Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that non-capsuleer viewership of the Intergalactic Summit reaches into the hundreds of millions and vehement debates rage within planetary communities based on the positions espoused there by capsuleers.

Author Topic: Re: When RP is not RP  (Read 742 times)

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
Re: When RP is not RP
« on: 28 Sep 2010, 11:55 »

You can hold whatever position you like. But the more extreme the public position, the more resistance you will face.

Since this topic is entirely targeted to me, apparently, I will address the specifics of a discussion we had. Seriphyn's character had, at one point, began complaining that my character was picking on him, ICly. Soter-the-character responded: don't you see the irony of saying you're being picked on, while you're kidnapping innocent civilians? Seriphyn-the-character had no response. The discussion ended due to moderation.

Now, there's an in-character disagreement that exists here. It is limited to that. Our RP positions can be diametrically opposed in many ways, while being limited to that, RP positions. However, taking it to the point of personal grievances is a bit far-fetched.

Saying that you're being 'oppressed' for your RP choices is essentially stating that, ICly, your character's behavior and operations are in some manner being curtailed or limited. That is clearly not the case. My character can, of course, do that, if he feels it is necessary.

Saying you're being 'oppressed' for your RP choices OOCly is just rather bizarre. The characters are what interact, not the people. Seriphyn the player and I haven't spoken in a month or two, save perhaps a PF debate or something. PF debates are legitimate interactions over differing interpretations of what limited information CCP provides us. Our interpretations of PF may or may not determine certain differences in our in-character responses. However, they do generate greater understanding of the situation and context to our character responses.

We could say, for instance, that the Black Eagles really are ruthless and evil to keep the Federation 'strong'. Well, that might be true, but my character will still disagree with the necessity and the means of such an approach, as such, he will argue against the actions taken under the aegis of the SDII. My OOC understand of the situation is largely the same as everyone else's. But my character's position has been laid over years of RP, namely, what he views as a principled interpretation of classical liberalism and the Federation founding documents.

He will go to such lengths as publicly condemn what he views to be unconstitutional acts of said government should they adopt policy that undermines said principles.

But yes. I think that about covers it. I'll make clarifications as necessary.

Also, didn't Seriphyn Inhonores have a product line of something with his name endorsing them, or something? Things like that are what my character used to found his IC statement towards seriphyn-the-character.
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2010, 11:59 by Julianus Soter »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: When RP is not RP
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2010, 12:19 »

[mod]A good deal of the post is constructive, but I don't like to snip-edit. Please feel free to repost the generalities without turning this into a "response to an attack" or such. Thanks![/mod]