Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Dam-Torsad is the Amarr Imperial City and capital? Read the chron!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition  (Read 8159 times)

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
« on: 07 Sep 2012, 13:46 »

http://www.baldursgate.com/

Very excited about an official facelift for Baldur's Gate and the ability to multiplayer with my friends without TCP/IP workarounds. (BGT+SCS mods were p.nice though)

Anyone else have this preordered? :D

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
« Reply #1 on: 07 Sep 2012, 14:28 »

Thank you, thank you, thank you for bringing this to my attention.  Baldurs Gate is my favorite game experience, bar none. 

From pissing off my girlfriend by slipping out of bed with her to play the first one at 3am, to the final moment of the Throne of Bhaal when you read up on what happens to all your various NPCs and followers and friends, I loved it.

So pre-ordered this.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #2 on: 07 Sep 2012, 14:32 »

Am I reading this wrong.. or is this going to be free?

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 07 Sep 2012, 14:36 »

Thank you, thank you, thank you for bringing this to my attention.  Baldurs Gate is my favorite game experience, bar none.
Penny Arcade's comic this morning reminded me I ought to make a thread.

Am I reading this wrong.. or is this going to be free?
$20 USD

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #4 on: 07 Sep 2012, 16:28 »

This is so much win!
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #5 on: 07 Sep 2012, 16:32 »

I am bad at their website. Do you already need the game, and this is like an expansion pack, or can you buy this and it works as the game?

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 07 Sep 2012, 17:28 »

I am bad at their website. Do you already need the game, and this is like an expansion pack, or can you buy this and it works as the game?
http://www.baldursgate.com/windows.en.html is probably what you're looking for.

It's a standalone refinement of the classic first Baldur's Gate plus the expansion, Tales of the Sword Coast. The game will look and play more like Baldur's Gate 2, which uses a superior version of the exact same engine (Infinity Engine). However, BG:EE will only cover the first part of the series, plus some new content tucked in.

Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition will come at a later date. As I understand it, if they do well enough financially and the team proves capable of producing their own content then they'll get the go-ahead to begin on Baldur's Gate 3, which does not exist yet. I don't know how I feel about that last part yet, but we'll see.

Druur Monakh

• Wetgraver
    • Hazardous Goods
« Reply #7 on: 07 Sep 2012, 21:41 »

While I have finished BG-ToB before, should I ever convince myself to buy a tablet, this is the first game I'd be buying for it. This is a game which just screams for a tablet version.

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2012, 17:10 »

Bumping because this just released the other day, after having been delayed for a couple months.

There's a good handful of bugs and oversights still (e.g. poor Intel graphics chipset performance, no longer able to adjust game speed via config, resting at an inn while playing multiplayer crashes the game, other stuff) but I am really liking a lot of the little improvements they have tucked in and Beamdog will (hopefully) be steadily patching the game.

That said I started a multiplayer session with a friend the other night. We only made it as far as Nashkel, but it was a really nostalgic great time.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2012, 17:22 »

The only reason I haven't picked this up already is that I imagine the modding community haven't had a chance to upgrade the essential mods yet. I'd rather play the old version with the NPC Project mods than the new version without them, but I hope it won't be long before I can have my cake and eat it too.  :)

Edit: Yeah, I see they're already working on getting the NPC Project compatible. Unfinished Business too. Goodie.

The NPC Project, by the way, is a mod that gives a serious facelift to NPC companion banter and interaction in Baldur's Gate 1. Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2012, 17:49 by Natalcya Katla »
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2012, 17:45 »

Shouldn't be too long now. I don't think all of them are converted yet, but the modding community has been very positive. As I understand it, it's largely a matter of the mod authors fixing up each WeiDU installer to recognize and use BG:EE.

I haven't sank my teeth into the new content much yet, but so far The Black Pits has terrific voice acting and interesting characters, so I'm looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2012, 00:33 by Safai »

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 03 Dec 2012, 13:05 »

I was looking for custom portraits the other day and none of them were suiting my taste, so I decided to combine the powers of EVE's Character Creator and Photoshop to create some customs. I tried to have them resemble the BG2 NPC style.

The first two are for my multiplayer game, my Human Cleric (NG) and friend's Human Archer (CG) respectively. The third is my own Bhaalspawn single player, a Human Monk (LE). Feel free to crop and use them if you like.

Edit; touched them up somewhat.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2012, 17:29 by Safai »

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 03 Dec 2012, 13:47 »

Feel free to crop and use them if you like.

Sweet. Thank you.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2013, 16:06 »

"Ahh, the Child of Bhaal has awoken. It is time for more ... experiments ..."

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition releases in a couple hours. I've got it preloading right now, and a multiplayer party for tonight. Very excite! :D

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition Launch Trailer

And for those with BG:EE who haven't played it this month, there was an update on November 1st which added some features you will see in BG2:EE, such as
- Better compatibilty with intel chipsets (was a big issue)
- Multiplayer match-making (still pretty beta though)
- Auto-resized custom portraits
- Scaleable UI, new font (better imo), and other interface improvements
- Many bugs squashed

edit; I also want to plug artastrophe's NPC Portraits and Portrait Pack because they're beautifully done, add a lot of variety and look terrific in game.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2013, 16:16 by Safai »

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2013, 13:12 »

I have been playing BG a lot recently. It's made me ponder the value of voice acting: every word voiced in a large RPG is a huge overhead and a limitation. In BG, the mix of voice work and text seems to be a happy compromise that maybe some larger developers should hark back to.

When this was first released (I mean originally, not this enhanced edition) it did not grab me at all. I think it was a demo on a magazine cover disc (remember those?). I vaguely recall wandering out of Candlekeep, then immediately being set upon by wolves and dying. Ragequit! It's nice to revisit after all these years and play a game I missed out on. :)
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction
Pages: [1] 2