Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Suuolo" is Caldari for friend? For more, read here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Roleplaying a Pirate character.... IC/OOC observations  (Read 8841 times)

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
Re: Roleplaying a Pirate character.... IC/OOC observations
« Reply #45 on: 30 Oct 2010, 08:55 »

EDIT: I think this is what makes Veto attractive to RPer's who tried playing other factions. There comes a time when you want you RP to mean something when it comes to in space actions. Yes, you can do wars and make up RP reasons to fight, but lots of other RP doesn't do to well when it comes to providing lots of casual in space pew pew.
I think this is probably true of why VETO is attractive to some people. One of the best sides of EVE is that you can actually make RP out of what you do in the game anyway, and you do not necessarily have to "make up" RP reasons to fight (though of course you can).

But it does not need to be pirate RP for that, obviously. Antipiracy works for that too. FW works, if you are willing to work around the mechanics. "Helping the Republic" has worked for me for years. Holding sovereignty can be made perfectly IC - not that I have tried, but I cannot see why it could not. VETO just does it well, but I think that's more about the RPers involved than about the setting they have chosen.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #46 on: 30 Oct 2010, 09:07 »

EDIT: I think this is what makes Veto attractive to RPer's who tried playing other factions. There comes a time when you want you RP to mean something when it comes to in space actions. Yes, you can do wars and make up RP reasons to fight, but lots of other RP doesn't do to well when it comes to providing lots of casual in space pew pew.
I think this is probably true of why VETO is attractive to some people. One of the best sides of EVE is that you can actually make RP out of what you do in the game anyway, and you do not necessarily have to "make up" RP reasons to fight (though of course you can).

But it does not need to be pirate RP for that, obviously. Antipiracy works for that too. FW works, if you are willing to work around the mechanics. "Helping the Republic" has worked for me for years. Holding sovereignty can be made perfectly IC - not that I have tried, but I cannot see why it could not. VETO just does it well, but I think that's more about the RPers involved than about the setting they have chosen.

Mainly it's the snazzy uniforms we got

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #47 on: 31 Oct 2010, 12:00 »

Even if the FDU aren't RP, their existence is still IC. In fact during the Spring Liberations, loooadss of people who weren't RPing before decided to dabble into, including the two CEOs of the largest FDU corps, SOTF and QCATS.

Same for any capsuleer, actually it can be quite fun interpreting a non-RP capsuleer's role in an in-character fashion.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #48 on: 31 Oct 2010, 13:26 »

Same for any capsuleer, actually it can be quite fun interpreting a non-RP capsuleer's role in an in-character fashion.
Personally, I find it not just fun, but essential. If I had to imagine ICly that only RP capsuleers existed or mattered, I'd be bored out of my skull inside two weeks, probably. But one reason for why EVE is such a lovely game is that most of the time, it does not matter the least bit if the others are roleplaying or not: be it our allies in Minnie Militia or our respected (or less so) targets in pirate corps, whatever they do in space is real-time background story for us, and really matters for our IC goals.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]