Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Daedalus X pulled off a Capital ship heist in a level two wormhole. read more here

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Odd DUST PF question ...  (Read 3762 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: Odd DUST PF question ...
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2013, 19:31 »

I think the lack of face thing is more a beta deal than PF one.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jan 2013, 20:57 »

Do we know how this relates to the old idea for podders that maintaining the original sex, race and general appearance was important to psychological balance?

There's much less concern about protecting DUSTies' sense of self, from what I can tell: they're much more like re-usable trained-but-otherwise-fairly-generic consciousnesses to go in disposable bodies, yes?

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jan 2013, 21:02 »

Capsuleers are photocopied into new clones; the old self dies and a new one is manufactured, if we were to ignore any spiritual connotations.

DUST troopers download from one body to another, so the 'same' consciousness is always persisting. It's possible that their 'original body' is kept and maintained, otherwise what is the point of them being mercenaries for the best money if they can't enjoy that money? Edit; or a premium body they enjoy human vanity in.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 19 Jan 2013, 21:12 »

I'm not sure that I get the distinction, Ghost: want to have another go at describing it?

Ghost Hunter

• The Mods
  • Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jan 2013, 21:22 »

I'm not sure that I get the distinction, Ghost: want to have another go at describing it?

My roleplay on the subject may be greatly clouding how I perceive it OOCly.

In essence, a Capsuleer mind is printed out onto a clone from previous data. When that clone dies, the new data (what that clone has experienced) is sent out and saved. That data gets printed out into a clone, repeat. You can argue that that particular iteration of that Capsuleer is a 'new person'. Each time you clone, your old soul goes on and a new one is put into the cloned body - kinda deal.

DUST Troopers do not clone like that. One consciousness, one soul, always exists. They get pulled from their body and put into a new one. They aren't printed out from neural scanner data.

Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jan 2013, 22:16 »

In essence, a Capsuleer mind is printed out onto a clone from previous data. When that clone dies, the new data (what that clone has experienced) is sent out and saved. That data gets printed out into a clone, repeat. [....]

DUST Troopers do not clone like that. One consciousness, one soul, always exists. They get pulled from their body and put into a new one. They aren't printed out from neural scanner data.

It feels like the main distinction here of that podder cloning is reactive (Clone A dies, so Clone B is activated with a streamed, quantum-intertwined or backup version of the consciousness) while DUSTie cloning is often proactive (we need Clone B in a particular location, so we'll pull the consciousness out of Clone A).

I suspect I'm out of practice with the concepts, though.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 20 Jan 2013, 02:53 »

Ghost.

Where does it say that the 'mind data' gets saved?

Doesn't the fluid router burner thingamabob guarantee that there is no saving involved?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Ghost Hunter

• The Mods
  • Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 20 Jan 2013, 13:38 »

Ghost.

Where does it say that the 'mind data' gets saved?

Doesn't the fluid router burner thingamabob guarantee that there is no saving involved?

I make use of the word save much like one would have a save in a video game - a back up point.

A Capsule gets breached, the Neuroscanner scan burns the Capsuleer's mind at the same time as a lethal injection is administered. The scan data is sent to the cloning bay, where it is traditionally immediately printed into a clone and the Capsuleer wakes up again.

I make specific mention of 'saving' because the consciousness is not the same between clones using this method. The neural scanner 'saves' a copy of the Capsuleer's brain, destroying it in the process, and then sends out the data. This data is printed out, and traditionally not kept in storage after the new clone activates. This new clone is just a saved copy of that particular Capsuleer, where the one that got neural burned is killed.

It's entirely possible my specific terminology is conveying the wrong meaning.
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #23 on: 22 Jan 2013, 13:49 »

Looks like the new trailer answers the question that, yes, DUSTies are just like everyone else beneath the helmet.

For that, I'm glad.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 24 Jan 2013, 10:32 »

It does seem to imply that, unless they're only there in spirit or those are actually capsuleers.

Pity. The result is more photogenic, but it's also MUCH more difficult to explain coherently.

Also, it renders obsolete some of the descing I've already done for Tarquin.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #25 on: 30 Jan 2013, 11:51 »

There is another possibility, I think ?

DUST people, they hang around waiting for a contract, then as soon as one's found, whoosh, they have their mind transferred to the combat zone, into a ready clone.

And then during battle it's all pewpewpew, and such, with dead bodies dissolving, and people zipping into new clones all the time. Then at the end of the battle, whoosh, DUST people transfer back to their waiting area.

So while a DUST person looks normal while they're off duty as it were, when on duty, they could be anyone under that helmet. Or indeed, any thing.

Combat clones not needing to be aesthetically pleasing also means another thing, possibly. When the clone is only needed in combat, then it doesn't need to be able to unfasten its armour or take its helmet off. Which means the armour suits don't need to have zippers or any other kind of fasteners.

Maybe.
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #26 on: 30 Jan 2013, 14:08 »

So while a DUST person looks normal while they're off duty as it were, when on duty, they could be anyone under that helmet. Or indeed, any thing.

Combat clones not needing to be aesthetically pleasing also means another thing, possibly. When the clone is only needed in combat, then it doesn't need to be able to unfasten its armour or take its helmet off. Which means the armour suits don't need to have zippers or any other kind of fasteners.

Maybe.

Oouu, grimdark. I like.

Especially the "any thing", without zippers. You don't want to know what's inside the armor.  :P

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #27 on: 04 Feb 2013, 01:44 »

That would mean that, during deployment, DUST'ers lose any semblance of 'humanity' they might have had, transferring from their 'human' main bodies into a glorified piece of biological, military hardware - a plain, faceless, hairless, featureless humanoid piece of flesh with a non-removable piece of armor and gear applied to it.

If this was true, that piece of meat inside the armor may as well have been a fully cybernetic machine run by a brain-in-a-jar inside the head or - for maximum protection - inside the torso, right next to the power-source, surrounded by reinforced armor plating and the electronic systems needed to operate it.

Ofc, a blank clone is likely considerably cheaper, and thus more realistic, if less durable in combat.

I think the 'featureless meat' scenario is less likely than the more 'standard' clone, with distinct faces and hair and so on being on the battlefield, however. If the clone was a cheap, featureless lump of mass-produced meat they would likely have not stopped there - why let it have weaknesses like being able to feel pain, having limited strength, endurance and stamina, and so on? Depending on how the game-play and lore works, DUST'ers could have had their 'battle' bodies modified to be super-human, along the lines of the 'a life in three acts' chronicle. Have not played DUST however so I don't know, do players get the feeling they are 'superior' soldiers or just your regular human trooper that can be replaced in new clone bodies all the time?

I got the impression, personally, that the only thing special with a DUST'er is their clone status, letting them learn from thousands of battles without really dying for good. In theory then, any Federal Marine, State Corporate Trooper, Kameira, Vaklear, Cyber Knight etc. are of a higher 'quality' but ofc, mortal. At least to start with, and also depending a little on gear and training.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 04 Feb 2013, 05:11 »

Again.

Kinaesthetic sense.

If your meatbag is too different from the one you are used to using then it will take time for you to adjust.

Which might explain lag, people getting stuck to walls and all FPS related problems.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #29 on: 04 Feb 2013, 06:36 »

Getting better. DUST has been praised for actually explaining the re-spawn mechanic, now they might explain lag too xD

Except that if some guys have lag and some don't, are they using different types of clones? Don't think it will work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3