Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gradient (GRD) is an independent elite capsuleer unit affiliated with the Minmatar Republic?  Read more here

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: When RP is not RP  (Read 6576 times)

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
Re: When RP is not RP
« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2010, 04:55 »

If we are going with the idea that every podder is something of a celebrity (to those who aren't podders) then it seems unlikely that the average podder would be talking about said celebrity status to other podders. After all, they're celebrities too.

Now, some podders are more famous than others, and indeed are famous within the podder community itself. That is a slightly different situation. I can't say that any of my characters would view Seriphyn that way. Chribba (and there are IC reasons), Istvaan, Evanda Char, etc. - sure.

I would also add that while being a podder in general may confer celebrity status, it may not translate into being known personally cluster-wide. That is, people who know you are a podder might treat you like a celebrity, and people who would have heard of you because you are from their town, or frequent their station, or what have you, might have heard of you, but I have serious doubts that everyone in the cluster knows of every podder. I would think that more generally, 'Podders' as a group are celebrities.

An analogy might be professional sports players. To make this international-friendly, lets go with football (soccer). Everyone knows who David Beckham is - that's your Chribba or Sir Molle. Many people probably know everyone on the teams that they support. Very few people in say, Europe, are probably familiar with every player on various South Korean professional teams. But professional soccer (football) players as a group are still celebrities, of more or less acclaim depending on location.

That would be my view. Celebrity is a fairly tricky thing, even in RL. It is no doubt more complicated in Eve. 

As I see it, if you have to go around telling people that you're a celebrity, then you're not really a celebrity.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2010, 04:57 by Rodj Blake »

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2010, 06:36 »

An analogy might be professional sports players. To make this international-friendly, lets go with football (soccer). Everyone knows who David Beckham is - that's your Chribba or Sir Molle. Many people probably know everyone on the teams that they support. Very few people in say, Europe, are probably familiar with every player on various South Korean professional teams. But professional soccer (football) players as a group are still celebrities, of more or less acclaim depending on location.

I very much doubt Chribba and Sir Molle can claim higher fame than Seriphyn if we look at the total population of New Eden and not just capsuleers alone. I of course assume that the core worlds of New Eden are vastly more populated than the fringe worlds.

Consider the nature of pop-fame and who the gossip magazines write about. There is always greater attention towards celebrities most people can relate to. Pretty much all federation citizens will have interest in the war with the Caldari and will pay attention to what a high profile person like Seriphyn has to say on the subject. Especially as he makes effort to follow the general opinion, riding the wave like a true pop-idol.

What care does a common federation citizen have about what Sir Molle and gang are doing somewhere far away and totally independent from the federation, even less how much Veldspar Chribba has managed to mine so far.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 29 Sep 2010, 06:38 »

The question is not if seriphyn is a "celeberity". It is whether considering him a person seeking celebrity status in-character is an out of character attack or not. :P

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #18 on: 29 Sep 2010, 08:05 »

I said that if you can keep it IC, then the beef is gone...but if you want specific quotes then...

[ 2010.09.15 00:42:59 ] Julianus Soter > btw seriphyn.
 [ 2010.09.15 00:43:02 ] Julianus Soter > I just called you out.
 [ 2010.09.15 00:43:08 ] Julianus Soter > There were no hangings. full stop.

[ 2010.09.15 00:51:54 ] Julianus Soter > when incarna comes, seriphyn.
 [ 2010.09.15 00:52:01 ] Julianus Soter > you're just going to be another dude in a suit who goes to bars.
 [ 2010.09.15 00:52:05 ] Julianus Soter > You won't have minions.
 [ 2010.09.15 00:52:16 ] Seriphyn Inhonores > i thought crew were minions :(

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #19 on: 29 Sep 2010, 08:48 »

[mod]Please take specific disputes to PMs.[/mod]

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 29 Sep 2010, 09:16 »

The hangings issue was an ancillary topic. Your character can say whatever you want to say in public. But mycharacter can say whatever he wants to say in public, also. Without any definitive evidence or proof forming the basis of said statements, it becomes a game of dueling banjos. There's no meaning to any of it because none of it has any substance behind it. That was the purpose of my character's response and my discussion with you OOC, and those quotes. I had grown frustrated with the whole IGS deal.

As an example, your character can say that Tibus Heth liked action figures as a young child, and my character might counter he used a fusion-powered pogo stick, and never played with dolls. Because we have no PF regarding Tibus Heth's childhood, there's no way to evaluate who is right or who is wrong. Saying that because I claim a different IC position than your character, I'm OOC trying to undermine your roleplay, is silly. This applies in general, as well. A person holding different IC viewpoints and positions isn't undermining a player. It's a character-character interaction.

