General Discussion > General Non-RP EVE Discussion

Removal of learning skills

<< < (2/7) > >>

Wanoah:

--- Quote from: Seriphyn on 11 Jun 2010, 04:30 ---I don't actually see any sort of valid point to learning, at all...new players are recommended by folk to train these immediately, and have to spend a month training useless stuff that won't increase their immersion into the game etc.

--- End quote ---

I always thought that people suggesting this were being disingenuous. Back when I used to play Eve and actually could tolerate the forums, I would try and stomp on this suggestion wherever I saw it. It's fine to spend a month training learning skills for a second character, but absolutely not for your first and only character. No point in having all learning skills at 5 if you just quit the game, right?

What the learning skills give you is a choice. You don't have to train them. You certainly don't have to max them all out. They offer you an opportunity to weigh up the benefits and make your own decision on whether they are worthwhile or not. Do you trade long-term gains for short-term advantage? Do you balance fun and opportunity with the medium and long-term advantages? Or do you bide your time and play the long game, knowing that in the future you will be able to exceed your peers in terms of skills?

Nakatre Read:
Bob seems happy that he won in your sig.

/end hijack

Vieve:

--- Quote from: Lillith Blackheart on 11 Jun 2010, 07:34 ---I don't think it's a coincidence that the double-sp bonus you get for new characters is enough to finish out the learning skills plus a few needed skills to use the hardware you get through the tutorial.

--- End quote ---

I've trained learning skills for my alts:  though I didn't (with the exception of Celeste, because she predates that double-bonus) until they'd blown through the double-sp bonus while training basic skills to at least three and a few specialized skills to at least IV.

Esna Pitoojee:
If nothing else whatsoever, learning skill teach a good lesson about patience to all those rookies.

Seriphyn:
I mean, again, what's posted here are compromises and workarounds. Sure they all work, but why are they needed in the first place :?:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version