Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sukuuvestaa Corporation, or SuVee as it is commonly known, is the head of the self-proclaimed 'practical' faction within the Caldari State? Read more here.

Author Topic: [Contest] EVE: Iconocracy "Your Name Here" Flash Fiction Challenge #3  (Read 5777 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots

The project, the contest... your challenge--

"As Seen on Holo"

Soft power wins wars before a shot ever need be fired.  In New Eden, Gallente material culture is supposedly so pervasive that the soda-hawking Quafe corporation was (in at least one situation) the only organization equipped to resolve a heated dispute between the Federation and Empire when traditional diplomatic channels failed.  We can imagine Caille's Crystal Boulevard to be a Mecca of shining advertisements and consumerism, and the Caldari are no less advocates of a free market and open competition.  I can only dream what the Civire Billy Mays might be selling late at night on an NOH intrastation holo channel.

And I wonder how well can you influence and persuade your audience.

Write a 400 word or less New Eden product advertisement or propaganda piece.  This can take any form you like (holovid script, magazine advert, editorial diatribe, political speech, etc.), but your entry must at least subtly try to convince the reader to buy or believe something.  You can stump for an item, ship, service, faction, or cause that already exists in the game or invent something completely original and pitch that.  If you go with a subject that we've all seen before, try to think of a new angle or unexplored perspective.  Remember, you're trying to convince the reader to make a positive conclusion about your subject, not a negative one.  So no dirt-slinging attack pieces aimed at your enemies.

But wait, there's more!  :!:

You: There is?  :o

Yes!  If you ACT RIGHT NOW, you can submit a dirt-slinging attack piece under one condition.  You have to attack your own character, corp, faction, or chosen cause in the entry!

You: What?!  :eek:

That's right!  Submit a self-effacing entry and receive absolutely NO restrictions on perspective and tone.

You: Amazing!  :o

23 hours and counting...

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned

For the love of fuck, Ken, make these things 48 hours long and give us some sort of warning the day before.

It's the weekend. Most of us are ingame for prime time.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me

Mammal Tafren, Intaki Liberation Front

Transcript of Speech by Luminaire General (Name Blacked Out) to FDU Capsuleers Re: Intaki Liberation Front

(with emphasis) THEY HELPED THE CALDARI CAPTURE THEIR OWN SYSTEM!

Yes, Capsuleers of the Federal Defence Union, their own home system. The cruel occupation and disenfranchisement that Intaki now labour under was brought upon them by their own ‘patriots.’ (make suggestive speech marks gesture here)

You know who I mean, brothers and sisters, those unrepresentative swill the Intaki Liberation Front. (boos)

For months now, in Intaki and the surrounding systems, they have been preying on our pilots, then scuttling back to Prosperity Station to hide like rats when we bring sufficient numbers. (calls of ‘Shame’ from the crowd)

Now, it’s time to strike them where it hurts. (murmurs of assent)

We are going to send a message to these traitors (cheers of ‘Yeah!’ ) that they won’t forget. If we have to destroy every ship they have, annihilate their capacity to do business and hence, to make war, in order for them to get that message, we will! (clapping)

Plans are being set in motion to clear the Caldari out of Placid. We will come down upon those scum like Rouvenor’s blade, and anyone who stands in our way, who stands with the enemies of the Federation, they shall be swept away in the cleansing fire that we have planned for our enemies, in salvos of antimatter and the deathly anger of our drones. We shall leave none in our path alive!

(Massive applause)

Some others may question our methods. (grumbles) I say to these people that all traitors get what they deserve. The Intaki Liberation Front and all others like them, all those terrorists who destabilise our Federation from within, shall get what’s coming to them, and when all the guns have cooled, we will be the only ones left standing.

(Shouts of assent)

So now I ask, who is with me? (Quietly. There are murmurs from the crowd)

Who is with me? (Louder. Some cries of assent. )

WHO IS WITH ME? (Yelled. The crowd roars. )

So let’s show those scum the price of treachery!
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2010, 19:08 by Mammal Tafren »

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger

Hey, it could happen. Seriphyn's not the only one, you know.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

A set of Federation public posters found plastered on the back of a newspaper stand in a city in Shixiong on Chakaux, Lirsautton during the Sang Do civil war

HERE TO SERVE
FEDERATION PEACE MISSION TO LIRSAUTTON
总会和平任务

We RESPECT your culture

We RESPECT your traditions

We RESPECT your people

The Federation Army 5th Mobile Regiment (联邦军队), along with allied Sang Do paramilitaries, are here to PROTECT your way of life. Please COOPERATE at every opportunity.

