Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That KillJoy Tseng's first season racing rifter later sold for 75 million ISK?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: "Soft" Clones.  (Read 4540 times)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: "Soft" Clones.
« Reply #30 on: 26 Mar 2014, 09:38 »

Basically, Bay, the tech you're asking about/for doesn't really exist. DUST mercs are a special case where the implant that handles it is installed directly onto the brainstem - it's like another lobe of the brain.

And even if the empires had that sort of tech, it would be something kept so secret we wouldn't know about it anyway - let alone have access to it. Especially anyone who might pass capsuleer training - because as soon as ONE capsuleer has it, it's only a matter of time before we ALL have it. And that would be baaaad.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #31 on: 26 Mar 2014, 14:38 »

I came to the - stretched, perhaps - conclusion that maybe, implants can be safely removed when the individual is not "here" anymore. Otherwise, they break. I don't have any better explanation.

That's how I view it. It's easier to safely remove the implants when you don't have to worry about destroying the brain in the process.

Well that makes sense. Except for one minor detail.

Your medical clone contract is priced by the skill points the clone needs to be able to hold. Therefore it would seem that the more complex the brain substitute being used the more expensive the clone. If, every time we jump clone they destroy the brain, why aren't we paying a good chunk of med clone renewal costs with each jump? Especially if they have to go to the effort of removing and then reinstating cybernetics.

It makes no sense at all that the brain is destroyed on jumping out of the body.

It is possible that jump cloning doesn't kill the first body, but puts it in a frozen state. It may be safer to assume that since otherwise we have to deal with implant removal issues as well as clone costs everytime we jump clone.

Maybe the hardscan doesn't necessarily kill. Iirc it was stated that the capsule killed the capsuleer to make sure he/she dies. Not the neural hardscan per se.

What does Source says about that ?

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #32 on: 26 Mar 2014, 15:44 »

I came to the - stretched, perhaps - conclusion that maybe, implants can be safely removed when the individual is not "here" anymore. Otherwise, they break. I don't have any better explanation.

That's how I view it. It's easier to safely remove the implants when you don't have to worry about destroying the brain in the process.

Well that makes sense. Except for one minor detail.

Your medical clone contract is priced by the skill points the clone needs to be able to hold. Therefore it would seem that the more complex the brain substitute being used the more expensive the clone. If, every time we jump clone they destroy the brain, why aren't we paying a good chunk of med clone renewal costs with each jump? Especially if they have to go to the effort of removing and then reinstating cybernetics.

It makes no sense at all that the brain is destroyed on jumping out of the body.

It is possible that jump cloning doesn't kill the first body, but puts it in a frozen state. It may be safer to assume that since otherwise we have to deal with implant removal issues as well as clone costs everytime we jump clone.

Maybe the hardscan doesn't necessarily kill. Iirc it was stated that the capsule killed the capsuleer to make sure he/she dies. Not the neural hardscan per se.

What does Source says about that ?

Source says very little about jump cloning, save that capsuleers can and do jump clone into bodies with different races and genders than they actually are. So Source confirms the 'jump clone to alt' lore that's come about in True Stories, and also canon-validates Saede's male clone.

As far as the burn scan... no, the burn scan itself doesn't strictly kill you, but it lobotomizes the original so badly that they become a vegetable. Fact is, when you burn scan, the original body is as good as done. It's either dead, or it's a vegetable. The capsule just ensures the former.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2014, 15:50 by Samira Kernher »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #33 on: 27 Mar 2014, 13:51 »

Maybe... I don't remember well what was exactly described in former PF. I just remember pretty much clearly that the lethal injection was done specifically to kill the clone to avoid getting two possible versions / a fork of the same person.

Also, even if it was not strictly PF, Torfifrans already hinted several times when they were still developing Incarna that they had plan to allow changing bloodlines between various jumpclones.
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2014, 13:53 by Lyn Farel »
Pages: 1 2 [3]