Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That it is illegal to import walnuts on to the planet Amarr Prime?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Advice to new EVE RPers  (Read 6800 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Advice to new EVE RPers
« on: 04 Nov 2010, 14:42 »

Occasionally, I see questions from EVE players who want to get involved in RP. They may have never RPed before in any context, or just in PnP, or perhaps just not in EVE after having done so in other games.

What advice would you give somebody who wanted to start RPing with others in EVE?

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger
Re: Advice to new EVE RPers
« Reply #1 on: 04 Nov 2010, 14:51 »

Research, a lot. Knowing what you want to be, and knowing about it makes it easier to find an opening to get involved with other players.

Places such as the Heiian College for Caldari RPers are great places to get in and learn some stuff and develop your own ideology and political stance within your community. Places such as the Summit also generally work to this degree.
 :) Just something.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #2 on: 04 Nov 2010, 15:12 »

Research, a lot.
Constructive link is makes meh post moar constructive.
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2010, 15:13 by Ken »

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #3 on: 04 Nov 2010, 15:18 »

Read. Ask. Listen. Learn. Speak.

In that order.

Oftentimes someone new the RP scene bursts onto the IGS from out of nowhere with a two-day-old pilot's license and an angle that they've thought up but not researched properly. The result? Well anyone whose seen Shark Week on Discovery has a pretty good idea and for those that haven't: It ain't pretty.

EVE has a huge backstory, both canon and player driven. A new role player should read as much of it as they can, particularly focusing on the information that will pertain to their play. Next they should ask questions from the people already on the scene and for cripe's sake, LISTEN to what they say.

Only after they've learned about the world they're going to to inhabit should they speak and make their presence known.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #4 on: 04 Nov 2010, 15:43 »

Get away while you still can.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #5 on: 04 Nov 2010, 15:51 »

EVE RP is a purely consensual venture, with the only non-consensual actions being things that fall within a range of "If X happens, I will accept it regardless".

Keep this mindset as you RP with others, because even non-consensual PVP RP must be given your consent to even function. If both sides do not have a give and take relationship to establish mutually acceptable ways of building RP, it will fall apart.

This exists because there are many different systems used for EVE RP by people. If common ground cannot be respectfully established, the options available to you tend to be limited in scope.

You're building a story, the game only provides the mechanics to make it real.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Major JSilva

« Reply #6 on: 04 Nov 2010, 16:01 »

Occasionally, I see questions from EVE players who want to get involved in RP. They may have never RPed before in any context, or just in PnP, or perhaps just not in EVE after having done so in other games.

What advice would you give somebody who wanted to start RPing with others in EVE?
I'm still generally new Eve RP. The advice I'd give that helped me was ask questions, a couple people are more then willing to answer them. IE Ask in OOC, hop on OOC ventrilo, read the chronicles. I also went through IGS, wiki and backstage looking at Moira's history stuff from incursions, past wars.

Places such as the Heiian College for Caldari RPers
Heard it mentioned a couple time, never actually join the channel to check it out.

Get away while you still can.
I think its to late for all of us......

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #7 on: 04 Nov 2010, 16:39 »

It's never too late. >.>

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 04 Nov 2010, 17:10 »

For a slightly different, develop-in-play perspective:

Read the EVE RP summary.

Read just enough about the EVE back-story and races to see if there's anything that really appeals or will really bother you.

Try to hook up with some RPers who seem okay.
  • Skim RP-related forums like this one
  • Join some RP and OOC channels... chat to people, but also be patient

Play a freshly-graduated rookie. Ask questions. Learn -- and make it up -- as you go.

(I can't in good conscience suggest attempting to devour the EVE prime fiction before you begin. I do recommend that you try to be an ordinary-ish person making your way in this extraordinary 'world'.)

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 04 Nov 2010, 17:19 »

1. Have fun.

2. Try to arrange your RP and RP ideas in such a manner that it encourages other people to participate and have fun too. Stay away from the adversarial RP until you have a better grasp of the world.

3. Don't worry too much about reading all the backstory, it is not necessary to have fun RP-ing. Just keep away from spewing facts if you haven't read much.

4. This is not a tabletop RP game. The RP world does not revolve around you, in fact, despite your own illusions of grandeur you'll likely be considered nothing something of a nobody at first. Don't worry, if you offer something that is interesting to other RP-ers, they'll go along in no time. Try to contribute to their story, and you'll often find them willing to contribute to your own.

5. Space Nuns rule!

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 04 Nov 2010, 20:16 »

SPACESHIPS HAVE CREWS.

Marcus Gord

• Mathfail Silverback
  • Egger
  • Soldier of Fortune
« Reply #11 on: 04 Nov 2010, 20:53 »

SPACESHIPS HAVE CREWS.

And you don't sit on a bridge to command your ship. You're floating in a pod, wired into the ship.
Stormcrows.

Will pay for good sig. Enquire within.

You can't take the sky from me

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 05 Nov 2010, 00:21 »

And you don't sit on a bridge to command your ship. You're floating in a pod, wired into the ship.

Watch the EVE Incarna teaser video. 1:03 minutes, and it gets a lot across.

(The pod shorts are silly, though.)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 05 Nov 2010, 00:35 »

If you have a new angle on something, a new view on RP for a faction, something unique and interesting.

Consider yourself being downplayed and ridiculed until you have stuck with your RP for at least a year.

Otherwise you are just a trolling alt noob.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #14 on: 05 Nov 2010, 05:38 »

I would highly recommend trying to find a RP corp/alliance and community one likes. Different RP communities have different cultures IC and OOC.

First, the process of looking for a suitable corp already provides a lot of nice RP topics and options, as your character has a good excuse to talk to different people, asking about things and telling of herself. Secondly, sharing a corp and activities creates natural RP opportunities with your corpmates, as your character gets to know their characters. And finally, even if you later decide to move on, characters having shared RP history is great material for later RP. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3