Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The original starship classes in EVE were frigates, cruisers, industrials and the elusive Battleships?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Facts and speculation regarding Sansha's Nation and their intentions (spoilers)  (Read 30812 times)

Bacchanalian

• Omelette

Just wanted to post a brief reply.  This time of year kicks my ass, so sorry that I'm glazing over about half the thread and not taking time to reply to more.

In a PM I just sent Ghost Hunter, I think I summed up my problem with what went on the other day pretty well, so I want to share it here.  He was asking my thoughts on using actual anchored structures, for instance a POS, in such RP, as opposed to cloaking and doing so.  My response was as follows:

Actually, I think that would be a very creative way to do it.  What my complaint comes down to is the fact that there is literally nothing anyone can do about the RP besides spout off in local.  When you're claiming to be using a starbase, for instance, if the empire loyalists want to come knock down your sandcastle, they literally can by reinforcing your POS. 

At the end of the day, that's my bottom line--can the RP be somehow impacted by actions in space?  Can someone who doesn't want to /sip in local still be a part of the action?  Can they still have an impact on the outcome without having to spam emotes and robe-and-wizard hat in local?

I guarantee you that of the 30ish Rote Kapelle pilots we brought down, half of them would be itching to hop on the next Sansha invasion like a carebear would an officer spawn--IF our being there had somehow had an impact on the outcome of the event and they got to see that.  As it was, I can tell you that the fact that our name made EVE News with the killing of that carrier got a lot of non-RP guys interested.  As for measurable impact on the event?  We kept the field clean of random ships, but frankly those ships would have died just as fast to the Sansha had they stuck around anyway--I know, because we lost one to them.

You're going to attract a fringe of EVE players by playing gi joe in local, but if you do that and allow for actual actions to play a role too, you'll find more and more people interested.

I get that for a lot of people, EVE isn't a PvP game (okay, no, I don't get that at all, but I'll overlook it for a moment).  But for most people, EVE is a PvP game, and for RP, particularly RP supported by CCP employees or volunteers, to eschew any sort of actual PvP is going to simultaneously eschew large sections of the EVE memberbase.

Suffice to say using your POS or other in-space shootable structure as a prop in the RP is fantastic from where I'm sitting, because it makes me sit there and think "hmm, do I want to risk my fleet shooting it, does it fit our organization's RP to do so, etc".  Which in turn adds immersion to the event.  Playing /sip in local, on the other hand, destroys the immersion for those of us flying in circles next to the Sansha wondering where the other 50 people that are talking in local are if they're having such a big impact.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette

The below QFT and to confirm that at least some people got what I was trying to say:

I don't agree that "doing stuff for real in space" is less RP-like.  I also don't believe that there is resolution only by "real RP".

Suffice to say using your POS or other in-space shootable structure as a prop in the RP is fantastic from where I'm sitting, because it makes me sit there and think "hmm, do I want to risk my fleet shooting it, does it fit our organization's RP to do so, etc".  Which in turn adds immersion to the event.  Playing /sip in local, on the other hand, destroys the immersion for those of us flying in circles next to the Sansha wondering where the other 50 people that are talking in local are if they're having such a big impact.

I imagine a game where there were dropships heading to the planet, something small and fast and hard to lock. (something for the pilots in inties to chase). Having them leap from the carrier down to the planet, hang around (disappear? Land?) for a few minutes and then reappear at the planet surface and head back out to their ships. I imagine they'd be hard to stop more than a small fraction of.

Explode them and discover "civilians" who can be delivered to the local stations for well wishes of the local population (loyalty points?)

Now, that would be cool.

I'd also add that I do not think this sort of events have to be only for people who really really enjoy RP (let alone make-believe RP). One of the reasons why EVE is so great is that it does not, in most cases, matter much if people RP or not, because from IC point-of-view when they have an impact, they have an impact, and whether they were chatting IC or OOC on fleet chat while making it is completely irrelevant. This is part of what makes EVE such a rich game in events and backgrounds: even people who do not RP are there to create the shared sandbox story.

There are obviously RPers who want to just make-believe, and there are non-RPers who just want to see stuff explode, but I think most people are two categories in between: 1) RPers who also want to have an ingame effect, and 2) non-RPers who actually care about the storylines, official news and events too, even though they do not do any of that stuff in character. I'd guess the majority of players of EVE is in that second category, actually. Therefore making events such that they appeal only to a particular type of RPer would seem rather exclusive. (Conditional, because I do not think CCP intends all events to be like the Sansha ones have been.)

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people

Fuel for the god-modding fire?

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1425167

Surely it's getting a little ridiculous now.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

The difference there is that the players are determining the results rather than making the attempt and letting.CCP decide.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette

Yea, it look weird for me when i readed it... :eek:

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people

The difference there is that the players are determining the results rather than making the attempt and letting.CCP decide.

Yeah, and I doubt the Live Events team would enjoy it much. Even the local pirates who I've never heard of before seem to dislike those claims.

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger

Yea, it look weird for me when i readed it... :eek:

I fixed that on the thread. It's really very ironic, what actions they are taking now to save lives, without realizing the consequences of what they are doing. And its PF, too.

I'll make another reply to the other material in this thread sometime later, as I have a number of things to state...

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

This, basically. At first read-through I saw a couple of ways that could have been written in a way that announced an attempt at all that stuff and then letting CCP decide. At second I had five different rewrites in my head that were screaming to be let out as attempts since they all made sense to me, while leaving the decision in the hands of the event team.

Sadly, I don't have the resources nor possibility to do all the in-game stuff required for such efforts so I couldn't make them happen.

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people

[20:12:46] Anslo > ((if they think im god modding tell em to go back to the RP bars and be emo self important asses thinking they're the RP shit))

There ya have it  :lol:

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

http://www.ihavereturned.com/latestreports.html

CAPSULEERS EVACUATE ANYED VII, ANTEM IV AND V
CAPSULEER INTERCEPTION OF NATION COMMUNICATIONS CONTINUES TO PROVE A CHALLENGE TO ONGOING OPERATIONAL SECURITY. NEW PROTOCOLS ARE BEING DEVELOPED AND WILL BE ESTABLISHED BEFORE THE NEXT ORDERS ARE ISSUED. COMMSEC HAS NOW BEEN PROMOTED TO TASKFORCE ONE. NATION WILL PREVAIL.

CURRENT ORDERS REMAIN. CONTINUE AS PLANNED.

GALNET MEDIA: EVACUATION OF ANYED VII AND ANTEM IV & V COMPLETE

- NATION RELAY 3.12.112

Is it a CCP site? It got acknowledged at any rate.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

Amann Karris

Yes, they're watching.

This message sponsored by the NHB Ultra Happy Chip; ORDER YOURS TODAY!*

*Subliminal advertising provided by Nikiruu.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots

It got acknowledged at any rate.
Very interesting...

Yes, they're watching.

This message sponsored by the NHB Ultra Happy Chip; ORDER YOURS TODAY!*

*Subliminal advertising provided by Nikiruu.
I-- uh, excuse me.  I have to go... place a market order.

Amann Karris

http://twitter.com/citizenastur

If you haven't realized, Nation has entered the Twitter age.

I'm... depressed now.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain

http://twitter.com/citizenastur

If you haven't realized, Nation has entered the Twitter age.

I'm... depressed now.
Sansha's on twitter?

I've suddenly lost all respect for the guy.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12