Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that hovercraft are common vehicles on stations? (p. 88)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The Pronunciation Thread  (Read 14376 times)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: The Pronunciation Thread
« Reply #45 on: 15 Apr 2011, 12:29 »

A lot of the Amarr Militia just sticks to "Hof" (pronounced "Hauf"). Everbody knows what we mean, and no orders get mangled by unfortunate tongue-ties. :P
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

Re: The Pronunciation Thread
« Reply #46 on: 15 Apr 2011, 16:03 »

I speak fluent Spanish, and while that's true in general, it has exceptions (such as "g" and "c"). I don't believe that that holds true for French, either, though I'm no Francophone.

Yes of course.

Though putting aside the crapload of exceptions that come from the old french, every diphtong remains the same and follow the same rules. As for m or n, if you take it in the case of "un" or "bonbon", they are not "n" and "m" anymore, but a new combination that create a whole new diphtong.

So well yes, I misread in the first place and thats not a matter of letter that do never change, but a matter of diphtongs and combinations. Which is still isn't the case in english, for example, where every pronounciation is totally independant of the spelling without apparent rules.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]