Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the Society for the Conservation of State Traditions is a fiercly nationalistic Caldari lobbyist organization that unleashed a scathing rebuke of PIE Inc. pilot Kostantin Mort in late YC106.

Author Topic: FICTION CONTEST! WITH PRIZES!  (Read 3739 times)

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
FICTION CONTEST! WITH PRIZES!
« on: 16 Sep 2010, 04:35 »

I am proud to announce the inaugural Ciarente Roth Prize for Collaborative Fiction.

Yes, collaborative! No, don't run away! Come back! Did I mention the prizes?

FIRST PRIZE: Faction Battleship Of Your Choice! Including Pirate Hulls!

SECOND PRIZE: Faction Cruiser Of Your Choice! Including Pirate Hulls!

THIRD PRIZE: Faction Frig Of Your Choice! Including Pirate Hulls!

All you have to do ... is write a story either about someone else's character or from the point-of-view of someone else's character. Your character shouldn't feature except possibly in a minor role. It's fun! See this example!  There are a few simple rules though:

1) Your story must be submitted through either the Eve-O boards, or here. YOU MUST POST IN ONE OF THOSE THREADS with a link to your story (NOT the whole story). Your story can be hosted here (my preference), EVE Fiction, or another forum or blog. If you pick the last two options, though, be aware, I might to decline to click if the link looks dodgy. Posting on Backstage is a better idea.

2) YOU MUST HAVE PERMISSION from the player or players whose character/s you're writing about. In fact, you might want to get them to read the story and tell you what they think and how you can improve your characterization. That's the collaborative part of the contest. I'm also going to demand proof of the agreement of the other player involved: if you submit your story via the Eve-o boards, they can post to that thread with an endorsement; if you submit it here, they need to mail me IG with that endorsement. ONLY ENDORSEMENTS FROM THE CHARACTER THEMSELVES WILL BE ACCEPTED (no, 'oh, I'm that guy's new alt, actually') AND ONLY THROUGH THE TWO METHODS DESCRIBED ABOVE (no hotmail emails!).  This of course makes it useful to pick a character currently subscribed ...

3) Stories must be new, please!

4) The contest will run to 23:59 October 31 2010 (GMT). To make it simple: the post announcing your entry must be date-stamped September or October

5) The author character submitting the story must have been in existence at the time of this post. No custom-made alts writing about your own character, please!

6) Stories must be under 3,000 words. There is no penalty for being shorter than that, of course. A really good entry of 600 words will beat a kinda good entry of 2,990

7) I will be determining the winners - my decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.

8.) Since I am judging the contest, stories cannot be about any of my many, many characters, for fairness. Otherwise, I might be unfairly swayed to favor a story showing how smoking hot my character is and how totally awesome and everything.

9) Prizes will be contracted in Jita. If you win, and the prize you pick is totally unavailable, I might have a chat to you about how we'll resolve that.

10) There is no rule ten. I just like round numbers.

So go! Write! Collaborate! Submit! And, some of you, win!

« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2010, 06:42 by Ciarente »
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Dame Death

• Very Bitter Vet
  • Wetgraver
Re: FICTION CONTEST! WITH PRIZES!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2010, 05:54 »

my many, many characters

You have more alts then me now? I only have many :(

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2010, 11:04 »

Oi.

You didn't clarify exactly what the policy on writing about one's own secondary characters was, and I can't tell whether it's one entry per person or more.

AUGH I CAME OUT INTO THE OPEN SHIT

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2010, 12:53 »

Finding the right person to write about is a tricky thing. Nice twist with this, Cia.

Also, obligatory OMG It's an Ashar!  :o
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Niki Bot

« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2010, 13:42 »

Are prizes transferable?

For instance, say I want to write a story about someone who plays the game.  I myself do not play the game currently.  I would like to enter, but have no way to collect said prize, and I really wanted to give the prize to the person I'm writing about anyway.  Could I contact that person, get their permission, have them contact you saying it's okay, write the story, and then have them collect the prize (assuming of course that I win one) and do with as they will?

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2010, 14:32 »

I'm still trying to figure out who I want to write about and what I want to write. But damn I need to write something, urge to write unbearable!

And ohshit its Ashar!
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ciarente

• The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2010, 17:28 »

Secondary characters: since the idea is to encourage collaboration, and walking-a-mile-in-someone-else's-spaceship etc, then writing about one of your own characters would be against the spirit of the contest. Of course, since I'm not going to demand that every entry is accompanied by a full API, I have limited resources to police said spirit of the contest - but that's the idea, write about somebody else's character.

Transferable prizes: As far as being subscribed goes, the only person who really really needs to be subscribed is the subject - so they can give approval through the official forums or IG mail, which is a requirement I've put on to prevent this being an excuse for score-settling godmodding all over the place. However, if you do submit a story without being subscribed yourself I'll probably take a closer look to satisfy myself that the author is not a forum alt/name for the subject.  

Entries per person: I don't want to limit it to one, but I also don't want one or two authors dominating the contest. No more than three per person sounds fair.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2010, 23:04 by Ciarente »
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Aracturus

• Probably up to no good.
  • Clonejack
  • Stop looking at my junk you pervert!
« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2010, 08:28 »

oi- Nikita. You got my permission to write about Marisse :p

Ciarente

• The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2010, 09:32 »

One week left! To win prizes, prizes, prizes!

Lyta Hawkins

• Clonejack
« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2010, 23:07 »

Prize or not I await the results with much anticipation.

Ciarente

• The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2010, 23:10 »

Indeed. I am reading and thinking ...

Lyta Hawkins

• Clonejack
« Reply #11 on: 05 Nov 2010, 09:46 »

Have you had the opportunity to read the entries yet?

normre

• Clonejack
« Reply #12 on: 05 Nov 2010, 09:57 »

I am curious about the results as well....:))

Ciarente

• The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 05 Nov 2010, 22:03 »

Winners! Winners!

FIRST PRIZE, being a Faction Battleship, was won by Aphrodite Acidalia for the story "Just Business".

SECOND PRIZE, being a Faction Cruiser, was won by Lyta Hawkins for "Recollections of The Reborn".

And THIRD PRIZE, being a Faction Frig, was won by Jasmine Sho for "Syn".

Congratulations to you all, and thanks to all entrants.

Please contact me through IG mail to let me know which hull you choose.