Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Samuel Rackham Premium Caldari Ale is made with aroma hops from the widely recognized agricultural facilities of Haatomo III? For more, see here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Black Thursday: Layoffs hit CCP, WoD cancellation inside story leaks  (Read 4221 times)

Shiori

Here: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/world-of-darkness-the-inside-story-mmo-ccp-white-wolf. Spotted thanks to @Freebooted. Tiens, it's Dropbear telling the inside story of WoD's development hell, and some typical CCP management practices.

Also: suddenly, layoffs! http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/5/5782190/ccp-iceland-layoffs-eve-online

« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2014, 09:00 by Shiori »

PracticalTechnicality

Re: WoD cancellation inside story in The Guardian
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jun 2014, 06:56 »

Good writing on the part of the author there.  Dropbear sticks the knife in with precision and flair, while retaining plausibility and a mien of honesty.  He sounds like a guy who could pass on a lot of wisdom despite his brief time in the industry.

Accountability, drive and discipline seem to be things that the games industry in general is shy of - and why wouldn't they be?  One of the least regulated industries outside of running a PMC doesn't want to have fetters on it, even if it'd be beneficial to the consumer?  Shocker. 

The only way this is going to change is if people make it clear that it isn't features and polish that make us loyal, but consistency and inclusivity.  Not necessarily an inclusive design process, but inclusion in transitions and the removal of all but the most barebones mechanic-protecting NDAs to drop this silly "Tinker Tailor, Soldier, Dev" bullcrap would go a lot way to inspire faith, which is the precursor to loyalty. 

CCP want to pretend to be our friends while talking smack and charging us double mark-up at the playground tuck shop.  We've made our friends, online and irl - CCP need to grow up and start conducting itself like a business.  Not some clannish nostalgia factory run by man-children who want to make their personal dream real.  Once you put your dreams in the hands of customers, even if they are not shareholders they become stakeholders.  Not able to necessarily input (nor should they) in the design and execution process, but able to influence the well being of the game through non-participation should it come to it. 

Earn our respect and loyalty back CCP, and prove you're capable of keeping your eye on the ball instead of pissing the carpet like an excited dog whenever a jesus feature rear's it's head.  I still have faith they can turn it around and EVE certainly isn't dying, but the prognosis isn't looking fantastic atm.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jun 2014, 07:05 »

I really really want to like CCP, but they're such jerks.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jun 2014, 07:22 »

CCP are one of the strangest companies I've ever seen. They seem to manage to hold two totally contrasting opinions of themselves at the same time. They both take themselves very, very seriously, and not seriously at all.

It's weird.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

PracticalTechnicality

« Reply #4 on: 05 Jun 2014, 08:14 »

Shiori

« Reply #5 on: 05 Jun 2014, 08:58 »

Eterne is among the ones who got laid off, but "The EVE Online Dev Team is not reduced by the restructuring at CCP," so that's okay I guess~*

Also Dropbear has apparently sworn off writing for the video games industry and become some kind of Bitcoin enthusiast.

(*: sarcasm tilde)

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

Geez, how many are left?

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

Eterne, the guy who writes background and stuff, and does the live events ?

well, that's that then, isn't it ?
\o/

Makoto Priano

Frig. They're laying off Eterne?

I mean, I preferred Falcon's writing to Eterne's, but EVE is already way too light on news, and they've roped Falcon into forum-wrangling instead of writing news or leading events.

Honestly? I think CCP needs a cultural reformation.

Muck Raker

• Wetgraver

well now I feel like an idiot for having addressed a recent petition to ccp Eterne.

Shiori

Geez, how many are left?
All of the important pixel pushers and bit flippers and suity types are still here, now give us your $15

Lyn Farel

Funny reading him. Reflects pretty much what I live at work everyday, even if not at absurd scales like that. The only thing that is different is that we can't just fire people like that...

I feel for him, but myself after barely one year in the industry already want to hang myself at times. I can't even imagine what they have to put up with in a madhouse like CCP's.
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2014, 12:53 by Lyn Farel »

Shiori

« Reply #12 on: 05 Jun 2014, 13:12 »

Accountability, drive and discipline seem to be things that the games industry in general is shy of - and why wouldn't they be? 
The games industry, most of the software industry really, loves drive. It's very exploitable!

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger

RIP Eterne

Rhiannon

• Wetgraver

This sort of thing really saps my enthusiasm to play EVE.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4