Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sansha Kuvakei was an industrial mogul before founding his Nation? Moar here.

Author Topic: [Idea] Consulting?  (Read 1085 times)

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
[Idea] Consulting?
« on: 16 Oct 2012, 16:53 »

Odd question, but could there be a need for an "RP Consultant" of sorts?

I'm finding now I've done it twice for corps, and possibly I could do it for other players and corps...given story ideas, worked out In-Game (and Out of Game) ways to pull them off, even done costs and such for them.

Think there'd be a bigger market for this in the RP community?

P.S. - Sorry if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move if needed.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: [Idea] Consulting?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2012, 18:05 »

I could actually see that being a marketable profession.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2012, 20:28 »

I've done things like occasional editing or helping people flesh out ideas or brainstorm for RP stuff before. I don't know that there is enough demand that it would support someone IG, but it might be viable for a bit of side ISK if you managed to get a good reputation.

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2012, 03:01 »

If nothing else, there is a level of demand for rp-savvy recruitment and marketing people.  Many people know how to roleplay a character, but fall short of convincingly portraying organisations.  Being able to seamlessly mesh meta and mechanical aspects of gameplay with an IC charter, to produce a competitive and feasible corporate recruitment and 'early days' action plan is a valuable skill - one mostly executed quietly and out of the public eye (as a great deal of the best rp is). 

Personally, having done varying forms of consultancy from null alliance market seeding to more recent militia-pr (rping in an environment where people are generally hostile to rp and still making the required friends to prosper), you're going to bee doing this for love, not money. 

It is a valuable skill, but it is hard to cost the social aspects before-the-fact.  Your best bet is to get 'on-mission' with some people who can provide a stable home and communal support (be it sharing their plexes/missions/markets) and ramp up your consultancy efforts in corp to earn their trust in your social and marketing capabilities.  Running a known alt once you have a basic reputation for sound decision making, can allow you some lateral movement throughout the rp/non-rp relations and recruitment divide.  TBH it can work for any game mechanic anchored consultancy. 

TL;DR - you'll likely have to do it for love not money, so make sure you like who you do it for, they like you and that you're aware of the mechanics, meta and downright crazy curve balls both rpers and non-rpers are going to throw in the cluster**** situations that may arise.

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2012, 06:01 »

I'll state for the record that my ISK account for my entire EVE career over multiple characters has rarely ever exceeded 10 mill.

I play this game for the love of what I do, not the love of money.  :cube: :lol:

That said, thank you very much for the advice!

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2012, 06:30 »

If nothing else, there is a level of demand for rp-savvy recruitment and marketing people.  Many people know how to roleplay a character, but fall short of convincingly portraying organisations.  Being able to seamlessly mesh meta and mechanical aspects of gameplay with an IC charter, to produce a competitive and feasible corporate recruitment and 'early days' action plan is a valuable skill - one mostly executed quietly and out of the public eye (as a great deal of the best rp is). 

Personally, having done varying forms of consultancy from null alliance market seeding to more recent militia-pr (rping in an environment where people are generally hostile to rp and still making the required friends to prosper), you're going to bee doing this for love, not money. 

It is a valuable skill, but it is hard to cost the social aspects before-the-fact.  Your best bet is to get 'on-mission' with some people who can provide a stable home and communal support (be it sharing their plexes/missions/markets) and ramp up your consultancy efforts in corp to earn their trust in your social and marketing capabilities.  Running a known alt once you have a basic reputation for sound decision making, can allow you some lateral movement throughout the rp/non-rp relations and recruitment divide.  TBH it can work for any game mechanic anchored consultancy. 

TL;DR - you'll likely have to do it for love not money, so make sure you like who you do it for, they like you and that you're aware of the mechanics, meta and downright crazy curve balls both rpers and non-rpers are going to throw in the cluster**** situations that may arise.

this +1

Jace Carithias

« Reply #6 on: 06 Dec 2012, 08:13 »

Another possibility would be conducting RP training sessions for corps. I've known people who have successfully filled that role before. That being said, I agree with those above that the income possibilities for any of these ideas is going to be rather slim - but it sounds like that isn't your goal, which makes it easier.