Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the connections inside a pod serve as both communications pathways and security wiring? (The Burning Life, p 30)

Author Topic: Banner Saga  (Read 673 times)

Lyn Farel

Banner Saga
« on: 21 Jan 2014, 14:24 »

I can only urgently urge you to try that gem. That game story and universe has nothing to envy to Tolkien, and the game itself is rather good, and quite unforgiving too depending on the choices you make.

To be clearer, it's a tactical RPG that got founded on kickstarter very recently, in full 2D HD with incredible score, graphics, animation and art direction as well. I still have to finish it though, and it looks to have a really good amount of time to spend on it since i'm probably still far from the end with 15 hours of play...

That game definitely deserves more attention.

Trailer here

« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2014, 14:37 by Lyn Farel »

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: Banner Saga
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2014, 14:31 »

Wow.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2014, 16:47 »

I have this. played it. finished it. Steam stats said I played it for 13 hours. might be reasonably accurate, with an exception though.

I wrote a review of it on steam.

[spoiler]
It is very pretty, artwork is very nice, setting is interesting, with a lot of effort seemingly having gone into creating a fascinating backstory for the world. There are some moments in the story which will provoke an emotional reaction. Mostly "noooo!", it is a bleak tale of the apparent end of the world after all.

However, it is short, I felt, for the price asked for. It is also apparently part 1, and part 2 and 3 are as yet, unfunded, according to the developers - they are waiting to see how well it sells before they can commit to making any more.

The balance at the moment, is somewhat off, as relating to management of resources. This is supposed to be addressed soon in a patch though. I experienced a few game lockups, which were very, very frustrating due to how the game saves its state. Having to force-close the game and reload, meant having to redo an hour or more.

I'm conflicted as to whether or not to recommend this. On the one hand, if I recommend it, then it raises the chances of the story being continued, and finding out what happens next. On the other hand, the length of the game, for the price asked, and some of the problems I encountered, and the prospect that parts 2 and 3 may never exist, means that I can't honestly recommend it at this time.

Pros: Art is great, setting is interesting, story is involving.
Cons: Short length, price, a few glitches, cliffhanger with uncertain prospect of resolution.
[/spoiler]

\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2014, 17:58 »

I didn't know there was no part 2 and 3 yet... Though 15 hours for a first part is already great imo. 20 bucks for a game like that doenst seem too expensive to me considering the result, but if they continue to charge us for the same amount for all the next parts... Might be a lot of money. Do we buy the whole game here or just part 1 exactly ?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2014, 18:09 »

According to comments on the steam forum for it, what you get on steam is just the first part.

It also seems to be the case that kickstarter backers will not get anything other than this part, maybe a small discount on subsequent parts. There's some discontent about that.

Should there be subsequent parts, they will also be standalone, though apparently you would be able to copy/paste your game save file over. Not exactly a seamless process.
\o/

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2014, 18:57 »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2014, 05:17 »

/o\

Kopenhagen

• Wetgraver
    • Bitter Vet's Social Club
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2014, 05:23 »

I am in love with this game. Already restarted about 6 times to try different choices. Perhaps, one day, I will play through it.

:D

A man who does not test his shaving cream for poison each morning has lost the will to live.

Desiderya

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2014, 06:38 »

I remember seeing this pop up on kickstarter, looked very interesting, so it's good to see it finally released, and even better to hear that it has turned out to be not just a proper, but also a good game. :)