The Summit.

I prefer to roleplay through my in-game actions, not entirely unlike Electus Matari's approach (and probably others as well). Want to RP a pirate? Go pirate something, avoid immersion-breaking chat, and you're good to go.

There's room for more than one style out there, of course, and this is the one I generally prefer.

This version, imo, is far more believable. If I run into another RPer (only happened a handfull of times, but I digress) it falls against the backdrop of how empty, vast, and barren space is, especially in under-populated lowsec. Its more appreciable for its realism.

On the other hand, I've never made an IGS post in my life, because its a waste. It looks as though capsuleers do the exact same thing we do; sit on a forum, posting raeg and refreshing constantly. That's really not how I want to picture the hostile, endless reaches of the cluster, especially when it accomplishes nothing more than entire threads of:

"This is a fact."
"You're wrong."
"No, you're wrong."
"You're a sexual deviant."
"You're a worse one."

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:44 »

If I run into another RPer (only happened a handfull of times, but I digress) it falls against the backdrop of how empty, vast, and barren space is, especially in under-populated lowsec. Its more appreciable for its realism.

Who's to say you haven't? When you pass by some blockade runner who's doing everything he can to avoid that Abaddon whose pilot has a -10 security rating, how do you do know he's not roleplaying?

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:46 »

If I run into another RPer (only happened a handfull of times, but I digress) it falls against the backdrop of how empty, vast, and barren space is, especially in under-populated lowsec. Its more appreciable for its realism.

Who's to say you haven't? When you pass by some blockade runner who's doing everything he can to avoid that Abaddon whose pilot has a -10 security rating, how do you do know he's not roleplaying?

... Mind = blown. :O

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:49 »

(By the by, I totally agree with your post, just thought I'd note that. :) <3 )

Goshien

• Wetgraver
« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:29 »

Not that it helps, but hot air and worthless threats are a pretty accurate representation of real interaction. :P

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:51 »

So if I were planning to sideline Syyl'ara's heated banter and start adopting a more conciliatory tone through a character as the Public Relations Coordinator of the Ishukone Prosperity Exchange corporation to represent the development interests (IG, actually facilitated PI and Industry stuff in Intaki) that Syyl and Yaan oversee security for, would that be better or worse? :9

I'd honestly like to know.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:59 »

Can we make RP actually mean something in space without all the stupid threats met with NOTHING?
You can. Nothing's stopping you. A lot of us are already doing it. What you cannot do is convince everyone else that our way of doing it is TEH BESTEST AND RITE. Because it isn't. It's just what we happen to like.

The only way to do it, is to just get on with it. Don't read most IGS threads. If it sounds like hot air without actual ships exploding to make it convincing, then treat it as such IC too (which mostly leads you to ignoring  it, so it's not really even interfering with other people's RP much). Don't read Chatsubo or Backstage, either, for that matter, except when you are really really bored. Start a RP thingy in the game and ICly contact those who happen to affect it. Ignore those who don't. It's as simple as that. You do not need any sort of "acceptance of the RP community" (which RP community, anyway?) for it. You just need to do it.

« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2010, 13:39 by Elsebeth Rhiannon »

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:59 »

So if I were planning to sideline Syyl'ara's heated banter and start adopting a more conciliatory tone through a character as the Public Relations Coordinator of the Ishukone Prosperity Exchange corporation to represent the development interests (IG, actually facilitated PI and Industry stuff in Intaki) that Syyl and Yaan oversee security for, would that be better or worse? :9

I'd honestly like to know.

Please don't sideline you banter. For a long time I felt like the voice of one crying in the wilderness. It's much nicer to be part of an ensemble.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #13 on: 19 Nov 2010, 13:09 »

Okay, I've been trying to think of a scholarly answer for why the IGS pisses me off in general. So, I'm gonna give it my best attempt, now that the pizza and booze had thoroughly soaked into my brain-parts...

In my opinion, the IGS was either meant to be, or simply should be from my point of view, a reactionary entity. It should essentially function as a subordinate counterpart to the in-game universe. Case in point, if I were the head of my own corporation, and Senn's IC intention was to dismantle a loyal Federation corp, I would start targeting that corp wherever I saw them. After a few weeks of picking off targets, someone would likely notice they were dying to the same corp tag repeatedly.

THEN, the targeted corp would have a reason to hop onto the IGS, and call me out. This serves the purpose of unveiling my attacks, thereby calling that person's allies (if any) to action. I could make a reply if I wanted, or stay silent. As the events in-game escalated, the IGS would respond in kind, and when the conflict died out, so would the news about my corp's attacks.

Instead, what I see is one corp's leader calling out another's due to some inane reason, or one player swearing fealty to a corp/faction as loudly and insultingly as possible to any potential rivals/enemies. This results in a glove-slapping whirlwind of personal attacks, character assassination and whining.

THEN, because of all the hate on the IGS, someone starts trying to target someone else. They're solely reacting, and so essentially have made themselves subservient to whatever the IGS' general consensus is on the battle in question.

Its entirely backwards, and its causing more problems than a forum is worth.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 19 Nov 2010, 13:19 »

IGS, to me, is IC pretty much what it is OOC too (same principle as "whatever happens in the game, happens IC", here): it is a public forum where you can reach many politically and/or socially active capsuleers. You can use that to many things. Some people use it as you describe, for "glove-slapping and whining". Others use it for political debate. Yet others use it the way you would wish it to be used: to publish stuff that actually happened.

The point here is that the decision to use it in a particular way is (as my character sees it) done by the other characters, not the players. They choose if they want to publish something, and if so, whether it's based on actual events or mere wishful thinking. If I see on IGS what looks to me like hot air and glove-slapping and making a huge theatrical mess of a couple of ships exploding in a way that has exactly zero effect on anything in space - that's how I am going to treat it, IC. Hot air and self-importance. (Most of the time, I have no need to tell that to anyone on IGS, though, because for me IC the people engaging in the nonsense banter are irrelevant, so I am not really OOCly interfering on anyone's RP. Which is good, because to each their own. EVE has room for several styles of RP.)

Play long enough, and you will start to know who you should(*) actually listen to, if they open their mouths in public. And play some more, and you will start to figure out the reasons why those people decided to post that thing at that particular moment. And then it starts to get seriously fun.

(*) This "should" ICly means "who actually makes sense", but OOCly it also comes down to "who has an RP style compatible to yours and is doing things that actually affect you". Again, IC and OOC often align pretty nicely to allow you to play with company you consider fun, without having to interfere on other people's play.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2010, 13:41 by Elsebeth Rhiannon »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4