Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders have grandmothers? (The Burning Life)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: EVE  (Read 5005 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: EVE
« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr 2013, 19:38 »

I'm guessing we are going to see a lot of greenscreen. Should at least be interesting, whatever the production quality.

Animation is, AFAIK, pretty expensive, isn't it? At least to get up and running? At least, more expensive than live action where you aren't paying for lots of special effects beyond some greenscreening?

Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome  used a lot of green screen work iirc.

Behind the scenes

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #16 on: 27 Apr 2013, 22:39 »

I've been wanting this since I entered EVE, though I have to admit I would prefer a normal "series" with a plot and such, than one of sepparate chapters each with a true story. Still, I'm game, the idea still sounds great.

As for animation and such, well, if the idea is to stick to EVE, which means focusing on pod pilots and space and such, it may be interesting to note all live actors would do is sleep in their pods, the rest being computerized ships. xD Now, seriously, I believe there's a lot of potential in the idea, specially if they open their hands a bit and introduce people in stations and such; and, actually, there is an interesting niche for both dark-series (as has been mentioned) and space-ship sci-fi (of which there are none currently airing, at least here in Spain).

I think the WoD setting is even better for that, but one IP at a time, I guess.

There was one Vampire: The Masquerade series. I believe it went on for about 10 chapters or so. And no, you don't want to look for it, really, it's embarrasing.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #17 on: 28 Apr 2013, 03:32 »

It was called 'Kindred: The Embraced.'
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 28 Apr 2013, 05:57 »

Animation is, AFAIK, pretty expensive, isn't it? At least to get up and running? At least, more expensive than live action where you aren't paying for lots of special effects beyond some greenscreening?

A lot cheeper usually. What costs a lot is the stage setting and the scenery when you don't go for CGI and the likes. You basically just need a few mocap actors and a greenscreen. You spend more on the CGI artists after, but the shooting costs nothing and you don't have to travel with your whole team everywhere around the world.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #19 on: 28 Apr 2013, 08:41 »

It was called 'Kindred: The Embraced.'

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo. Now I have to go back into therapy to forget it..... xD

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 28 Apr 2013, 09:05 »

Ah, yes.

"Kindred: the Disgraced," we college LARPers called it.

One thing that cheers me about the idea of a TV show is that, unless it's written by Tony G, they'll need to get some canonical issues, like soft clones, hammered out good and proper, and then probably build further. Consider food: What are the characteristics of Minmatar cuisine? How do you properly serve hanging long-limb? Are the Civire the meat-and-potatoes sorts that they often come off as, or do they cook with more veggies than you might expect?

Just how medieval is Amarrian cuisine anyway? Are we in fact talking roast peacock and suckling pig? Is the spiced wine there to complement other strong and complex flavors, or to make up for the lack of them?

Also, I had one idea for one possible, if crazed, premise: a sort of DS9 / Babylon 5 storyline set around the lives and doings of the (luckless) command staff at Jita 4-4. Can you even imagine what those people go through? Alternatively, could do the same with someplace out in lowsec or null. It seems like facility staff of some sort would be likely subjects-- you don't need an artificially static cast of capsuleers, and the plots can kind of wander through.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #21 on: 28 Apr 2013, 09:31 »

If it's going to revolve around a particular locale, I would suggest Yulai, myself. It would allow for somewhat balanced showcasing of all four Empires through their representatives, storylines of grand interstellar politicking as well as a closer look at how CONCORD's power over capsuleers is maintained...or slowly slipping away.

Depends on the story you want to tell though, of course.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 28 Apr 2013, 09:38 »

Given that it's being pitched as something like "True Stories that happened 20,000 years in the future", and people are being told to get their EVE True Stories onto the website soon for consideration, I assumed that the current idea was to fictionalise things like the GHSC heists and the fall of BOB.

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #23 on: 28 Apr 2013, 09:46 »

Also, I had one idea for one possible, if crazed, premise: a sort of DS9 / Babylon 5 storyline set around the lives and doings of the (luckless) command staff at Jita 4-4. Can you even imagine what those people go through?
I can imagine what the command deck would look like -- ringed with rotting pig heads on stakes, and a line of salt. Large letters around the entrance hatch, "lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate,"  written in dried blood.

Inside, crazed and mutated knife-wielding killers stalk the halls, muttering obscenities to themselves and whispering phrases like "Navy Hookbill, one million, sponsored by Northwind Trading.." to their victims as they gut them.

What? They have a lot of local spam to deal with.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2013, 09:49 by Iwan Terpalen »

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #24 on: 28 Apr 2013, 10:07 »

Also, I had one idea for one possible, if crazed, premise: a sort of DS9 / Babylon 5 storyline set around the lives and doings of the (luckless) command staff at Jita 4-4. Can you even imagine what those people go through?
I can imagine what the command deck would look like -- ringed with rotting pig heads on stakes, and a line of salt. Large letters around the entrance hatch, "lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate,"  written in dried blood.

Inside, crazed and mutated knife-wielding killers stalk the halls, muttering obscenities to themselves and whispering phrases like "Navy Hookbill, one million, sponsored by Northwind Trading.." to their victims as they gut them.

:eek:

Make it so.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 28 Apr 2013, 10:08 »

That's probably an accurate depiction of their internal lives, at least. The thing about DS9 and B5 was that both of them were ultimately optimistic, heroic epics that did not have their leading characters either sinking slowly or charging headlong into a morass of madness and corruption.

Imagine B5 meets "Breaking Bad." Possibilities, no?

Given that it's being pitched as something like "True Stories that happened 20,000 years in the future", and people are being told to get their EVE True Stories onto the website soon for consideration, I assumed that the current idea was to fictionalise things like the GHSC heists and the fall of BOB.

I'm sure that this is a major part of it, but if they're drawing inspiration from "The Walking Dead," "Breaking Bad," and "Game of Thrones," rather than "COPS," they're going to be needing a central cast. Station personnel seem like a natural match-- pretty much anything in New Eden can happen at least partially at a sufficiently busy port of call, and Jita 4-4 really has become New Eden's B5 (lack of neutrality notwithstanding).

Alternatively, they could take a more "Game of Thrones" angle and set events at a handful of different areas across New Eden, so the heist job that starts at Jita makes its way out into some (artificially restricted) null and back again. The main reason I'd suggest Jita as a hub is that it's the  only place that wouldn't be suffering from "Enterprise syndrome"-- "Why, please, God, WHY does EVERYTHING HAPPEN TO US?!"

Sooner or later, just about everything pays a visit to Jita.

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr 2013, 10:13 »

I have never been to Jita, not even on an alt. No lie.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 28 Apr 2013, 10:17 »

I have never been to Jita, not even on an alt. No lie.

Yes, I know there are a few of you out there who haven't. Some make it a point of principle. Hence the "just about."

However, for one-stop capsuleer shopping it really can't be beat.

Also, the Caldari make fantastic straight men (and women).  :D They look very "traditional conservative military" until you examine how their society is actually run, meaning that Caldari command staff would benefit from instantly-recognizable Sci Fi dynamics ... that become more and more complicated on closer examination.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #28 on: 28 Apr 2013, 11:07 »

Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Adreena Madeveda

• What's your favourite thing about space ?
  • Egger
  • Mine is space.
    • A Blog !
« Reply #29 on: 28 Apr 2013, 11:32 »

Glorious.
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Shakespeare, Macbecth
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4