Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the first ways to crack safe spots was to warp past the person and hope your bookmark landed you next to them?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Air Forces and wet navies?  (Read 3613 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: Air Forces and wet navies?
« Reply #15 on: 19 Nov 2010, 08:29 »

I think the British military is in a similar position, Dex. The RAF, for all its pride and tradition, is not really useful in terms of force projection in the modern world, as both the British Army and Royal Navy can fly (well, not the RN, for the next ten years til we got those couple of supercarriers lolol)

However, I like to think that my speculative Federation Air Force is within the confines of being believable.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #16 on: 19 Nov 2010, 13:48 »

The historical necessities for an air force have largely been superseded by missiles and drones in the present day, so I'm struggling to think of reasons to retain such a force in a future setting where we have combat spaceships. I'm guessing that you might retain the name and traditions of an air force, if not the actual capabilities. We mostly seem to go with the naval continuity when it comes to space combat, though.

(And yeah: Royal Navy's LOLCarriers :/)
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #17 on: 19 Nov 2010, 14:01 »

Except that everyone says "roger" instead of "aye aye" when confirming orders and such in EVE, something that got me a lot of mocking when I flew as a scout in EM. (Not a dig at EM, I was just a n00b who didn't know much about EVE culture then. :) )
Pages: 1 [2]