Remember, compliance may mean the difference between LIFE and DEATH

BE AWARE
总会和平任务

Insurgents belonging to OVERLORD ZHI WA (霸王智华) have been reported to be active in THIS AREA. Please report ANY suspicious activity to your nearest Federation Army peacekeeper* or police officer.

If you sight an individual or group of persons who you believe may be an insurgent, DO NOT attempt to intervene yourself. Dial 110 (one-one-zero) IMMEDIATELY with details regarding to their last known location, and any physical descriptions you can spare.

Remember, APATHY costs LIVES

*Federation peacekeepers may be identified by their RED helmets

CAN YOU HELP?
总会和平任务

On 98.05.18, twenty-eight (28) men and women were killed after an WCV (weaponized civilian vehicle) detonated here in Tayong Square (电广场). It is believed that a WHEELED, RED TRUCK drove at high speed, crashing into market stalls before detonating almost immediately, severely injuring up to a hundred people.

Were you in the area at the time?

Did you see or hear anything?

If you have any information that may be of use to the continued protection of Shixiong, please call the Federation Army Military Police (军队宪兵) on 011-152-685-241 or Federal Police Investigations (FPI - 警方调查) on 011-518-017-663

Remember, your SECURITY is our PRIORITY

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger

Character: Arvo Katsuya
Corp: True Slave Foundations
--------------

The scene starts in the middle of dark, bleak space. What originally was a dot, the camera drone gradually zooms to a heavily battered Raven, its shields and armor destroyed, its thrusters and warp engine shot, as it continuously drifts onward.

It then shifts to the interior of the command room of the ship, as the crewmen are struggling to stay on their feet, some already collapsed on the floor from exhaustion. One of the crewmen, dizzy, falls to his knees.

"No more food, or water commander... we've been adrift for a week! Our communications are lost... what do we do!?!"

"I don't kn---what's that?"

The camera shifts to what they are viewing onscreen, a small object as it approaches, before the camera transitions to a closeup of a speeding Phantasm. It does not slow down, spearing the front part of the ship. In a dramatic display of swirling colors and holoeffects, four beautiful girls with varying prothestics burst into the command room. They all shout in unison.

"WE'RE THE PHANSANSHAS!!!"

All of you look so exhausted
Try this out, we have them frosted!

One of the girls briefly poses with a can of vividly colored soft drink, before the four of them toss cans to all the crewmen.

Do ya wanta, wanta Phanta!

They all wearily drink the can they were given, and almost instantly, they look revived and invirgorated. Soon after, more attractive men and women with different cybernetics arrive behind the Phansansha Girls, and begin to form a conga line.

One of the Phansansha Girls then approaches the commander, flirting with him the side profile of her face that shows her cybernetics, all a shimmering platinum. She bats her eyes, while giving the man his can.

You look thirsty cute commander
Have a drink, come, meander!

The commander takes a gulp hesistantly, and then loosens his collar and with a grin, joins the conga line.

The holoreel comes to close, as an enthusiastic male voice states,

"Try refreshing Phanta! A delicious fruity soft drink made with real pineapple!"
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2010, 22:14 by Arvo Katsuya »

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots

This challenge is officially closed.

Only four entries in under the wire this week.  Thanks to each of you who submitted something for this one.  Very creative take with the campaign poster, Jianni.  I'm sure you didn't have at least a first draft of that sitting around on your hard drive somewhere already...   ;)  Only one more challenge to go folks, so keep your eyes peeled.

@ Ashar "for the love of fuck" Kor-Azor (supporting that as your new official sobriquet, btw)--the rules will be quite a bit relaxed for the fourth and final challenge.  You should have no shortage of time, so I look forward to seeing what you put together for that one.

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger

Honestly. That was just me not doing my assignments last night is all.  :D

Benjamin Shepherd

Damn Ken, you're right there for closing time. It's like you are some sort of machine designed for this forum to appease us, the roleplayers.

You are, aren't you.

Vieve

Damn Ken, you're right there for closing time. It's like you are some sort of machine designed for this forum to appease us, the roleplayers.

You are, aren't you.

Uoka nahuone do hinmonaatsa.
Hi, oyiit hijen hinmonaa.

(*runs before Stitcher recognizes this ... or Ken corrects the grammar*)

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned

@ Ashar "for the love of fuck" Kor-Azor (supporting that as your new official sobriquet, btw)--the rules will be quite a bit relaxed for the fourth and final challenge.  You should have no shortage of time, so I look forward to seeing what you put together for that one.

MY SOBRIQUET IS YOUR DOOM!

And yeah, gonna 'submit' stuff late to all your contests eventually. Bam.

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger

If its any consolation Ashar... do ya wanta Phanta?