As an ancillary topic, body-snatching humans from planets is all well and good. You will face in-character consequences for it. Amarrians see that all the time. However, claiming legal legitimacy to do so, attaching yourself to a NPC organization for which there is extremely limited information about. . . and indeed, it is implied that all operations of said NPC organization would be highly classified, discrete, and secret anyway, seems to strain belief, OOC and IC. That causes the present set of disputes between myself and Seriphyn, but it's an example of a larger problem roleplayers can have when dealing with NPC organzations, like the Dominations, or a megacorporation. I think it's an object lesson/discussion we should assess to improve our RP into the future.

Bringing that back to the purpose of this thread, there will be discussions about what is good RP procedure because of interactions with NPC organizations, and what breaches plausibility/believability. Discussions of that nature necessarily need to occur out of character. However, like any rational discussion between human beings, taking a different side to an issue does not necessarily imply there is a form of antipathy or animosity. Perhaps momentary frustration can occur. But raising an issue of RP procedure discussion to a personal dispute is pretty absurd, in my opinion.

Some people may try to strong-arm a player's character into a niche, saying that they can't RP their characters a certain way. That is not a valid approach. However, observing what their character is, and formulating in-character responses towards or against said character, or conducting OOC discussions regarding plausibility, are entirely valid approaches, and indeed, are vital if roleplay is to survive.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2010, 09:24 by Julianus Soter »

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #21 on: 29 Sep 2010, 09:23 »

It is one of the reasons I rarely read the IGS anymore, and the Summit is one of those channels I am mostly in just to show my face on the list. Shame of the good stuff I am missing out on.

There was also the "lol ur no angel anymore" when I was in Veto. Like, you know, being part of a group means you automatically and totally take over everything that group stands for. Not sure if I should be shocked or grateful for such naive way of thinking.

As to how I deal with it? Well, see previous paragraph, I ridicule it, because it is quite frankly a silly thing. People tend to reap what they sow, so there ain't much effort to be put into it. And I'd rather spend my effort doing something productive and worthwhile.

Three words: New Eden Assembly
back me up councileroz

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #22 on: 29 Sep 2010, 18:32 »

Three words: New Eden Assembly
back me up councileroz

I concur.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #23 on: 29 Sep 2010, 20:12 »

Eh? You guys overthink things I thinks.   People feel more comfortable talking about/rping about stuff they understand so that's what they'll talk about.   It's a normal human thing.

Now if you made your character's personality a certain way you can get away with tapping on the 4th wall a bit. :D

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #24 on: 29 Sep 2010, 20:19 »

I don't think I call you awesome nearly often enough Izzy.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #25 on: 29 Sep 2010, 20:47 »

Too much individuality imo. Carrying over RP from multiple mediums.

No such thing as an emo cutter vampire master of fetishes who flies spaceships in EVE. Oh, wait, can't "hinder RP creativity".

Sorry for my tone, but there are limits.

EDIT: Not talking about you, Nikita. Just in general, the overall "vampire" feel of RP I see that crosses normal Sani Sabik boundaries.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2010, 21:16 by Benjamin Shepherd »

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #26 on: 29 Sep 2010, 21:22 »

Too much individuality imo. Carrying over RP from multiple mediums.

No such thing as an emo cutter vampire master of fetishes who flies spaceships in EVE. Oh, wait, can't "hinder RP creativity".

Sorry for my tone, but there are limits.

EDIT: Not talking about you, Nikita. Just in general, the overall "vampire" feel of RP I see that crosses normal Sani Sabik boundaries.

Also, this.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #27 on: 30 Sep 2010, 08:54 »

Ben I worked with the blooders directly and never saw an emo cutter vampire master of fetishes.  A few might have been emo but that's about it.

Most of the weirdies I see usually hide in their own special bars anyways.  Just avoid the bars, avoid the weirdies.  I find them fascinating though.

Just cuz they be different doesn't mean it's totally bad.  It's when they won't stop whoring it up to get attention is when the silly bar gets crossed.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2010, 08:55 by IzzyChan »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #28 on: 30 Sep 2010, 09:01 »

Ben I worked with the blooders directly and never saw an emo cutter vampire master of fetishes.  A few might have been emo but that's about it.

Most of the weirdies I see usually hide in their own special bars anyways.  Just avoid the bars, avoid the weirdies.  I find them fascinating though.

Just cuz they be different doesn't mean it's totally bad.  It's when they won't stop whoring it up to get attention is when the silly bar gets crossed.

Yeah, I'll agree with Izzy here. We really don't have twitards rping in eve. The only person I know who strays close to being a "space vampire" is definitely not emo in any way, and is actually one of the most level headed people I interact with.

I will say, there are issues with RP being carried over from other mediums, things like Ber Kan's Umbrella Corp, where its like....wat? But I think the people who do that, are the ones who are new and don't understand the setting or have anyone to help teach them. Once they learn about the real game universe, they realize they don't need to pull in other media to make it interesting.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Aodha Khan

« Reply #29 on: 30 Sep 2010, 09:15 »

I hear the term space vampires used a lot but have yet to see anyone in Eve who acts out that character. What are you referring to Benjamin/Senn?
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2010, 09:17 by Aodha Khan »
Pages: 1 [2] 3