Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Ishukone corporation is one of the major players in the 'liberal' faction and was the first non-Jovian organization to receive capsule technology from the Jovians?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Capsuleer Tropes: Things that you love, things that you don't  (Read 12279 times)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

+ More "regular" characters - you know, the everyman joe.

+ More commoners for Amarr; I'm increasingly hearing that it's difficult to do anything as a commoner character lately because you get walked over by all the (sometimes only-days-old) Holder characters pulling rank on you. Admittedly I'm not exactly helping this with Esna being a Holder and all, but it's still something I'd like to see worked on.

+ More characters who don't want to start an argument or fight at every moment. Bonus points for educated, modern Amarrians and Minmatar of both tribalist and Republic orientation.

+ Worldbuilding: Because we're seriously not in danger of running out of planets to build on any time soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

- "Saving the world science": As someone put it recently, failing is as important as succeeding in science. Furthermore, when you do succeed, it is often months before your results are complete enough to be announced and years before anything actually comes of it.

- Incessant grimdark and forced conflict. Dear good god, the incessant grimdark. Ana said it well, but I'll restate: It's highly unfun when all your worldbuilding is torn apart for the sake of conflict.

- The classic frustrating tropes - the abused slave, the abused ex-slave, the most-depressing-backstory-ever character...

I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

+ More commoners for Amarr; I'm increasingly hearing that it's difficult to do anything as a commoner character lately because you get walked over by all the (sometimes only-days-old) Holder characters pulling rank on you. Admittedly I'm not exactly helping this with Esna being a Holder and all, but it's still something I'd like to see worked on.

"I do not serve your House, Lord [newbie]."

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain

Could pull the -yawn- "I'm an empyrean last I checked so undock and make me", but... it is generally considered impolite.

Did make me lol though... I need to stop reading forums on the kindle before sleeping.

I really haven't been able to think in depth on this topic as to what I like and dislike yet, and least nothing new to add.  It was drilled into my head by people to start from the bottom.. and i get stepped on alot down here ;) .

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran

+ Amarr commoners
+ The human(e) capsuleer
+ The intelligent capsuleer

- Incessant grimdark and forced conflict.
- Matari are SW's rebels
- Amarr are SW's empire

Playing an Amarr commoner I have to say I never had the problem of Holder's pulling rank on me - or even trying to do so. Oftentimes Nico rather has the problem of explaining that she is not a noble at all. Even after making that blatantly clear no one ever demanded anything of Nico because they were a Holder.

Lyn Farel

+ More "regular" characters - you know, the everyman joe.

Yeah...

You can't even imagine how starting an amarrian noble character is the choice I regret the most... Somehow, it makes for interesting case scenarios where I can perfectly pull my noble rank on PIE lapdogs that usually come japing at my character, and it still leaves them options since it's an ammatar title not official to Empire law, but still under the protection of Ardishapur.

But that's the only benefit I see to it honestly. 

+ Worldbuilding: Because we're seriously not in danger of running out of planets to build on any time soon.

That gives me an idea...
[/quote]

It depends of the context.

If he asks you to do something for him, then no, you do not serve him.

If he asks you for respect and you are a commoner, you are obliged to do so. It can be very useful when a commoner Amarrian comes aggressively into your character imo.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

If he asks you for respect and you are a commoner, you are obliged to do so. It can be very useful when a commoner Amarrian comes aggressively into your character imo.

Do the various houses respect each other? It seems to me that a Sarum loyalists would not think very highly of a Tash-Murkon Holder. Certainly there's room for conflict there?

Vincent Pryce

+ Happy family history, preferably with living relatives. Extra ++ For Minmatar characters of this type.
+ Humility
+ Pirate loyalists that embrace the cuthroat lifestyle or embrace the monster PF depicts them as without going overboard.

- 1 day old Captain Jack Steelpower Ultra-Killdozer- The Universal Masterchief McBadass. King of air, land, sea and space with a machinegun arms and  a cyborg endoskeleton. "I've seen some shit in my super tactical SECRET BLACK OPS CAREER THAT'S LASTED OVER 150 YEARS"
- Pirate that play the "I am just misunderstood humanitarian scoundrel fighting the good fight against evil entity X"

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Do the various houses respect each other? It seems to me that a Sarum loyalists would not think very highly of a Tash-Murkon Holder. Certainly there's room for conflict there?

Tash-Murkon Udorian scum.

I have always had the opinion that more inter-house rivalry is exactly what the Empire needs.

More poisonings, more duels, more crushing of rivals and settling of centuries-long simmering rivalries. 

Lyn Farel

Sure, you can perfectly hate a Holder of another house. You can even hate a holder of your own house, even if he is not your lord.

At least, speaking against a holder above you in the social ladder while being yourself a Holder might be ok, though maybe not the wisest thing to do.

But speaking against (especially insulting/aggressing) a holder of any house with a commoner status, or worse, sure equals to a high insult, and if you are not a capsuleer, I would wager that the Holder is maybe in his right to outright kill you if you serve him, and if not, asking for compensation from your own lord, which can probably mean death/slavery/whatever, unless you are really valuable...

I too think there is room for conflict, being going openly against someone of higher status is of course possible, but probably not the wisest thing to do in that case. I am pretty sure that in the Amarr Empire, one does not just cross the divine social order like that.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain

Is it me or did the wording in this article chage recently?  https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Demographics_of_the_Amarr_Empire

That or there's a different almost identical one that also used to contain links to all the different cronicles, etc.. *bashes head against Wiki*
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2013, 07:47 by Arista Shahni »

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!

I haven't had this problem with Hadi, but he's a Jersey sort of Amarr commoner: He supports the Empress, but that doesn't mean that he's every Holder's tool. I really need to trot him out more. Damn you, RL...

As far as martial arts capsuleers go, I totally agree with what most folks here are saying. There are far too many invincible warrior princes(ses). Hadi used to be an MP in the Imperial Navy, with all the attendant personal combat experience that would go along with that. That doesn't mean that he'd come out on top against someone who really did train their whole life. Shin, on the other hand, is just fragile. The last time she was in a physical fight she was nearly killed. To compound this, her artificial immune system has oddball side effects, rendering her deathly allergic to a sizable minority of the human race (if you've ever wondered why she always wears gloves, this is why). To her, physical combat is something you pay experts to handle for you.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile

- The psycho capsuleer.
Yes, I know why CCP promote it. The trope fits well with the crazed behaviour of most of the players. But it seems wrong that we can screw with the world and get next to no penalty for doing so.

Also I am irked by people that mess with things just for the sake of doing so, the Joker option. People that do this in reality tend to get squished. Even if they are rich & powerful eventually they will annoy enough of their peers to get taken down. EVE seems to have this sort of behaviour as a norm.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette

On the more commoners front: I would also like to see more low ranked nobles that are secure in their status. It seems to me that the vast majority of true Amarr pod pilots would probably fall into this category. Kindof think we need more people who own the Amarrian equivalent of a single manor, but who also have long enough lineages that they aren't worried about losing their status.

Lyn Farel

I kindof played that kind of minor nobility at first but I decided to half jeopardize it for RP's sake and coherence... Though the nobility remains, at least, even without holdings.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?

On the more commoners front: I would also like to see more low ranked nobles that are secure in their status. It seems to me that the vast majority of true Amarr pod pilots would probably fall into this category. Kindof think we need more people who own the Amarrian equivalent of a single manor, but who also have long enough lineages that they aren't worried about losing their status.

This was essentially the Tyrathlion status until Reppy took over and started injecting capsuleer funds in to expand her planetside assets, and hence political weight.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9