Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When EVE first launched, the highest and most dangerous NPC imaginable was a 50k Cruiser?

Author Topic: Voting = Bad (or something - split from RIP Tony Benn)  (Read 1025 times)

Lyn Farel

I didn't know him but RIP.

EDIT : on another less serious note though, this made me think why I have difficulties to agree with the guy.

« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2014, 09:33 by Lyn Farel »

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
Re: Voting = Bad (or something - split from RIP Tony Benn)
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2014, 13:31 »

Hmm, that's a lot of words to say "Democracy: 2 wolves and one sheep vote what's for dinner."
-OOChé

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2014, 16:05 »

[admin]Don't want comic strip thing to derail In Pace Requiescat thread.[/admin]
So, what the spider-tattoo-on-head guy is saying is that voting is bad.  So I should not vote.  Meanwhile, they're still gonna vote to fuck me with switchblades.  What was it that not voting gets me again?

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2014, 18:20 »

Nah, Spider (that is his actual name) is telling you that DEMOCRACY is bad because its a bunch of crazy people deciding whether or not to fuck you with switchblades.

IE that the best option is probably to cut and run.  Or, knowing Spider Jerusalem, to fuck them with switchblades FIRST.

(Its a good comic)
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2014, 03:50 »

Don't want comic strip thing to derail In Pace Requiescat thread.
So, what the spider-tattoo-on-head guy is saying is that voting is bad.  So I should not vote.  Meanwhile, they're still gonna vote to fuck me with switchblades.  What was it that not voting gets me again?

That's putting words in his mouth.

Anyway, as precised above, it was half serious, at best. That soliloquy is a huge hyperbole. If it offended anyone I apologize.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2014, 03:52 by Lyn Farel »

Shiori

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2014, 04:31 »

"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner."

And yes, Transmetropolitan is fantastic, in both senses of the word. A completely over-the-top and cynical vision of the future, as seen through Hunter S. Thompson's lenses, and yet somehow a lot more believable than most serious attempts at futurology.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2014, 05:14 »

A bit of context.

Spider Jerusalem is forced to return to The City, a huge conurbation on the east coast of the US, to write the two books he still owes his editor on the deal he signed years ago. To survive (as he has spent all the advance money) he gets a gig writing a column for a newspaper called The Word where a friend is working as the city desk editor. He calls it "I Hate it Here". The rant comes when he is in the middle of covering the upcoming elections. He hates this because all the politicians available are scum, and the last time he did it it made him famous and the focus of lots of attention from people more crazy than he is. Hence the rant.

Possibly one of the best comic series I have ever seen. The only ones that compete in my estimation would be the Sandman and it's spin-offs, and the Luther Arkwright stories from Brian Talbot. Also, a lot of Transmetropolitan could be seamlessly dropped into the Federation if you filed off the explicit reference to Earth.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2014, 23:38 »

Hmm, that's a lot of words to say "Democracy: 2 wolves and one sheep vote what's for dinner."

Whereas Nietzsche would complain because he saw morality as two sheep and a wolf deciding whether eating meat was moral...
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Shiori

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2014, 07:41 »

Do note that Nietzsche considered us to be the sheep.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2014, 08:32 »

Do note that Nietzsche considered us to be the sheep.

But not necessarily permanently so.