Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Battle of Tears, between Minmatar and Ammatar forces in YC102, was one of the highest casualty battles ever fought in New Eden.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Thinking about the factions without lolFrench stereotypes ...  (Read 10357 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

Those both seem really accurate, to me.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette

Unlikely comparisons, hm?

ORE: Jacob Waltz. They know where the gold mine is. Only they. And they're not gonna tell anyone.

Caldari State: The Brethren of the Coast. A loose but codified coalition of separate but similar profit-based enterprises (each crew corresponding to a corp).

CONCORD: The (old) Catholic Church. An overnational organization with its own set of laws and a myriad of social and political functions, funded and supported by several different states, many of whom have tense political relationships with each other. On many occasions, friction also occurs between the organization and the governments of the "member states". States who exist outside of the organization are likely to be considered hostile by default by the organization and those inside it.

The Minmatar Republic: Poland. A nation with a long tradition of getting invaded, occupied, subjugated and wiped off the map by big and aggressive neighbors who feel entitled to do so, yet they doggedly continue to reappear as a sovereign state (Poland is actually more impressive than the Minmatar Republic, since it's been able to do so repeatedly - though never twice in quite the same location).

Sansha's Nation: The Mormons. A utopist dictatorship consisting of dissidents, setting up shop in the middle of nowhere, while facing extreme hostility on moral grounds from outsiders.

The Khanid Kingdom: England under Henry VIII. When the local ruler's ambitions are thwarted by the central politico-religious institution of the larger region, he chooses to have his entire country secede from said institution rather than comply with tradition and submit to its authority.

The Gallente Federation: The British East India Company. "You Intaki and Jin Mei look so handsome in Gallentean uniform, don't you agree? And no, of course the grease on those ammunition cartridges aren't in violation of your ancient taboos...whatever they are."

The Amarr Empire: Microsoft. It is everywhere, and it wants to decide what your virtual world should look like. Its tentacles reach to every corner of known space, threatening pockets of freedom and resistance everywhere, demanding that you conform to their standards, their visions, and God help you if you're tried and found incompatible. And they will not stop, ever. You know it is true.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain

Discussion of gallente / caldari relations deserves its own thread, so I have split the topic
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran

I have long presented arguments that the Caldari State is similar to the early United States (1776 to 1860) / the Confederate States of America (1860-1865), where the megacorporations replace the individual states.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran

I think the Amarrians are more like Smurfs.
Which makes the Blood Raiders the Black Smurfs.
Which would make the Gallente a bit like the Evil Wizard Gargamel who wants to catch the Amarrians and make soup out of them, kind of culturally consume them.
The Minnies are a bit like Gargamels cat Azrael, bit roughed up, always getting kicked and the Smurfs always play on its hunger for Smurf flesh to trick it into hurting itself in hilarious ways.
The Caldari are more like the Wartmongers, thinking that having most warts is something to be proud of.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned

The Gallente Federation: Microsoft. It's slogans are everywhere, and it wants to decide what standards your virtual world should meet. Its tentacles reach to every corner of known space including the drone regions, threatening pockets of cultural  and economic independence and resistance everywhere, economically leveraging you and quietly demanding that you conform to their interests, their values, their soft imperialism, and God help you if you're tried and found a threat. And they will not stop, ever. You know it is true.

Fixed your poast, Katla. Turnabout - fair play? :P

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned

Addendum.

Dat MicroSoft, huh?

Natalcya Katla

• Omelette

Fixed your poast, Katla. Turnabout - fair play? :P

How's that comparison unlikely?  :P
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned

'cause everyone thinks they're so free and awesome when they're nubkins, before they read about what a criminal Fioritain is?

Natalcya Katla

• Omelette

There aren't any nubkins here, Ashar, just bitter old vets.  :D
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned

...Join my corp.

Robert Kauliford

• Clonejack
    • Symon's Blog

* Robert Kauliford breaths in

Possibly controversial

Minnie Republic = Ireland circa 90 or so years ago, various political groups all believing they're the only hope for the nation, shit blowing up everywhere, a little bit left over still loyal to the occupiers, everyone else still holding a massive grudge against said occupiers, shit getting blown up.
* Robert Kauliford breaths out

Hey I think I'm onto something here  :D

« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2010, 09:45 by Robert Kauliford »

Vieve

Do you mean a minmatar character with roots in the feds or minmatar character who's moved in to the Federation afterwards, or juat either or?

Zagamesh comes to mind as a Matari who is a Fed citizen I think.

Eh.  Beneath his Sebiestor mother's genetic contribution, Zag's a blue-blood Gallente.  He comes from the same pretentious Garouni sociocultural background as Celeste.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

Do you mean a minmatar character with roots in the feds or minmatar character who's moved in to the Federation afterwards, or juat either or?

Zagamesh comes to mind as a Matari who is a Fed citizen I think.

Eh.  Beneath his Sebiestor mother's genetic contribution, Zag's a blue-blood Gallente.  He comes from the same pretentious Garouni sociocultural background as Celeste.

Is there information somewhere available on this pretentious Garouni sociocultural background?  :D

Eva

• Queen of Roleplay
  • Wetgraver
    • A Mote in God's Eye

Dav consistently cited the State as being very similar to Singapore and I'm inclined to agree with him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3