Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The True Slaves are loyal, implant controlled slave troops of Sansha Kuvakei? Moar here.

Author Topic: Khanid Kingdom Political Blocs, government structure, etc.  (Read 6176 times)

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver

You know what we're totally missing? Hard information regarding the Kingdom. We've got some vague references to it being very much like the Empire, but nothing else. Luckily (Not really) for me I work as a temp labour monkey, so my mind is free to wander most of the day. I came up with the four logical political factions of the Kingdom while hauling skids around a warehouse, and will add more stuff as I have more time and can flesh out more ideas. Also, feedback. Give it to me.

Blocs

The Kingdom is not democratic, and it has no parties. However many of the Holders have used their wealth to collectively lobby for certain causes, and this is how the size of the groups is determined.

Separatist bloc
Wealth: 53%
The Separatists are by far the largest of the blocs. They advocate that the Kingdom maintain strong ties with the Caldari State and Amarr Empire without favouring one over the other. Primarily, though, their focus is on retaining Kingdom sovereignty: Most of the Separatist families grew in wealth and power when the Kingdom seceded from the Empire, and they fear that rejoining the Empire will end their ride.
Alternatively, some of the Separatist families believe that the Kingdom should remain sovereign for more noble reasons. True believers in the Faith, they feel that only an independent Kingdom can solidify the truce between the State and Amarr, which they feel will eventually result in the State's reclamation. Though this is not the true reason behind most of the family's support for continued independence, it is the one most commonly touted since it makes them look far better than simple greed.

Unionist bloc
Wealth: 22%
The Unionists are less than half the size of their rivals in the Separatists, due mostly to the fact that up until a century ago Unionism was considered high treason against the crown and punishable by death. Mostly True Amarr, they wish to see the days of their grandfathers return when Khanid was an Heir and they were once a part of what they see to be the true power under God. Short of that, they continually press for closer ties to the Empire, and they are in part responsible for the thawed relations between the two powers.

Reformist bloc
Wealth:11%

The Reformists see closeness to the Empire as undesirable, and instead want to come closer to their Caldari allies. While they are in no way advocates of joining the State, they do wish to completely replace the already loose caste system of the Kingdom with something closer to meritocracy. If God did not want someone to succeed, they point out, then why would they allow them to? They have often been accused of heresy, but without a central power like the Theology Council it's difficult to make such charges stick. At any rate, since they still publicly put their support behind a monarchy they have been allowed to continue.
The majority of the members in this Bloc are very minor Holders and immigrated Caldari businessmen who seek further power and have little regard for the rigidity of theocracy.

Revivalist bloc
Wealth: 8%

Though the Khanid took quickly the Faith, they did not start out at all as they are now. Originally led by chieftains, they were a tribal warrior race not entirely unlike the Matari. The Revivalists wish, to varying degrees, to better celebrate these ways of old now that they are no longer a part of the Empire. They have not, of course, ever publicly suggested that the Royal House be replaced by a group of tribal leaders, but they are still considered odd by the 'civilized' folk of the Kingdom. In fact, they would have long ago been routed were these families not also responsible for such a large segment of naval personnel: The old traditions demand adherence to the warrior code, so many of them find their way into the Royal Khanid Fleet or Royal Ground Corps

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver

Reserved.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me

I like this. I have a Khanid character as well, who hails from the Kingdom, so I'll try and work some of this into his RP.

Part of his backstory is that his family are Khanid abolitionists who lobby against slavery, which explains why my character spends most of his time in Syndicate and in Federation Space, rather than flying with the Vanguard or another Khanid organisation.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette

Unionist bloc
 Mostly True Amarr
Why? There are a lot of ethnic khanid in the Empire. Surely there would be ethnic khanid in the Kingdom that would feel a strong kinship with those members of their own bloodline that live outside the borders of the Kingdom? Most True Amarr in the Kingdom would be Holders under House Khanid (or commoners under those Holders), and therefore support their lord - if only out of feudal pressuring. In my mind, ethnic khanid commoners outnumber the True Amarr in the Kingdom, and the number of "Blood Unifiers" ("Join the Empire to mend the rift in the Khanid Race") would be far ahead of liberal amarr unionists.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette

Oh man - I am loving you so much right now  :yar:

I RP a Khanid Loyalist who runs a branch of the Khanid Mashtori (more info incoming soon™)
But, as per corp description the contracts only come from Khanid "Royalty".

