Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The True Slaves are loyal, implant controlled slave troops of Sansha Kuvakei? Moar here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 5426 times)

Altarr Orkot

• Clonejack
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #15 on: 31 Oct 2011, 15:13 »

I'm not particularily happy with installing spyware on my computer. If you're not aware of the 'features' of origin I'd encourage you to look it up. Personally I've decided not to support that with my wallet. So while I'm missing out on some interesting games there'll still be more games than I've time for to play. ;)

Realistically Origin doesn't seem to be anymore 'spyware' then Steam. 

Desiderya

« Reply #16 on: 31 Oct 2011, 20:34 »

I would argue that there is a world of difference. Steam had its problems with snooping around too much in the beginnings, too, but what origins seems to be able to - and what the eula you accept covers - is a bit more than reading out your system's specs. Check the web. It's not hard to find.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112559-Internet-Explodes-Over-Origins-Invasion-of-Privacy

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #17 on: 31 Oct 2011, 22:25 »

The TOS/EULA was also updated in response to that outcry and doesn't contain that overly broad language anymore. I read it over before I downloaded it and didn't see anything hugely different than what the Steam EULA has on it, but I'm also not amazing at lawyer speak. vOv

After someone on FB posted a video of a guy running ProcMon on it in an earlier version I repeated the same test myself and didn't see the program accessing anything outside of its own program folder and some entries in the registry. If I'm bored enough later I may poke around it more but there wasn't anything eyebrow raising in those logs. I may not like EA all that much but I haven't seen anything with my own eyes that indicates they are using Origin as some sort of spyware.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #18 on: 01 Nov 2011, 05:55 »

Im still wondering should i buy this game.  :roll:

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #19 on: 01 Nov 2011, 17:56 »

Quick post:

Who's playing? I setup an Inspiracy platoon on the off-chance people wanted to coordinate and maybe get some decent 4 man squad play going. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655391336552535/ . Taking suggestions for tickers (max 4 characters) as it could do with something more clever.

(And yes, that emblem is totally random).

DL'ing the game atm, got it as a gift from a friend, and I've allready joined his gaming community platoon - is it possible to be part of more than one at a time, or is this like a clan or guild, more than just a group?

Misan

• Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 01 Nov 2011, 18:25 »

They work basically like Steam groups, you can be a part of as many as you want. You do have to designate one as a 'primary' and that is the only one which it will track your stats in, but that isn't really much of a big deal.

Im still wondering should i buy this game.  :roll:

I'm definitely enjoying it (probably a bit too much  :oops:). On the whole its a solid shooter and if you liked BF2 at all it has all the good things about that game in it. Personally the biggest things for me are all the little things that add up to making it more enjoyable/more realistic than earlier BF games or the CoD series. Mostly the lack of lunge-knifing bullshit that CoD:BO seemed to devolve into, but I'm mostly bitter about not being able to be a total shotgun whore due to that.  :roll:

I may put the :effort: into writing up something proper about multi at some point, but not yet. :P
Twitter

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #21 on: 01 Nov 2011, 18:34 »

Damn, Hard mode is kicking my ass. Lot of fun though! :D
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #22 on: 02 Nov 2011, 08:21 »

Singleplayer review of BF3:

Well, it's not exactly the finest FPS I've ever played in that regard, but damn if it doesn't deliver. It's the same old formula that's been done  to death by now. You jump into the heads of one main character with some detours into a few other people's heads throughout the game. You shoot shit with a fairly impressive variety of weapons and you deal with some fairly major threats throughout the game. It's not very good at giving you the trademark Battlefield HUEG maps with a lot of freedom. The maps are one route only and not too impressive in that regard. It's all been seen before. Still, that doesn't detract all that much from the singleplayer experience since... well, hell... how much more do we really want in an FPS? It's pretty much as it should be in that regard. The story is decent enough, even if we've seen it before. It's told in the same way we've seen it be told before. It's finished in the same way we've seen it before and... well, we've seen ALL of this before. I don't mind that much, myself, since I enjoyed it in the past and I'm not the kind of guy that stops eating bacon sandwiches just because I've had one in the past. They're still fucking yummy when I get hungry. You hungry for a military FPS? This'll fill ya. It also features some of the greatest 'blinding' effects I've seen in a game. If the hostiles shine a torch in your eyes, you'll know what I'm talking about.

What does piss me off royally though is that they've infested this game too with that utter shite that is Quicktime Events. I swear to God, I was in a quicktime event battle with a fucking RAT in this game! I... hate... quicktime... events. They've NEVER been a good idea and they never will be. I really don't get why the devs are so freakin' into Quicktime eve... oh wait... wait...

