EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > EVE Fiction + Fiction discussion

Caldari Industrial Aesthetic

<< < (3/3)

Elmund Egivand:
I always imagine that the Caldari are big on the Brutalism school of architecture. Except less concrete, more steel.

Nissui:
Not sure if it will still help at this point, but I did a little thinking on it. According to my reading of Source, at the time shortly after first contact with Gallente, there was tremendous social upheaval, and it was in this disorder that the CEP was formed. So depending on where your story was located, there may be a mega who dominates locally or regionally, and that could inform the aesthetic. Tech or energy companies might resemble a hydroelectric plant of the pulp scifi era, with great forms of exposed machinery framed within clean, practical slabs of concrete. Raw industry might look like Hamilton, Ontario or Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at the turn of the 20th century, with great smokestacks, billowing clouds of steam, elevated railways snaking around brick skyscrapers. Or it could be like the oil fields of central Alberta in winter, or 19th century Hokkaido for a mix of industry and agriculture. In many places, environmental concerns would be tertiary to efficiency and commerce.

The Raata placed value in blood, steel, and also the winds that play a role in their spirituality. I think flags or other devices  to catch the wind would probably be very common throughout their settlements, probably emblazoned with symbols important to the locals, at least until the pervasiveness of corp culture manifested through the CEP.

That's just my take on it. Check for writings of Korsavius and Avio Yaken who have both done recent worldbuilding with the Caldari, which might provide additional juice for the imagination.

Simon_Louvaki:
This is all good stuff! I'll definitely check out the writers you mentioned to see what's relevant. I'm still in the research phase so pretty much anything and everything is very useful.

Alex Hinkelmann:
Katrina Oniseki did several pieces on the old Raata Empire. They're worth a read as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version