So, with your descriptions in mind I like the idea of being a 'neutral' party for hire that is used to curb the influence, or indeed bolster the various factions for political and wealth.

I feel an RP arc brewing.  8)

------------------------------------

In regards to the content of the Khanid Kingdom itself.

I see them using a Holder system almost identically to the Amarr one, as per the description for the Kingdom.

What we do know is that they are still heavily dependant on slave labour, and thus take slaves from almost anywhere they can, and with the heavy Caldari influence I can see most people accepting this need and requirement of slaves as more or less a purely business matter for the continued survival of the Kingdoms prosperity, and as such it is quite possible that the percentage of slaves to those whom are free is of a much higher percentage in the Empire.

Thus, the people with power have a much larger effect.

Along with this there is the heavy Caldari influence, and the fact that the Megacorps do alot of business with the Khanid, so where do they get the positions and employee's to do this? From the powerful Holders in Khanid space, who like the lucrative deals with megacorps so they would fight over their contracts for research, testing etc.

This would be heavily woven into the politics, in the sense that the Seperatists and Reformists would be willing to accept and fight for these contracts, versus the Unionists who would look to disrupt these relationships and force their dependance back onto the Empire.

Just my thoughts and additions to it so far, I am liking this thread :D

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew

Are there sources for any of this?

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran

If there aren't who cares so long as those playing Khanid loyalist agree?

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette

The unionists faction is from the Khanid character creation IIRC, as for my own comments - they are my own conclusions based upon the PF provided (the Khanid Kingdom descriptions and chronicle)

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver

Why? There are a lot of ethnic khanid in the Empire. [1]Surely there would be ethnic khanid in the Kingdom that would feel a strong kinship with those members of their own bloodline that live outside the borders of the Kingdom? [1]Most True Amarr in the Kingdom would be Holders under House Khanid (or commoners under those Holders), and therefore support their lord - if only out of feudal pressuring.[3] In my mind, ethnic khanid commoners outnumber the True Amarr in the Kingdom, and the number of "Blood Unifiers" ("Join the Empire to mend the rift in the Khanid Race") would be far ahead of liberal amarr unionists.

[1] Surely.

[2] In fact just about all Holders of TA, Khanid, and Ni-Kunni blood would be under the Khanid Family since they originally had the entire region as their Holdings and now with them being the (Theoretically, of course) undisputed rulers of the Kingdom that power will be again reinforced. However, you must keep in mind that these are basically lobbyist organizations, and you must also remember that no one can really guess what K2 is thinking: Does he want a shot at the Imperial Throne or is he happy to lord over his domain? I think that simply being a servant of the family doesn't preclude you from trying to make the family do something different.

[3] Liberal? Doubtful. Unionists would be the most traditional members of the Kingdom - they'd mostly abhor TCMCs, for instance. I tend to also think that the Kingdom would put less emphasis on race than the Empire does. Partially because when the King was consolidating his power during the civil war he couldn't be especially picky with his friends, and partially because there's at least one non-TA member of the Khanid family (Linked above). I'm of the opinion this would make the TA Holders wish for a return to the days of old, when simply being of the 'right blood' was enough.

Oh man - I am loving you so much right now  :yar:

I RP a Khanid Loyalist who runs a branch of the Khanid Mashtori (more info incoming soon™)
But, as per corp description the contracts only come from Khanid "Royalty".

So, with your descriptions in mind I like the idea of being a 'neutral' party for hire that is used to curb the influence, or indeed bolster the various factions for political and wealth.

I feel an RP arc brewing.  8)

Awesome! Send me anything you think of.

Quote from: Mathra Hiede
In regards to the content of the Khanid Kingdom itself.

I see them using a Holder system almost identically to the Amarr one, as per the description for the Kingdom.

