Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hubert Caissor was a Gallentean senator who, along with his entire family and personal wealth, disappeared aboard the starship Peralles while jumping from the Dom-Aphis system to Iderion.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: GH-SC recruiting directors... in other corporations  (Read 7352 times)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: GH-SC recruiting directors... in other corporations
« Reply #30 on: 28 Sep 2010, 10:45 »

Know anyone else that would fit the bill besides Mirial? I don't. As a result of this article, I now know the player behind Mirial went into therapy. Ergo, violation of confidentiality.  :yar:

I find your argument is flawed.  

While it is possible and even likely that the reference is correct, it is not certain that the person in question is the player originally behind Mirial.  Theft, deception, scamming etc. is common in EvE, and I believe it extends far beyond documented/reported cases.  If one cannot be certain beyond reasonable doubt, it is unwise to make claims of professional misconduct.  I'm sure you'd feel the same if it was yourself under scrutiny. That said, studies (including one I have conducted myself) have shown a dysproportionately high prevalence of mental health disorders in MMORPG users, which can be correlated with usage.

On the other hand, if you're so certain when you talk about professional misconduct, why not take it up? You can earn yourself another headline and damage somebody's career...*sarc*

As a lawyer, I operate under NDAs all the time, in addition to attorney-client confidentiality.  And basically, yeah, I think this doctor was professionally irresponsible, probably even outright misconduct.  EVE is a small community, and the people in EVE who have lost $17,000 dollars in an overright, social betrayal is a very small universe.  Confidentiality should mean just that, not speaking in vague terms so that it gives the strong implication of a very few specific individuals.

This doctor was revealing highly incriminating patient information so he could get publicity, professional attention, more patients, and thus money.  Even if the doctor wasnt aware of how small and tight-knit the EVE community is, thats really no excuse, its why you keep your mouth shut when dealing with confidential matters.  I find the doctors actions pretty indefensible.  

EDIT: btw, the correct standard of the burdern of proof for professional misconduct (as a tort) in the US (where this guy is practicing) is "preponderance of the evidence", "beyond a reasonable doubt" is for criminal matters....
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2010, 10:58 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #31 on: 28 Sep 2010, 11:01 »

I think I love you.

In a totally EVE way.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 28 Sep 2010, 11:47 »

Tort reform...much needed.

Dex_Kivuli

• Dex 2.11b
  • Egger
« Reply #33 on: 28 Sep 2010, 23:23 »

Hmm. You know, if I were to tick off someone to the point that they tried to hunt me down in RL, I'd feel like I...succeeded. I mean, it's not every day that you can manage to create crazy like that, and all the more because the other person has to participate in it.

The trouble is - in situations like that - you haven't created the crazy, you've just drawn it to yourself. People who decide to hunt someone down like that in RL are more than a little unhinged to begin with.

Vikarion

« Reply #34 on: 28 Sep 2010, 23:46 »

Hmm. You know, if I were to tick off someone to the point that they tried to hunt me down in RL, I'd feel like I...succeeded. I mean, it's not every day that you can manage to create crazy like that, and all the more because the other person has to participate in it.

The trouble is - in situations like that - you haven't created the crazy, you've just drawn it to yourself. People who decide to hunt someone down like that in RL are more than a little unhinged to begin with.

Yes. Regrettably, I've always had the urge to stack the blocks as high as I can, and then start pulling out the bottom ones...

Dex_Kivuli

• Dex 2.11b
  • Egger
« Reply #35 on: 29 Sep 2010, 22:43 »

Yes. Regrettably, I've always had the urge to stack the blocks as high as I can, and then start pulling out the bottom ones...

Having just read that reply Vik, I've had something of an epiphany: you really should join the GHSC. Sounds like a perfect fit.  :yar:

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 29 Sep 2010, 23:14 »

:eek:

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #37 on: 30 Sep 2010, 11:06 »

Having just read that reply Vik, I've had something of an epiphany: you really should join the GHSC. Sounds like a perfect fit.  :yar:

I've just instiuted a Lai Dai Infinity Systems Corprate demerit system.  One demerit Mister!

Dex_Kivuli

• Dex 2.11b
  • Egger
« Reply #38 on: 30 Sep 2010, 18:26 »

I've just instiuted a Lai Dai Infinity Systems Corprate demerit system.  One demerit Mister!

But Vik has left LDIS. So if he was to be GH-SCing a corp, it would be a competing Caldari corp. Isn't it good Caldari corporate citizenship to try and bring down other Caldari corps?  8)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 30 Sep 2010, 20:11 »

Ssshhhh... that is special sekrit info...  ;)

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 01 Oct 2010, 13:51 »

ah..ha!

Vikarion

« Reply #41 on: 01 Oct 2010, 16:18 »

Speaking of which...is Ishuk-Raata hiring?

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 01 Oct 2010, 18:32 »

*points to other thread.. the one that says I-RED Hir...blablabla.. Liberals.. Bla.. Love Gallente.. Drugs are fun*

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #43 on: 02 Oct 2010, 04:39 »

I do believe that (like most people) you are confusing morally unacceptable with psychologically unhealthy behaviour.

If someone destroys your life, then having feelings of anger and revenge against that person is quite healthy.

The psychological problem factor here is making your self-worth and mental well being dependent on a game like EVE.

Typical example: most people consider all pederasts psychologically unhealthy and fit for a mental institution but when asked about ancient greek customs concerning such stuff don't immediately declare all the old greeks crazy.

Just keep in mind that when behaviour is 'bad' or 'wrong' it doesn't automatically mean the person is somewhat crazy. Beleiving that is usually just a (healthy) psychological defense mechanism from yourself (it is quite scary to believe normal people like your friends and yourself can do bad stuff).

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #44 on: 02 Oct 2010, 05:51 »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4