Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Band of Brothers killed the first titan in EVE?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Pronunciation Thread  (Read 14377 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: The Pronunciation Thread
« Reply #30 on: 13 Apr 2011, 17:21 »

Oh just came into that thread. To correct a few things that were said above, if you want to pronounce "gallente" the french way, the 'e' is not pronounced, or barely. It is pronounced "Gah-lɑ̃-t", the ɑ̃ being a specific sound only found in french (I think).

Oicx would be pronounced "Wuh-a-cs". Same for Weraroix.

Though I myself pronounce gallente in an italian fashion.

Sinq Laison is just dumb pronounced in french ("Sɛ̃k Lai-zɔ̃" -> 2 specific french sounds), I pronounce it in english. Honestly, pronouncing gallente terms in french is a pain in the ass, it does not always fit the language well.

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
« Reply #31 on: 14 Apr 2011, 16:01 »

I've been trying to mash Hyasyoda down into two syllables, something like "Hyahs-yoda" with a hard "H" up front and the aforementioned jedi master at the end. Hi-as-yoda works too.

Everytime I see this name I will now have a mental image of Yoda handing Luke a joint. "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'". :)

Personally, I think Hyasyoda sounds best if you break it as such: Haj-a-sajj-oda

The j's in this would be pronounced like you would in "jut" or "juice"? I remember seeing somewhere that phonetic spellings can be quite different depending on where you're from, just making sure.

I gotta say, the most irritating thing I've ever had was someone who called the Bhaalgorn the Barrelgorn and pronounced the CH in Machariel with the CH sound instead of the K sound.

Unfortunately, my brain has turned "Machariel" into "Mackerel".

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #32 on: 15 Apr 2011, 02:28 »

Rodj would probably argue that the correct way to pronounce Gallente is as "degenerate perverts"   ;)

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #33 on: 15 Apr 2011, 03:04 »

Personally, I think Hyasyoda sounds best if you break it as such: Haj-a-sajj-oda

The j's in this would be pronounced like you would in "jut" or "juice"? I remember seeing somewhere that phonetic spellings can be quite different depending on where you're from, just making sure.
Phonetic /j/ (yes, yacht), so not /dʒ/ (juice, jam, giant)

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #34 on: 15 Apr 2011, 03:19 »

Could somebody help me here? :oops:

I sort of named myself after the Myyhera system but I have no idea how to pronounce a double 'y'. Is there even a real world language that uses double 'y'?
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #35 on: 15 Apr 2011, 03:35 »

Could somebody help me here? :oops:

I sort of named myself after the Myyhera system but I have no idea how to pronounce a double 'y'. Is there even a real world language that uses double 'y'?
The way I think Finnish does it is with a syllable break. Myyhera would have a syllable break between "My" and "Yhera"

Similarly, Myyona would be split into "My" and "Yona". "Yona" would likely be pronounced more like the word "ion" than "yoda"

Keep in mind that approaching this with a somewhat English pronunciation will simply butcher the vowel sounds.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #36 on: 15 Apr 2011, 03:54 »

A lot of pronounciations would depend on how J and Y were pronounced - given that the Caldari language is clearly based partly on Finnish, Jita is actually probably "Yee-tah", and any system with a Y in its name will have an odd "oe" sound that doesn't appear in English.

Try and wrap your tongues around Vlillirier. Vincent will remember the times back in 2008 we used to go out on roams with the rest of the militia, and I, as FC, would spend five minutes telling people to align to Vluh... Vlilllil... Vlurrll... and then Kringlebageren would play the Murloc sound from World of Warcraft :lol:

Lyn Farel

« Reply #37 on: 15 Apr 2011, 05:15 »

lol, I don't have this problem with Vlillirier, but I understand why it can be annoying to pronounce. :p

Ive had a lot of trouble with Hofdjalgund. I think I have approximately mastered it for all these years spent near Auga, but what the hell...

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 15 Apr 2011, 05:38 »

In gallente space, you should keep in mind that you cannot use french as a key on how to pronunciate the names.