I like to imagine the Caldari influence giving them a more meritocratic philosophy: The Holders would still be on the top, but unlike in the Empire you can rise through the ranks and become a full Holder much more easily, as opposed to simply being a 'wealthy commoner'.

Quote from: Mathra
What we do know is that they are still heavily dependant on slave labour, and thus take slaves from almost anywhere they can, and with the heavy Caldari influence I can see most people accepting this need and requirement of slaves as more or less a purely business matter for the continued survival of the Kingdoms prosperity, and as such it is quite possible that the percentage of slaves to those whom are free is of a much higher percentage in the Empire.

Thus, the people with power have a much larger effect.

Entirely possible, but we'd need to see some actual population demographics before we can make any decisions: If the Kingdom has a fairly low density of citizens compared to the Empire then I might agree with you on that.

Quote from: Mathra
Along with this there is the heavy Caldari influence, and the fact that the Megacorps do alot of business with the Khanid, so where do they get the positions and employee's to do this? From the powerful Holders in Khanid space, who like the lucrative deals with megacorps so they would fight over their contracts for research, testing etc.

This would be heavily woven into the politics, in the sense that the Seperatists and Reformists would be willing to accept and fight for these contracts, versus the Unionists who would look to disrupt these relationships and force their dependance back onto the Empire.

Just my thoughts and additions to it so far, I am liking this thread :D

I'm loving your input. This all sounds decent.

For the vast majority, no, no hard evidence. This is all speculation and conjecture because CCP hasn't given us anything more solid to go on. If you've got any arguments against this backed with PF, please put in your say.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette

I wrote a small piece describing a bit of the Politics and style of Khanid stuff - and although its not PF, infact its my own creations I do hope it helps in creating a bit more flesh for the Khanid.

http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=1017.0

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=1247&tid=2

An old AURORA event I participated in back when the Khanid Bloodline was fresh and CCP was still lavishing the RPers with solid RP content on a regular basis.   It was a nice plot involving a Unionist plotting to steal an Archon from the Royal Khanid Navy (also back when Capital ships were much rarer).

In addition to Jakiin's major political blocs, I would probably add the following, % not terribly important:

-Religious Extremists-
Numerous references that the ethnic Khanid who are serious about religion take it to extreme levels, and that there are a multitude of small religious cults.  Nothing along Sani Sabik lines, but probably more fundamentalist oriented.

-Immigrants-
I imagine there's quite a heavy population of foreign-born subjectss of the Kingdom.  Amarrians moving to the Kingdom for whatever reason (perhaps a chance at moving up in social status, something quite a bit harder to do to in the Empire, at least within a single generation), Ethnic Khanid returning
home,' and especially Caldari who are making their lives in the Kingdom. Either as local representatives of the Megacorp or as general entrepeneurs looking to strike it big.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew

There's not an issue with what's been presented here specifically, but in general it's because they'll all end up with egg on their faces if CCP later decide to reveal something completely different, and also because it might not just affect Khanid loyalists.
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2010, 03:26 by Rodj Blake »

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew

http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=1247&tid=2

An old AURORA event I participated in back when the Khanid Bloodline was fresh and CCP was still lavishing the RPers with solid RP content on a regular basis.   It was a nice plot involving a Unionist plotting to steal an Archon from the Royal Khanid Navy (also back when Capital ships were much rarer).

In addition to Jakiin's major political blocs, I would probably add the following, % not terribly important:

-Religious Extremists-
Numerous references that the ethnic Khanid who are serious about religion take it to extreme levels, and that there are a multitude of small religious cults.  Nothing along Sani Sabik lines, but probably more fundamentalist oriented.

-Immigrants-
I imagine there's quite a heavy population of foreign-born subjectss of the Kingdom.  Amarrians moving to the Kingdom for whatever reason (perhaps a chance at moving up in social status, something quite a bit harder to do to in the Empire, at least within a single generation), Ethnic Khanid returning
home,' and especially Caldari who are making their lives in the Kingdom. Either as local representatives of the Megacorp or as general entrepeneurs looking to strike it big.

You could probably include Tetrimon supporters in either of those categories, as the Kingdom is their place of exile.