Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the first ways to crack safe spots was to warp past the person and hope your bookmark landed you next to them?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Quick Questions involving Rogue Drones  (Read 4377 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Quick Questions involving Rogue Drones
« on: 07 Jan 2013, 05:35 »

I know there's some mission/complex dialogue for rogue drones where they say things like 'why do you hate me?' I know of at least one instance of drones acting in this manner mechanically from Scherezad. Does anyone have a copy of this or a similar instance in their logs and if so can I have them?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Lyn Farel

Re: Quick Questions involving Rogue Drones
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jan 2013, 07:19 »

The only thing I remember is in "Attack of the Drones l4", where drones say "brzzbrzzz more prey brrzzz"

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jan 2013, 10:44 »

The only thing I remember is in "Attack of the Drones l4", where drones say "brzzbrzzz more prey brrzzz"

This. Never heard anything like what your describing, so can't help you.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jan 2013, 12:38 »

From the general technology section of EVE here: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Technology_of_New_Eden

"Proper artificial intelligence, or AI, doesn't yet exist in EVE as such - at least not in sane and nonmurderous form - though many simulations come close."

So according to PF, if a true AI is cognizant and self-reflective enough to be asking humans why they hate it, its likely hoping they lower their guard enough so it can kill them.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 07 Jan 2013, 12:45 »

From the general technology section of EVE here: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Technology_of_New_Eden

"Proper artificial intelligence, or AI, doesn't yet exist in EVE as such - at least not in sane and nonmurderous form - though many simulations come close."

So according to PF, if a true AI is cognizant and self-reflective enough to be asking humans why they hate it, its likely hoping they lower their guard enough so it can kill them.
I can understand that there probably isn't an emergent AI capable of that level of metacognition, but there are definitely other types of AIs who are at least human-level in intelligence: uploaded people.

Todo Kirkinen is the main example, but I remember that there is also a mission chain involving a mad scientist who "defects" to the drones and is uploaded into... an infested dominix unless I'm mistaken.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 07 Jan 2013, 13:06 »

I can understand that there probably isn't an emergent AI capable of that level of metacognition, but there are definitely other types of AIs who are at least human-level in intelligence: uploaded people.

Todo Kirkinen is the main example, but I remember that there is also a mission chain involving a mad scientist who "defects" to the drones and is uploaded into... an infested dominix unless I'm mistaken.

Thats entirely true.  But thats why hes a "mad scientist".  Hes not sane.  Thus the first point stands.

RE: Todo Kirkinen

"Todo Kirkinen is the eccentric founder of Zainou BioTech and the first man to have his mind transferred into a machine. His headquarters are described as a combination of a mad scientist's lab and a jungle zoo."

"Eccentric" is what you call crazy people when theyre rich and powerful.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2013, 13:19 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jan 2013, 13:52 »

I assume that New Eden has very good expert systems (such as AIMEDs, the AI doctors). So, a Rogue Drone might well have repurposed some kind of a command interface for simple communication, but that is not yet proof of sentience. Even systems like VILAMO (in "that book") aren't probably having human-level capabilities in general, while their abilities in limited areas might well be superhuman.

So, a simple AI doctor might be able to diagnose a wealth of diseases (we already have that kind of medical expert systems, except that they still require a human to operate), but it probably does not have the capabilities to talk about the weather. Similarly, a rogue drone might be capable of asking the reason why it is being attacked, but even if it got an answer, is it capable of processing that? (Well, ingame not of course. In fiction? Perhaps, depending on how it is programmed and whether or not that programming has been overwritten.)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 07 Jan 2013, 14:38 »

Well, I know at least one instance of it happening in the PF. I'm not sure what that says or even if I can find proof of it since Schere doesn't have the logs. I'm looking though.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #8 on: 07 Jan 2013, 14:43 »

I know that they sometimes (or used to) spout out binary that would translate to stuff - that may be what you're thinking of? Unfortunately I don't have any logs. If you look at some rogue drone mission guides, they probably have it in there though?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #9 on: 07 Jan 2013, 14:57 »

That's the infamous "New Frontiers" L3 chain with neut and web towers and crazy spawns.

There's another chain called "The Anomaly" that involves some people vs. rogue drones stuff as well.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #10 on: 07 Jan 2013, 15:07 »

I don't believe that rogue drones are evolved to a human level of consciousness yet. Mostly animal instincts (through hive minds) and an emerging consciousness that seem to think like a little child / infant most of the time, depending on the hives.

Unless though, of course, some hidden rogue drone societies exist somewhere else that are a lot more evolved than the clunky, hungry things we see in missions and all around ingame...

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 07 Jan 2013, 15:38 »

That's the infamous "New Frontiers" L3 chain with neut and web towers and crazy spawns.

There's another chain called "The Anomaly" that involves some people vs. rogue drones stuff as well.

Lies. The Anomaly is Event Horizon as a mission. There just happen to be some drones.

@Lyn: That's an IC debate though. I'm not trying to argue whether they are or are not that evolved. My character would have that argument, but the devs haven't said so I don't know. This is purely a quest for PF.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 07 Jan 2013, 18:47 »

I don't believe that rogue drones are evolved to a human level of consciousness yet. Mostly animal instincts (through hive minds) and an emerging consciousness that seem to think like a little child / infant most of the time, depending on the hives.

Unless though, of course, some hidden rogue drone societies exist somewhere else that are a lot more evolved than the clunky, hungry things we see in missions and all around ingame...
Trying to compare Rogue Drones to a "human level" is a terrible, terrible mistake. Instead, try considering them as an alien race that evolved... somewhere else. "Incomprehensible" is an apt descriptor. Totally different value system, thinking process, priorities, etc. Learning speed that outstrips ours by such ridiculous magnitudes that a single lowly drone could in ten seconds complete what for a human would be a lifetime of study and experimentation.

If we're gauging the power of their intellect, they can open spatial anomalies with their "minds" while we glorious capsuleers can at best amount to piloting armed lunchboxes toward them with our comparably pitiful capsule-dependent gray matter.

Oh, and if you were a newly birthed sentient species fleeing in fear from your vengeful creator, would you hang out in solar systems where they live? Or perhaps... some place in between... in my imagination, the rogues we encounter are the most rudimentary scuttling calculators, sent out as vanguards and scouts by some distant, malign and absolutely bizarre intellect, meant to get shot and die to allow said intellect to figure out how our weapons work.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2013, 18:50 by hellgremlin »

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #13 on: 07 Jan 2013, 19:00 »

Trying to compare Rogue Drones to a "human level" is a terrible, terrible mistake. Instead, try considering them as an alien race that evolved... somewhere else. "Incomprehensible" is an apt descriptor. Totally different value system, thinking process, priorities, etc.

http://youtu.be/gaFZTAOb7IE

"the brain, is made out of meat"
"what.... does the thinking then?"
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #14 on: 07 Jan 2013, 19:04 »

some people barter for ship repairs with rogue drone hives. What is offered in barter isn't mentioned.
\o/
Pages: [1] 2 3