Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front's "rampant griffin" corp logo was adopted after the pro-Federation corp The Durandal Organization created a logo using motifs similar to the ILF's original logo?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 5427 times)

Kemekk

• Amarrian Ultranationalist
  • Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #30 on: 03 Dec 2011, 12:51 »

So yeah, don't buy this for the singleplayer alone. Granted, if you DO buy a Battlefield game for the Singleplayer alone, you're a bit daft. These games have always been about the massively awesome multiplayer that makes CoD and so on look pretty shite in comparison. Once I get back home to a decent internet connection, I'll be doing BF3 Multiplayer for a while to see how that squares up against BF2's insanely addictive multiplayer that still hasn't been beaten by any other game out there. Well, until this, MAYBE. We'll just have to see once I get back home.

If you have a passing interest in awesome multiplayer and want a singleplayer game to dabble with on the side? This just might be for you.

I agree 100% with both of your points.

Battlefield games always have mediocre single player, and BF2 had amazing multiplayer that has surpassed all CoD games. I think you will be in for a treat with BF3 multiplayer, it's just like BF2 but with updated graphics.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #31 on: 03 Dec 2011, 12:54 »

I loved the single player. I usually do, actually. MW2, BC2, MOH, Black Ops, BF3...

They're all great stories and engaging campaigns. I never hear legitimate criticisms to the contrary.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Kemekk

• Amarrian Ultranationalist
  • Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios
« Reply #32 on: 03 Dec 2011, 12:56 »

I enjoyed all of those too, Senn, but Battlefield singleplayer has always seemed less impressive to me than CoD singleplayer.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #33 on: 03 Dec 2011, 13:15 »

Oh I've always enjoyed the singleplayer in those games, just like I did enjoy this one too... but I don't think they're good enough to justify the price. Not by themselves. The Modern Warfare series in particular (along with the Black Ops side-step) is one with good singleplayer, decent storytelling, great spectacles and so on... but it's just not long enough nor does it have the replayability required for me to consider it worth the money by itself. Less than five hours of gameplay? What the shit? Sure, those four point something hours are good enough fun but come on. I can buy a huge stack of movies for the same price and get damn close to the same level of entertainment over a much longer period of time. Especially since the games are so enormously linear that replaying it is pretty much just like watching a movie again. You know exactly what'll happen and when. You don't even have the RPG element where you can change the gameplay through changing your playstyle/character.

I expect more than four point something hours of perfectly linear gameplay when I dish out fifty-sixty bucks and that is where Multiplayer comes in. The Battlefield series (and after having played BF3 multiplayer for a bit) rocks my world in that regard. That is where it rises so far above the CoD/MW series that it's practically in geostationary orbit over a gasping asthmatic snail.

EDIT: To add to the above: I can actually see spending sixty bucks on a four point something hour long singleplayer campaign without multiplayer attached if it actually blows my mind a little. BF3 and MW3 does not, because it doesn't innovate. Where Portal and Portal 2 are short and sweet little games, they still manage to cram in something innovative and new, changing either the gameplay or the story/plot enough to throw me a curveball. That just doesn't happen in MW3 or BF3's singleplayer. Until they do, Multiplayer is what needs to lift it up to make it worth the money.

Revised recommendation: If you want fantastic multiplayer with a decent enough singleplayer on the side? Buy BF3. If you want good (but very short) singleplayer with a meh enough multiplayer on the side? Buy MW3 once it's on Steam's Christmas sale.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2011, 13:18 by Mizhara »

Drake Arson

• Toaster Strudel
  • Clonejack
« Reply #34 on: 06 Dec 2011, 17:43 »

Must. Get. Git. It.

As soon as I get off this base im headed to the store to get the game AND a new graphics card. SOmething tells me imma gonna need it.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #35 on: 06 Dec 2011, 19:02 »

The only reason I've boycotted MW3 is because of that fucking sweepstakes of theirs.

Bribing me to eat Doritos and drink Mountain Dew to get double xp. You'd like that, wouldn't you. An unhealthy nerd getting to top rank with no skill, unable to either physically or mentally act with enough alacrity to surpass anyone.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #36 on: 06 Dec 2011, 20:09 »

The only reason I've boycotted MW3 is because of that fucking sweepstakes of theirs.

Bribing me to eat Doritos and drink Mountain Dew to get double xp. You'd like that, wouldn't you. An unhealthy nerd getting to top rank with no skill, unable to either physically or mentally act with enough alacrity to surpass anyone.

What? Sources?

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #37 on: 06 Dec 2011, 20:33 »

What? Sources?

You didn't hear about this?

http://www.shacknews.com/article/70795/modern-warfare-3-double-xp-promotion-explained

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #38 on: 06 Dec 2011, 21:42 »

:bash:

Not surprised, but still feels facepalm worthy to me.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #39 on: 06 Dec 2011, 21:52 »

It hurt me, deeply. I wanted to play MW3 and BF3 side by side, but... it was like discovering a horrible secret about your lover.

I didn't want to let it go, but I could never look at it the same way again. :c

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 07 Dec 2011, 01:31 »

Weak. Another reason to the long list of reasons I'll never get that failure of an over-hyped game. I never even considered getting black ops, and seriously regret getting MW2. Deleted it a long time ago.

BF3 however, has everything I ever wanted from a FPS online shooter. It even has legions of retarded solo-players who couldn't co-operate to win a match even if their lives depended on it. Once I'm on a team who actually cooperates effectively and do what they have to, the win's tend to have a domino-effect.

And whatever I can complain about with the player-base, I've yet to see something with the game itself that is broken or over/under-powered.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #41 on: 07 Dec 2011, 06:11 »

MW stands for MechWarrior and anyone who says different is worse than Stefan Amaris.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 07 Dec 2011, 06:46 »

MW stands for MechWarrior and anyone who says different is worse than Stefan Amaris.
I have no idea who that is, but get the feeling I should be happy for that.

MW2/3 stands for modern warfail 2/3. Anyone who says different is a non-person without any practical value.

Your move 8)

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #43 on: 07 Dec 2011, 06:50 »

Queen to FU.

Checkmate.

:P
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 07 Dec 2011, 07:23 »

:D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4