Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Fleet Coordination Commission or FCORD was created in direct response to Nation Incursions. It main purpose is to alert of Incursions and help marshal fleets to repel them.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Chronicle] The Desert Fathers  (Read 4328 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
[Chronicle] The Desert Fathers
« on: 01 Nov 2010, 11:01 »

chronicle

oh now that was just plain awesome.

also, Seri's gonna cream himself when he reads that.

also, "that hellish thing" is the Caldari methods of torture machine, C/D?

also, the suits were maybe Dominations?

also, the artwork for this great, its good to know that the sort of mining outposts I wrote as existing on Utopia III actually exist.
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2010, 11:04 by Nikita Alterana »
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
Re: [Chronicle] The Desert Fathers
« Reply #1 on: 01 Nov 2010, 11:39 »

The mention of archaea caught my attention, and now it's burning a hole in it. Coupled with what we know about Jovians' methods of ship-building... bacteria that affect metal? Yes please.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #2 on: 01 Nov 2010, 12:07 »

The question comes is if its a naturally occurring microorganism or some old remains of the old Jovian Empire that was floating through space.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #3 on: 01 Nov 2010, 12:12 »

What do you see that links the MiBs to the Dominations (or to the Cartel in general)?

Random Lost Soul

« Reply #4 on: 01 Nov 2010, 12:27 »

What do you see that links the MiBs to the Dominations (or to the Cartel in general)?
I'm assuming this:

1. Mention of Sansha, and
2. Mention of "giving information to competitors".

Sansha, Angels, competitors... it was a thought that crossed my mind as well.

Also, the name of the chronicle was was fascinating.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Fathers

I wonder if that is significant, or merely interesting.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #5 on: 01 Nov 2010, 12:36 »

Given that CCP Abraxas (Hjalti) wrote the chronicle, I'd surmise that it has significance of some sort.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #6 on: 01 Nov 2010, 12:48 »

I'm assuming this:

1. Mention of Sansha, and
2. Mention of "giving information to competitors".

Sansha, Angels, competitors... it was a thought that crossed my mind as well.

Also, the name of the chronicle was was fascinating.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Fathers

I wonder if that is significant, or merely interesting.

also the location, its nullsec south, fairly close to Sansha space but clearly not actually in Sansha space. So that would mean...angels.

could also be working for a capsuleer though. we'll see.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Random Lost Soul

« Reply #7 on: 01 Nov 2010, 12:52 »

The question comes is if its a naturally occurring microorganism or some old remains of the old Jovian Empire that was floating through space.
Why does it have to be either/or?  :bear:

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 01 Nov 2010, 13:18 »

So... hanging long-limbs, furriers, and now these little buggers... who says there are no aliens in Eve.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 01 Nov 2010, 14:10 »

There's no other sentient life in Eve, the devs have previously made that pretty clear, and in my opinion that's a good thing.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #10 on: 01 Nov 2010, 14:17 »

Why does it have to be either/or?  :bear:

If it's both it would open an interesting history route along the Jovian's technical development.

I would be inclined to think the masters of information would keep such naturally occuring specimens far away from contemporary reach.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Random Lost Soul

« Reply #11 on: 01 Nov 2010, 20:20 »

If it's both it would open an interesting history route along the Jovian's technical development.

I would be inclined to think the masters of information would keep such naturally occuring specimens far away from contemporary reach.
Well, something did bring about the end of multiple Jove Empires.  The Rogue Drones are building Jove-like structures, Sansha (apparently) has a Jove battle station, and The Burning Life talks about grown Jove structures...

...just saying it's rather intriguing.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #12 on: 02 Nov 2010, 07:54 »

also, Seri's gonna cream himself when he reads that.

Where? I don't see it!!  :(

Random Lost Soul

« Reply #13 on: 06 Nov 2010, 12:59 »

The mention of archaea caught my attention, and now it's burning a hole in it. Coupled with what we know about Jovians' methods of ship-building... bacteria that affect metal? Yes please.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaea#Significance_in_technology_and_industry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaea#Mutualism

So Istvaan, how much do you know about Rogue Drones and Sleepers?

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #14 on: 06 Nov 2010, 16:56 »

I've never stepped very deeply into the Sleeper/Sansha storyline, but I have a theory that I'd like to put forward in light of Random's comment and links.  This may have been articulated before, but as I said, I haven't really followed things closely.

[theory]

Rogue drones, sleepers, Sansha, and the Jove act like the elements of an adaptive immune system.  As a whole, they seem to treat hostility itself as a disease or cancer to be eradicated from the body of humanity.

This immune system was relatively dormant for the first few years of the Empyrean Age, but was watching closely everything that happened in YC110 (to include what happened with the Insorum the drones were protecting for Shakor) and it just got fed up (remember how disappointed the Jove were when the Caldari and Gallente turned out to still harbor "primitive" warlike tendencies).  So over several months they put together their little multidimensional door-breaching operation with isogen-5 (i.e. pixie dust/red matter) bombs planted around key gravity anchors in k-space and w-space (like Seylinn).  When those blew, they switched on the full immune reaction sequence by waking up the sleepers (the long-lived memory cells of the system) and giving them a link to k-space (opening up the lymph nodes).  The rogue drones play the role of helper T cells and B cells and are now working with the sleepers and Jove to propagate a new clutch of killer T cells or antibodies in the form of the resurgent Sansha menace.

In this metaphor, the "uplifted" millions are immunized cells.  The trembling masses of the cluster, driven to terrific fear of increasing Sansha incursions, actually constitute the body to be saved by this system.

Capsuleers and resistant conventional forces are viruses or cancerous cells that must be eliminated.

And somewhere in w-space there's some drone/sleeper/Sansha/Jove Übermensch musing thus as he considers the state of New Eden:
I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal in this cluster instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism in this universe that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this cluster. You're a plague and we are the cure.
The ultimate question that this theorizing leads me to is whether the disease is conventional (and the immune system is doing a good thing) or if it is in fact an autoimmune condition and the system meant to save the body is actually tearing it apart.

[/theory]

EDIT: I posted before really thinking about whether this was fully applicable to the thread.  This post could definitely derail the discussion, which is supposed to be about the chron.  If mods would like to split it, that's cool.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2010, 16:59 by Ken »
Pages: [1] 2