General Discussion > General Non-RP EVE Discussion

Leaving EVE

(1/5) > >>

Ken:
I'm facing what should only be described as another long (10-12 months) business trip with expectations of intermittent to zero Internet access.  I think at least a few of you share that sort of occupational hazard with me.  Others certainly run into similar situations where they can't put in much time for gameplay or even casual RP/forums for a while.

What do you do about it?

I certainly have no desire to put the game away for good.  In EVE patience reaps great dividends and I'm invested in the universe for the long haul.  Now, I've got a lovely wife who has selflessly updated skill queues for me during shorter absences, but this one will be quite a bit longer.  I think I can convince her to carry the burden nevertheless.  My real dilemma is in the RP/character development side of things. 

In particular, how did you justify a character's absence for such a long time in IC terms?  I can think of plenty of justifications, but I'm wondering what reasons you might see (or have used) for a capsuleer to vanish for up to a year and then return from the blue.  If you've ever had to step away from the game for longer than, say, one subscription cycle (30 days), what did you do with your account(s), skills, assets, corps, RP storylines, etc?  Did you keep up with IC events even when you couldn't login?  Did you keep writing and did you write more or less?  I'm not necessarily looking for advice here.  I just want to hear your experiences.

Casiella:
Prison (or on the lam) has worked for me in the past.

Ulphus:
I've only really had a month or so at a time off. Excuses for my various characters have included:
* Going on a luxury cruise
* A vherokior character going on a spirit walk to understand some dreams (undetermined how long it would take)
* a Sebiestor character going to a gathering of clans to be shown off by his aunties as "their" pod pilot...

A year is a long time, but the Spirit walk might work for that, and you could come back with new directions and motivations for your character.

Alain Colcer:
A wealthy individual has hired your consultant services for space-bound business, but being an eccentric client, he (or she) demands you travel along in the flesh.

The business is of course a roundtrip is obviously quite long, and will include everything from Planetary development, Starbases and most importantly supply chain management.

Given the ammount of zeros in your paycheck, you have decided this venture is a quite profitable one, and a change of pace from being a Capsuleer.

Saede Riordan:
I have an epic story arc designed to take place the next time I need to go away, wherein Nikita is....lost, to put it lightly.

but it could be a number of things you could do, Coma, dealing with something family related, captured by xyzq group to do xyzq thing, sold into slavery, missing in deep space, honeymoon, birth of a child, friend/lover severely injured, sabbatical, finding god, the list goes on and on and on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version