Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That there was a total information blockade during the Caldari occupation of Placid, only lifted when the Caldari Navy in the area was destroyed or driven out?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Pronunciation Thread  (Read 14375 times)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: The Pronunciation Thread
« Reply #15 on: 08 Nov 2010, 13:50 »

With Amarrian things and Caldari things you can probably go with the latin pronunciation.

Amarrians use Latin for religious purposes so I would think that there is some of that in the phonetics of the language, while the finnish written language was cooked up by a finnish scribe working in Germany and translated the Bible straight to finnish with the latin phonetics (or whatever you call them.)

So Caldari and Amarrian, Latin/Finnish.
Gallente do have finnish system names like Mies (Man) and loads of other stuff so I doubt there is rules that apply to the pronunciation of the Gallentean stuff across the board.
Minnies, they would probably go with the slavic/swedish way of pronunciation with things, the CCP are icelandic so you might get a clue from that direction.

So forget about english, forget about American, none of the nations in the EVE cluster have anything to do with those two languages. Except the Jovians.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #16 on: 08 Nov 2010, 14:59 »

Well, there's a lot of intermingling between the British and French nowadays...

Regarding Latin, that's all very interesting...Gallente NPC names are Latin/Greek, with Roman name schemes, such as Praktor Legionarius and Praktor Centurion, Arx, etc....

It's all so mixed up that I think it's difficult to just go "this is that"

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #17 on: 08 Nov 2010, 15:30 »

I still want to say "Gah-YEN-teh".

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 08 Nov 2010, 16:54 »

And whoever put Anher and Arnher so close together, both with gates off Evati, was playing a cruel joke.

Especially because one of them is lowsec, and the other is highsec. AND YOU CAN NEVER TELL WHICH ONE. :cry:

We've had people jump into Minmatar highsec because of this.

We're now very careful to distinguish then, which leads to FCs delivering wonderfully rolled 'r's in "ARRRnher: A-R-N-H-E-R" and "Anher: A-N-H-E-R".

Anyhow... you can get some pretty wide variations in pronunciations. For instance, I'm in the "In-tah-kee" crowd, but would pronounce Teonusude "Tee-ohn-oh-sood". Similarly, almost everyone I know pronounces Amamake as "Ah-mah-mah-kee", but there's someone in the Amarr Militia who pronounces it as "Ay-may-may-keh". This led to a long silence, followed by a couple of confused calls of "What?" the first few times he did it.

Well, Teonusude is 'Teon' for practical use and 'Teon:-you-are-so-very-huge,-we-are-overwhelmed-by-your-greatness,-ommm' for laughs and as a metaphor for anything... generously-sized. Crossing Teon isn't as bad as bunny-hopping across OJOS-T, but it's something we do a lot more often.

In a previous life I've known a fleet to sit around for a discussion of how to pronounce "Madirmilire".

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #19 on: 08 Nov 2010, 18:54 »

I used to have Arvo for this sort of thing :(  

Me: "Fleet, align Vvvvvil..." *throat clear* "Veler...verlah..ver... Damn it!  Fleet, align Vehlalalalarurer...er....for fuck sake Arvo tell them to align to the V one!"

Arvo: "Fleet align Vlillirier"

« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2010, 19:08 by Hamish Grayson »

Vieve

« Reply #20 on: 08 Nov 2010, 19:14 »

Most fleets I've been flying through Oicx with have called it "Oink".

Gallente do have finnish system names like Mies (Man) and loads of other stuff so I doubt there is rules that apply to the pronunciation of the Gallentean stuff across the board.

And here I thought 'Mies' came from somebody at CCP's being an architecture fan. ;)

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #21 on: 11 Nov 2010, 21:23 »

Ive always pronounced "Oicx" as Oicks whether thats right or not I have no idea. As for some of the other system names that make my head hurt just thinkig about I just broadcast in fleet.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 17 Nov 2010, 01:57 »

Like Lallara noted (and others too), for Caldari and Amarr the Classical Latin or Finnish pronunciation works quite fine. (The only difference is stress, which in Finnish is always in the beginning of the word, but varies in Latin.) Any other language with 1:1 correspondence between written characters and spoken sounds would work, too.

So yes, I do also pronounce I-shu-ko-ne. Kaa-la-ki-o-ta. Su-kuu-ves-taa.
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/finnish.pronunciation.html

Bataav

• Egger
    • Intaki Liberation Front
« Reply #23 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:21 »

I say "Gallent" with the emphasis on the e. I don't pronounce the last e because there's no accent, but I'm not sure if I'm being too pedantic expecting that kind of thing.

With Sinq Laison I seem to split French and English pronunciation by saying Sank Laison (as opposed to the all French Sank Laiso (that o being a flat vowel as in 'bot') not pronouncing the final consonant.

I also say Ishukone with a cone on the end...
#FreeIntaki | #IntakiPride

Bureeiku

• Blake Rathen
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #24 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:18 »

Not having a clue how the Finnish language is spoken, I always default to the Japanese pronunciation of Caldari words as they would be handled in their romanized form, or roomaji.

(BTW, double vowels are given double length, therefore the 'oo' is a drawn out 'oh' instead of the sound in the word 'who'.  Thus roomaji is "rohh-mah-jee" or "lohh-mah-jee" as r and l are indistinguishable to native Japanese).

In the roomaji system, Ishukone, would be vocalized "ee-shoo-koh-neh", and each syllable given equal emphasis. Jumping back into the wilds of RP, the beauty of the universe is surely that local dialects must abound, so I enjoy when things are pronounced differently than how I would figure. Thus, "Ish-uk-kone" is another great way to say it, especially when it is how the CEO does it. ;)

PS.  Bureeiku is the phonetic translation of Blake into roomaji, see Gairaigo for more.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 10:25 by Bureeiku »

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #25 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:50 »

Caldari names pronounced as if they were Japanese in romaji comes pretty close to Finnish, apart from emphasis.

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
« Reply #26 on: 13 Apr 2011, 15:01 »

Does anyone care to give "Hyasyoda" a go?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #27 on: 13 Apr 2011, 15:33 »

(Excellent necro, BTW. Seriously.)

I think of it as "high-as-Yoda". I imagine the green Jedi master on LSD.

It would explain a lot.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #28 on: 13 Apr 2011, 15:40 »

Does anyone care to give "Hyasyoda" a go?
Personally, I think Hyasyoda sounds best if you break it as such: Haj-a-sajj-oda

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #29 on: 13 Apr 2011, 17:04 »

It liiiiives
I

I gotta agree with the high-as-yoda pronunciation, thats just how 've always seen it.

I gotta say, the most irritating thing I've ever had was someone who called the Bhaalgorn the Barrelgorn and pronounced the CH in Machariel with the CH sound instead of the K sound.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4