Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Scagga once had a bodyguard by the name of 'cuddles'?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Corp hangars  (Read 5890 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: Corp hangars
« Reply #15 on: 26 Sep 2010, 08:54 »

Saxon,  it sounds like most of your members could utilize a single hangar for the "freebies," perks of being in the corporation and you may need another hangar for POS fuel and directors.  Perhaps a directors-"take" and all-"view" blueprints hangar so members can create copies for their own use.  This means you probably will have 3 hangars unused - so what?

Slightly related - is there a corp tax?  I ask because this could be considered a form of insurance.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #16 on: 27 Sep 2010, 09:10 »

Saxon,  it sounds like most of your members could utilize a single hangar for the "freebies," perks of being in the corporation and you may need another hangar for POS fuel and directors.  Perhaps a directors-"take" and all-"view" blueprints hangar so members can create copies for their own use.  This means you probably will have 3 hangars unused - so what?

Slightly related - is there a corp tax?  I ask because this could be considered a form of insurance.

I think we will likely end up going toward something like what you have suggested here. I might break the freebies into a couple of hangars to make it easier to find things.

We do have a corp tax, but those funds are used primarily to fund things like our anti-pirate bounty and our hull replacement programs.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 27 Sep 2010, 18:07 »

We do have a corp tax, but those funds are used primarily to fund things like our anti-pirate bounty and our hull replacement programs.
Sorry, I have a "bad habit" of thinking from an economic/business perspective in Eve and this does not make sense to me unless you have a larger number of PvEers who gain a measure of protection from effective PvPers.  As for hull replacement, it is added insurance and rewards negative behavior (losing), but makes lots of sense if engaging in activities to achieve corporate goals.

It can quickly become a discussion of what does a corp tax pay for, if anything.  This can be extended up change for alliance taxes.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #18 on: 28 Sep 2010, 05:54 »

I'd suggest one division, available everywhere, with things such as:

Fitted t1 frigates and destroyers, some t1 cruisers.

More expensive things go into hangars that are more restricted. With a rank structure, someone's squadron boss could obtain equipment for junior people. That sort of thing.

I've found the station containers, are rather complicated and fiddly to use. They don't hold assembled ships for example.

And, while you can put blueprints into a query-only hangar, to in theory allow people to use them to build stuff, the roles they need to do that, also let them do stuff with all other corporation factory jobs, which is not necessarily a good thing. e.g. drunkpilot pres rong butan situations.

There are occasional rumours of corporate UI overhauls though.
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2010, 08:18 by Louella Dougans »
\o/

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #19 on: 28 Sep 2010, 08:44 »

Sorry, I have a "bad habit" of thinking from an economic/business perspective in Eve and this does not make sense to me unless you have a larger number of PvEers who gain a measure of protection from effective PvPers.  As for hull replacement, it is added insurance and rewards negative behavior (losing), but makes lots of sense if engaging in activities to achieve corporate goals.

It can quickly become a discussion of what does a corp tax pay for, if anything.  This can be extended up change for alliance taxes.

It's best not to think of the ILF as a corporation. It gets messy if you do. We are a political movement made up of pilots from a wide variety of professions. Pilots give according to their ability and receive according to their need. Everything that is done is done to collectively advance our goal of a safer and more prosperous Intaki.

Initially, we had no corp tax. Then we had a 5 percent tax to pay for our offices. Then my corp members told me that they wanted to pay more tax to pay the corp back for the things they had received. Who am I to argue with that?

It's interesting that you say that hull replacement encourages negative behavior. I've never seen that in an ILF pilot. Whenever a pilot loses a ship and puts in the request for a replacement they are usually humble and apologetic to need the service. They want to contribute to our cause, not be a burden on it.

I think that goes back to the culture we have developed internally. Unlike some Intaki separatist groups whose focus was to tear things down, the ILF has always been focused on building things up.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #20 on: 28 Sep 2010, 08:53 »

The "corporation" model works great for some sorts of pilot organizations. I'm thinking of Gradient, for example, and Hell's Librarians -- industrial corps, if you will. But for other organizations, such as political movements (e.g. ILF), military units (factional warfare), and cooperative individual pilots (pirates, explorers, traders, etc.), it breaks down rapidly.

Frankly, the "alliance" model works better for many things, if it weren't for that pesky 1b fee that's too expensive for many groups. Each individual corporation retains the ability to launch their own starbases, have hangars and wallets, etc., as well as issue contracts and market orders. Personally, I like the approach of "small pieces, loosely joined", where each pilot is relatively independent but supportive of each other. Alternately, an alliance could have many small corporations, where each "corp" is more or less analogous to what most folks currently consider a division.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #21 on: 29 Sep 2010, 00:39 »

A lot comes down to the reason for which a corp exists. A lot of corps only exist as "a banner" to fly under.

If all you use a corp for is a collection of people, who enjoy a common activity (mining, PvP) and do these things together, then there isnt much need  for corp or alliance hangars or programmes. Its when you get to a point when it becomes a group of people who want to fly together AND support one another things become easier if you work together, pool resources and have a propper system.

The first BPO I had wasnt mine. I proposed the idea to buy some BPO's, corp members contributed ISK for the cost and got access to it. All subsequent BPO's have been bought with corp tax. When the corp moved to WH space we needed 600mil ISK and called on all shareholders to contribute capital or face a dilution of shareholding.

Without aiding eachother we would most proberbly still be mining and mission running in high sec.

You just need to be sure of who needs access. I run a method where you have no access unless it is needed, and you ask. Most members can view all hangars, but why do you want "take" rights out of the ore and minerals hangar?

EDIT: I can see how the method proposed by Cassillia (loose alliance) could work for a corp such as mine. For instance, if we found a group of people we want to fly together with and opperate with, like a group of like minded political allies, an alliance could work because we keep our independance and ability to aid one another as a small corp like we have been doing, without risking any corp merger or loss of assets though theft ect. If things dont work we leave and move on. But this could easily be accomplished without an alliance though shared comms channels, shared forums and shared standings. But I suppose you dont get the "shared banner" to fly under if you do this.

« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2010, 02:56 by Graanvlokkie »
Pages: 1 [2]