Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Zegerth Kelja is the eccentric Sansha Underseer of True Slave Foundations?

Author Topic: Wanted: The Dark Art of Diplomancy, by Elsebeth Rhiannon, Public Relations Wytch  (Read 2912 times)

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned

Mata said something silly and it snowballed, but nevertheless - we have no diplo guide here as far as I can tell. Chime in, whether or not you're Elsebeth.

And as I said to Charity, being called a witch (or a wytch) isn't derogatory. It just means you're magical.

Everything else should be self explanatory.
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2010, 07:30 by Ashar Kor-Azor »

Marcus Gord

• Mathfail Silverback
  • Egger
  • Soldier of Fortune

Do want, really. Always good to learn new tricks  :P
Stormcrows.

Will pay for good sig. Enquire within.

You can't take the sky from me

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot

All the guide you ever need, just replace alien by whatever fits the situation.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned

Post reported for excessive demotivation.

Grr

• Wetgraver

Copy pasted directly from my old forum along is Elsebeths original guide with my own cliff notes which I've left in for amusement value (in italics)

While an enemy of the alliance Elsebeth Rhiannon is one of the best PR people in new eden alongside the likes of Hardin, Archbishop and Tharrn.  These rules or PR should be examined by ALL members of corp hoping to post in the IGS tho please treat them as a guide rather than gospel.

Comments on each where needed are below.

Rule #1: no, it is not enough to know yourself that you are doing a good job, how you look in public does matter.
Bare in mind being viewed negatively by certain entities is not always a bad thing IC, OOC nobody should view EFY posting as negative.

Rule #2: people who are not paying attention to how they make your corporation / alliance look like when they appear in public should not be allowed to talk in public. Better yet, they should not be hired in the first place. (Corollary: If you allow your pilots to appear in public, you should have a dedicated PR staff monitoring it.)
Command monitors external posting, if something specific should be avoided or a certain post retracted etc a post will be made about on this forum.  I don't expect this to happen very often.

Rule #3: there is nothing to be gained from engaging in "smacktalk", that is, bashing your opponents in public.
Part of our rules and pilots who break this one will not last long in the alliance.

Rule #4: whether or not what you are saying about your opponent is in fact true, #3 still holds.
Totally correct, there is a time and place to throw around smack, and that place is not in Epitoth.  You may from time to time see the odd alliance member do it on CAOD, we are however better than that.

Rule #5: if you think rules #1-#4 do not apply in your situation, you should not be doing PR in the first place. Probably not talking to anyone outside of your family, either.
Enough said :)

Rule #6: negotiations with both your enemies and your allies should be done in privacy; the public forums are for addressing the general populace. (Sidenote: it is possible to make addressing the general populace look like talking to your enemy, see "open letters".)
All forms of diplomacy should be done by or at least authorised by command.

Rule #7: do not lie and do not publish unconfirmed rumors as the truth. This will initially make giving a good impression of yourself a pain in the ass to do in certain situations, but in the long run when the audience knows you just do not lie, it will work to your advantage.
Probably the most important of the rules as we don't want to see the alliance branded as liers.  A bit of spin on the truth however, never a bad thing.

Rule #8: when your opponent is busy making themselves look bad all by themselves, there is no reason to interfere. (Corollary: if you can see the opponent looks like a moron in public, so can the general audience. No need to point it out to them; just sit back and enjoy the show.)
Applies in particular to most irrelevant muppets ones.

Rule #9: if you do not want to discuss something, do not bring it up yourself. (Related observation: peace and unity is rarely achieved by insulting the ones you wish to be in peace and unity with.)
The expression if you don't have anything intelligent to say don't say anything at all is as true in EVE as anywhere else.

Rule #10: only provoke the enemy when you are prepared for the war declaration.
Only CVA command may decide if we are ready, wanting another war so please refrain from provoking the enemy without authorisation from myself.  Current wartargets of course are exempt.

Elsebeth's Original Rules can be found here: http://www.eve-search.com/index.dxd?thread=343391#4900702

Additionally disclaimers suggesting your views do not represent the alliance do not cover you.  While in CVA you DO represent the alliance when posting on the IGS and while some have different views and opinions we must rigidly back each other and our allies up not posting contradicting information and/or making ourselves looks stupid.

Where possible, try to get our name out there in a positive light.  So many view the Amarr as only one way to be RPd.  This is far from the truth however.
Also remember that while something may be acceptable for a CVA member to say or do, it does necessarily hold true here.  Our morals, and RP focus I would like to think are better than most of the alliance.
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2010, 09:09 by Grr »

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette

That's not so much a guide on diplomacy, though, Grr, but rather some rules of thumb on PR. Different things, though there's an overlap and interaction.

I'd prefer it if you edited it so that it was clear which parts are mine and which are yours, too.

Grr

• Wetgraver

My comments changed to italics.

In the absence of anything else posted I posted your rules on PR which are imo very helpful for public diplomacy.  Since their mostly common sense I've pushed for them to be used in a number of places including 1PG and CVA.

Now if somebody wants to post a guide on private diplomacy that would be nice ;) (god knows you don't want me to do it)

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette

Don't mind people sharing those, of course (they are public), and thanks for the kind words.

Just saying diplomacy is not (just, or mostly) PR.