Mainly because the Federation is what it is.

A collection of different cultures.

Hence the different system names should be pronunciated in the way that the culture does which named it.

For example, Mies. Finnish word for man. Clearly you pronunciate it the Caldari way.
Same for all the system names that seem 'oriental'.
Because there was no Jin-Mei when the systems were named.

One thing about double vowels, or in case of double y in Myyhera.
You do not break the word into two pieces, you just lengthen the vowel.
If you want to break it in two, its Myy-hera.
In finnish, each and every letter has a specific way to pronunciate it that does not change, ever.
That is where the finnish accent tends to come from.
We read the letters, not the words.

Little bit of something to twist your tongue around.

A like a in father.
B like a b in bee.
C can be a K or an S.
D like a d in Dumb.
E like ea in feather.
F like f in FFFUUUU.
G like g in grand.
H like h in happy.
I like e in evil.
J like the start of u in use.
K like c in cat.
L like l in laughter.
M like m in mill.
N like n in nill.
O like o in pole.
P like p in pie.
Q like ummm, eh, there is no finnish words with the letter.
It's just there because of the Latin origins of the finnish written language.
R like dr lengthened in drop.
S like s in suppose.
T like t in tap.
U like the double oo in soon.
V like v in venus.
W is a double v in finnish, sometimes its used like a u.
X combination of k and s.
Y like ... uhhh, I don't think it is used in english at all. Here's a finnish word with a double y
Z like z in a zap.
Å like O.
Ä like a in flap.
Ö like, something thats not in english either. Like oe in Boehm.

« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2011, 05:42 by lallara zhuul »

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #39 on: 15 Apr 2011, 06:50 »

Where I live, people in two different areas speaking the same language often pronounce the same word completely differently due to accents. I imagine the difference would be even greater when the same language is spoken on two different planets

Orthic

• Wetgraver
« Reply #40 on: 15 Apr 2011, 07:40 »

Where I live, people in two different areas speaking the same language often pronounce the same word completely differently due to accents. I imagine the difference would be even greater when the same language is spoken on two different planets

Quiet Kaz, we view the empires as homogenized masses, remember?

lol, I don't have this problem with Vlillirier, but I understand why it can be annoying to pronounce. :p

Ive had a lot of trouble with Hofdjalgund. I think I have approximately mastered it for all these years spent near Auga, but what the hell...

I think we usually shortened that to “Hof-jobble-gobble”, something like “hof” plus the sound a turkey makes. It worked well enough on the fly.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #41 on: 15 Apr 2011, 07:48 »

I think we usually shortened that to “Hof-jobble-gobble”, something like “hof” plus the sound a turkey makes. It worked well enough on the fly.

Hof-jald-gund

Lyn Farel

« Reply #42 on: 15 Apr 2011, 08:16 »

In finnish, each and every letter has a specific way to pronunciate it that does not change, ever.

Like in most languages I think. Or at least, all the latin originated languages.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #43 on: 15 Apr 2011, 09:53 »

I speak fluent Spanish, and while that's true in general, it has exceptions (such as "g" and "c"). I don't believe that that holds true for French, either, though I'm no Francophone.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #44 on: 15 Apr 2011, 11:28 »

I speak fluent Spanish, and while that's true in general, it has exceptions (such as "g" and "c"). I don't believe that that holds true for French, either, though I'm no Francophone.

Pretty much. In Spanish, say, 'gato' against 'gente' (with 'gato' being a hard 'g' similar to 'gate' or whatever in English, and 'gente' being more of a rough 'h' sound).

French is similar. 'm' and 'n' can either be comparable to their use in English -- 'madame', say -- or more nasal vowels, like in 'un' or 'embouteillage'. The latter word there in itself points to something else; French is big on diphthongs which kind of get in the way of it all being pronounced the same way. 'e', 'eu', and 'eau' sound pretty different to any other combinations of those vowels, for example.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4