Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Elsebeth, of clan Rhiannon, was born on Matar in the heartlands of Mikramurka continent in the year 81? Read her official biography here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Eve: Odyssey - June 4th  (Read 4162 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Eve: Odyssey - June 4th
« on: 23 Mar 2013, 17:20 »

http://www.eveonline.com/odyssey/

Name for the next expansion.

THE WAR MACHINES
Forged by the lessons learned from countless combat pilots, the four factions will issue forth with the latest tools of war and re-designs of old favorites - ships as awe-inspiring as they are deadly.

DISCOVERY SCANNER
Using this new system, more pilots will reveal the hidden secrets of the EVE Universe. Beautiful new visuals, customizable controls and new functionality have been added to encourage the adventurer in everyone. There is now more among the stars, enticing even the most experienced veterans to explore.

THE STORYLINE CONTINUED
The shared EVE Universe storyline continues to evolve following the Battle for Caldari Prime, with participatory events spawning unique player stories in two games at once.

A NEW "SPACESCAPE"
A rebalance of major areas of space from highsec to nullsec include changes in exploration sites, industrial resources, some types of NPC loot and more…
Other features and information will be announced in the coming weeks here, in devblogs and in our news and social media channels

THE LITTLE THINGS
Continued development towards raising accessibility without removing functionality will bring dozens of changes to player-owned starbases, game UI and beyond.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: Eve: Odyssey - June 4th
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2013, 17:45 »

excitement \o)
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2013, 18:59 »

Some pictures from PAX: http://imgur.com/a/c3oYb#0

Definite references to moon mining and *drool* new scanning interface

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2013, 19:31 »

Exploration? \o/
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2013, 19:37 »

A NEW "SPACESCAPE"
A rebalance of major areas of space from highsec to nullsec include changes in exploration sites, industrial resources, some types of NPC loot and more…
Other features and information will be announced in the coming weeks here, in devblogs and in our news and social media channels

THE LITTLE THINGS
Continued development towards raising accessibility without removing functionality will bring dozens of changes to player-owned starbases, game UI and beyond.[/size]

Frankly I am terrified at the moment.

Edit: Code
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2013, 19:45 by orange »

Vikarion

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2013, 19:45 »

<Fake derail> Odyssey? That's a Gallente-themed name. Obviously more CCP bias! :evil: </fake derail>

I'm a little worried about the "changes to industrial resources". There have been a lot of calls for restricting industry to null, and null already has plenty of ISK sources. OTOH, I could see the argument for moving some t2 manufacturing to low-sec. But there are no details here, so who knows?

It's definitely nice to see them iterating on POS's (finally!). I can't begin to describe my annoyances with POS's.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2013, 19:53 »

I'm excited about the fix to the scanner. That thing is fiddly as hell.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2013, 02:33 »

Any video of that presentation ?

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2013, 02:36 »

Please shatter the moon mining mechanic, please shatter the moon mining mechanic...
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Snowflake

• Clonejack

Grideris

• Wetgraver
  • Keeper of the bowl of Infinite Popcorn
« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2013, 05:00 »

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2013, 05:33 »

Looking forward to it!

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2013, 10:40 »

Please shatter the moon mining mechanic, please shatter the moon mining mechanic...

This.

As excited as I am for this expansion (and curious about their changes to industry etc.) I can't express how much I want to be able to play around in the null-sec I recall from 2005-6-7 and not this... this joke it has become. I don't know if it's possible to add dynamics to null again but if so, I'd love to see it.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2013, 12:05 »

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/23/4140288/eve-online-odyssey-pax-east

Eve Online, CCP Games' nearly 10-year-old massively multiplayer online role-playing game, will receive its 19th expansion, Odyssey, on June 4, the developer announced today at PAX East.

The update will include a revamped scanning mechanic, user interface tweaks and hidden locations among the ever-expanding game's 7,929 solar systems.

Polygon spoke to Jon Lander, executive producer of Eve Online, at PAX East about the expansion and how CCP aims to entice new and old players alike with its components.

Lander framed Odyssey as a continuance of the game's evolution, which is tied to its roots.

"Really, 2012 was about getting the foundations in place for a second decade, and Odyssey will be the the first step in that. It's taking is back to our roots, taking us back to when people first came into the game in 2003 and there's this huge expanse of the unknown," he said. "People never really knew what was out there. Were things dangerous? Were they scary? What would they get? What would they lose? Is there going to be some pirate around the corner who's going to get me?

"OVER THE YEARS, IT'S EITHER BECOME HARDER TO GET INTO IT, OR PEOPLE HAVE DISCOVERED IT ALL AND IT'S NO LONGER EXCITING —HERE'S NO LONGER A SENSE OF THE UNKNOWN."

"Over the years, it's either become harder to get into it, or people have discovered it all and it's no longer exciting —there's no longer a sense of the unknown."

CCP's user interface tweaks are perhaps the best example of the developer's attempt to retain the old, foster the new and satisfy both crowds. The work began about 18 months ago, when CCP rewrote a new backend engine for the UI.

"The UI has been likened to spreadsheets in space, or whatever," he said, "and it's looking a bit dated.

"One of the unique and interesting challenges of having a 10-year-old game is, we've seen in the past when we just removed something that a lot of our players are very used to and replace it with something else, that's a very dangerous way to go. You've got to be very, very sure of yourself. We had a good examples last year where we got that balance wrong.

"So, listening to the feedback from our players — listening to what they're telling us — we've started reintroducing these concepts now, and introducing these new graphical elements using this new rendering path in addition to what we already have."

Eve Online will continue this graphical shift over the next several releases, he said. Those who like "spreadsheets in space" will have what they want. And the developer hopes that the graphical changes will welcome new players in.

Odyssey will also redistribute, rebalance and add new ships. The idea, Lander said, is to take something old and make it new again.

"When you think about all of the great science fiction ... it's all about 'What is it?' What's going on? I don't know what's going on, and I love that feeling of discovery.'

"Odyssey is really about enabling our players to do that."

Grideris

• Wetgraver
  • Keeper of the bowl of Infinite Popcorn
« Reply #14 on: 25 Mar 2013, 05:58 »

This.

As excited as I am for this expansion (and curious about their changes to industry etc.) I can't express how much I want to be able to play around in the null-sec I recall from 2005-6-7 and not this... this joke it has become. I don't know if it's possible to add dynamics to null again but if so, I'd love to see it.

Why all of a sudden do I want to shatter some moons to mine their guts?  :eek:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4