Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that station interiors have a day/night cycle mimicking planets? (p. 88)

Author Topic: Lord Wamphyri - A new beginning?  (Read 2120 times)

Lord Wamphyri

• Exhibitionist
  • Clonejack
Lord Wamphyri - A new beginning?
« on: 06 Dec 2011, 18:36 »

I've been having a long, hard think about my character in EVE, as I'm rapidly burning out and doing very little other than logging in to change skills.

Recently I've had very little time to actually log in and play, and when I do it's been to run a few odd missions, do a little mining, and recently to go 'ooh' at the shiny new graphics. I haven't RP'd in ages, in fact the last serious RP I did was in the Eve's Next Top Model competition back in June, which I enjoyed immensely; it got my creative juices flowing and actually made me look forward to logging in.

(In fact it was also the first serious RP I ever did in EVE, and it made me wish I'd started it sooner!)

I continued to RP for a short while after that, but it slowly ground to a halt, so I've been thinking in which direction to take Lord Wamphyri. Having been a carebear for pretty much all of my Eve life I have next to no combat experience, apart from blowing up one noob ship in Lowsec with an alt.. however I felt so guilty afterwards as it was a geniune new player and not somebodies alt that I sent them a few million ISK and a friendly message to tell them that they needed to be more careful in Low!

That being said, the piracy option does hold some attraction, so I looked into Pirate corps. Unfortunately as my online time has been sporadic of late, coupled with the aforementioned lack of combat PVP experience,  I doubt I'd be a very attractive prospect for any corp.

So thus was my dilemma - I wanted to explore Wamp's dark side, not only from an RP perspective but also from my gaming style, but where and how to start?

So I thought about Wamp, and originally when I started EVE he was created based on the Vampire character he'd been in other previous games I'd played, however Vampires don't really sit well in the mythos of New Eden so the backstory was put aside and he became just another mission runner/industrialist. But now it's time for a change, and after doing a little research I reckon that Wamp would probably fit in well with the Blood Raiders...

He's already been introduced to the Sani Sabik through the ENTM competition and found it quite alluring, so I'm pretty sure that's the direction I want to take him in. I need to do more research into this though before I plunge headlong into it. I guess what I'm asking for is some advice about how to kick this off, both from an RP perspective and from the actual Flying in Space part..

So far my plan entails - Fly and resettle in Blood Raider space. Do missions for Blood Raider agents. Change portrait to have a Blood Raider background.

When I look at it like that it seems pretty lame, so I could really use some advice. Backstory wise I'm still fleshing out and working out the logistics of the whole thing, as it's not just Wamp to consider but his partner. I'm hoping to find a RP corp that would fill in my needs there, and also be a bit flexible while my online hours are still a bit sporadic.

I find that RP really inspires me to do better. I already have several (somewhat unrelated) plans in mind but seem to be having severe writers block at the moment. I need a solid dose of RP to clear the channels and get writing again.. I'm hoping if I can pull off this new path for Wamp it will open the floodgates..

Any and all advice would be very much appreciated!

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver
Re: Lord Wamphyri - A new beginning?
« Reply #1 on: 06 Dec 2011, 19:14 »

You probably shouldn't forget to work on the PvP thing as well...  :yar: not  :bear:

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #2 on: 06 Dec 2011, 19:20 »

Well, I can't offer much since I don't know many blood raider groups on a level to recommend them or not.  I would give a plea to give the "light side" a chance, but that's me.

Good luck though, and I hope it works for you.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #3 on: 07 Dec 2011, 05:01 »

Regarding the lack of PvP experience, it's not that hard to ease yourself into it. I know a lot of 'pirate' corporations that don't have any issues taking on and tutoring newer or inexperienced players as long as they're willing to learn. ANSH certainly doesn't have any issues doing it.
If you want to get into piracy without corporate affiliation, grab some T1 cruisers, PvP fit them, and roll out into lowsec looking for trouble.

Alternatively, I run pretty regular roams out into nullsec with a help channel. (I'm a terrible FC, but it's kinda fun sometimes), which is apparently a good way to get into the swing of things according to new combat pilots I've flown with. Give me a prod ingame if you're interested.
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2011, 05:13 by Milo Caman »

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #4 on: 07 Dec 2011, 05:10 »

Pick on facwar pilots.

80% of them will put up a feeble resistance, the other 20% will offer you good fights and probably teach you something. Takes a while to find a target that isn't fopping around in a faction frigate, and some will prove too illusive, but no one said finding a fight is easy. Not a fight you'd like to pick, at least.

If you're fighting on their terms, you're already off to a bad start. So, solo nullsec work in a T1, dueling at planets, these would be things to avoid.

Or, if you like flying with others, what Milo said. Just don't be afraid to lose a ship. You usually only learn by dying.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 07 Dec 2011, 10:02 »

Pick on facwar pilots.

Fair warning - 50% of us are bait for a blob. Another 25% will run away and come back with a blob. It's a very  :s situation.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lord Wamphyri

• Exhibitionist
  • Clonejack
« Reply #6 on: 07 Dec 2011, 10:46 »

Thanks for the replies so far  :)

I think the biggest thing that has held me back in the past - as far as pvp is concerned - is not having an indefinite amount of ISK to replace things when my ships go boom! For the past couple of years I've been living off the proceeds of a character sale, buying all the new shiny things I wanted.. I ran a pos in WH space solo for just over a year while I was in my antisocial phase lol.. but that amount is dwindling.

I think I'm ready to risk it all now though, but I would like the RP to back it up :)

My current thoughts are to simply advertise myself on the relevant Corp recruitment board on the Eve forums, and just see where that takes me..

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #7 on: 07 Dec 2011, 14:00 »

Pick on facwar pilots.

Fair warning - 50% of us are bait for a blob. Another 25% will run away and come back with a blob. It's a very  :s situation.

Maybe where you're from, but the FedNav and CalNav ones are always solo.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 08 Dec 2011, 13:02 »

Pick on facwar pilots.

Really ?

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #9 on: 08 Dec 2011, 13:28 »

Pick on facwar pilots.

Really ?

Well, call it anecdotal, but in 40+ kills of militia pilots during my crew's time in Placid, I've only once seen a second pilot from the same militia show up to avenge a slain comrade, and it was accidental. There was that fun day QCats came to Intaki to save their friends, I guess, but that took a tower warning to draw their attention.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #10 on: 08 Dec 2011, 14:05 »

There is never just one Qcat.  Accept X-Gallentius (sp?).  Cool dude.  Funny too.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #11 on: 09 Dec 2011, 15:25 »

Pick on facwar pilots.

Really ?

Well, call it anecdotal, but in 40+ kills of militia pilots during my crew's time in Placid, I've only once seen a second pilot from the same militia show up to avenge a slain comrade, and it was accidental. There was that fun day QCats came to Intaki to save their friends, I guess, but that took a tower warning to draw their attention.

If I had reasons to come and fight in that war, I definitly would. :/

I quite enjoyed Black Rise and Placid in the past.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #12 on: 09 Dec 2011, 15:53 »

Its kind of few and far between these days. This week I haven't even seen a beacon up. Never had any luck in Black Rise, myself.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you