... yeah, console gamers. God damnit. How many games need to be ruined to appease them before the devs stop bringing the quicktime shite over into PC versions? Gnnnrgh. Even the sodding bossfight was a quicktime event.

So yeah, don't buy this for the singleplayer alone. Granted, if you DO buy a Battlefield game for the Singleplayer alone, you're a bit daft. These games have always been about the massively awesome multiplayer that makes CoD and so on look pretty shite in comparison. Once I get back home to a decent internet connection, I'll be doing BF3 Multiplayer for a while to see how that squares up against BF2's insanely addictive multiplayer that still hasn't been beaten by any other game out there. Well, until this, MAYBE. We'll just have to see once I get back home.

If you have a passing interest in awesome multiplayer and want a singleplayer game to dabble with on the side? This just might be for you.

Jalenar Frost

• Clonejack
  • Green Meany
« Reply #23 on: 02 Nov 2011, 11:40 »

This thread is not doing me any favors.  If I were to fail to resist in the near future, is it self explainatory as to how to join these groups?
"The difference between a warrior and an ordinary man is that a warrior sees everything as a challenge, while an ordinary man sees everything as either a blessing or a curse.
-Don Juan; A Seperate Reality

Misan

• Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 02 Nov 2011, 11:57 »

There is an apply to join button at the top right once you have a registered Battlelog account.

As far as MP goes Miz, admittedly my memories of BF2 are a bit sketchy as it has been a long time, but so far I feel like it has all the good stuff besides artillery strikes (do mortars count?) that BF2 had. Try playing the 64 player maps on Large Conquest to get the more BF2-esque feel, especially on Operation Firestorm, Damavand Peak, or Caspian Border. They have a few close quarters maps which are awesome as well, though I tend to prefer them on Rush rather than Conquest (Seine Crossing <3).
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2011, 12:03 by Misan »
Twitter

Jalenar Frost

• Clonejack
  • Green Meany
« Reply #25 on: 02 Nov 2011, 14:30 »

I would argue that there is a world of difference. Steam had its problems with snooping around too much in the beginnings, too, but what origins seems to be able to - and what the eula you accept covers - is a bit more than reading out your system's specs. Check the web. It's not hard to find.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112559-Internet-Explodes-Over-Origins-Invasion-of-Privacy

The EULA no longer contains that language.  I can provide a copy of the current one if you're interested.
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2011, 15:00 by Jalenar Frost »
"The difference between a warrior and an ordinary man is that a warrior sees everything as a challenge, while an ordinary man sees everything as either a blessing or a curse.
-Don Juan; A Seperate Reality

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #26 on: 02 Nov 2011, 14:34 »

Misan

• Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 02 Nov 2011, 15:05 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lGUOFjMuQA

As I said earlier, I went and ran the same tests on my machine as that guy did. Even re-ran them again just now while running Skype, IRC, uTorrent, multiple chat clients, TweetDeck, Firefox, and even Picasa. I couldn't find a single instance of Origin accessing a folder outside its own installed location and some basic Windows system files (plus the usual registry stuff). If Origin was doing that at some point it either no longer is, or is something unique to a regional version which I do not have (presumably they are the same). I saved my logs for later use, but it's easy enough to test this yourself if you already have Origin installed. Download ProcMon and filter it to only show Origin.exe events. After that just use Find to search for other stuff. I scanned through my log and didn't catch anything unusual.

It makes sense to be distrustful of EA especially after the initial snafu but its pretty easy to investigate both the EULA stuff and claims of Origin sniffing around where it shouldn't for yourselves. I've looked at both and don't see anything to be concerned about. They would have to be doing something much more sneaky (like rootkits :sony:) for the program I linked to not catch it.

I think Origin is hardly useful and pretty much a waste of HD space, especially since it doesn't share friends with Battlelog (stupid decision much?), but the rabble about it being spyware (because it ain't) really isn't the reason the software is distinctly underwhelming. I'd quote an alliance mate (for Bacch: Namamai) but the comment would be borderline moddable and not appropriate for an admin to post here. :P
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2011, 15:13 by Misan »
Twitter

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #28 on: 03 Nov 2011, 14:13 »

Started out as a sniper like I do in every game.

Slowly realizing I'm much better suited to the heavy support role.

Go figure.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #29 on: 02 Dec 2011, 23:52 »

Operation Dickhead;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BADJhIXiS4g

Further links will take you to operations Douchebag, Asshat and Crymore.

Enjoy  :bear:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4