Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That crews from destroyed capsuleer ships make up a substantial part of Blood Raider harvests? (The Burning Life, p. 59)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 5428 times)

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
Battlefield 3
« on: 28 Oct 2011, 13:15 »

Quick post:

Who's playing? I setup an Inspiracy platoon on the off-chance people wanted to coordinate and maybe get some decent 4 man squad play going. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655391336552535/ . Taking suggestions for tickers (max 4 characters) as it could do with something more clever.

(And yes, that emblem is totally random).
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2011, 14:02 »

Once I get the disk, I'll be on. :D
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2011, 13:33 »

I got two disks, and the bloody thing downloaded 11 or 12 GB from EA. As far as I could tell it didn't get any of the game off the disk except the Origin download tool. Didn't use the second disk at all

Single player (apparently I'm a weirdo for that being a lot of why I bought it) is a rail-car of a plot combined with cut scenes that pretend to give you interactivity the same way that Dragon's lair did - i.e. in the fight scenes, every 10 seconds it asks you to push a key or die. The key changes from scene to scene. That's the limit of your interactivity. Yawn.

Multi-player I'm slowly getting the hang of. The last few games I killed more people than I died to. Some of the spawn-into-the-line-of-fire aspects get old quickly.

Personally, I think I prefer Red Ochestra 2 combat, but there's no denying that there's a lot more people playing BF3 now.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2011, 13:36 »

If you bought a military FPS and expected anything other than a linear experience from single player, I have to wonder if you've played a military FPS before. >>
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2011, 14:14 »

Just got it downloaded. On vacation at the moment on a shitty connection so not going to bother with multiplayer any time soon. For now, I'll just be doing the singleplayer campaign. Will see what the rest of the MP world looks like in a week or so.

Desiderya

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2011, 15:04 »

Not with origin.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2011, 15:26 »

Not with origin.

I'd stand with ya there, if I wasn't too weak to resist the dual siren songs of BF3 (the previous installments having been among my top five FPS games ever made) and SW:TOR. Diablo 3 I'll be able to resist though. Blizzard's pissed me off too royally too many times to forgive anything but the Starcraft games.

Altarr Orkot

• Clonejack
« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2011, 16:02 »

Any particular reason you won't play the game with Origin?

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2011, 16:14 »

My disinclination to use Origin stems from EA being assholes to Valve over Steam.

Misan

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2011, 16:25 »

I got two disks, and the bloody thing downloaded 11 or 12 GB from EA. As far as I could tell it didn't get any of the game off the disk except the Origin download tool. Didn't use the second disk at all

Odd, I had no issues installing from the disk.

The battlefield series has never been about the single-player. The fact they even included it this time was a bit of surprise. Been thoroughly enjoying the multiplayer (a bit too much perhaps) though and that's what matters.
Twitter

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2011, 16:45 »

I only played SP to get some background to the MP. Only gave 50% of what I hoped for in that area (inner RPer I guess).

Multiplayer has to be the most cinematic experience I've ever had the pleasure with, tbh. To know that it's not scripted at all only adds to it. And the graphics...good God, run it on max everything and never slows down. The game is pretty amazing, but also immersive to the point of addiction, so I need to watch how much I play.

Best thing about it is how you can still score highly without actually doing that much killing.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2011, 19:05 »

If you bought a military FPS and expected anything other than a linear experience from single player, I have to wonder if you've played a military FPS before. >>

Well, I played BF2 a fair bit without playing multiplayer more than once. I played STALKER for hundreds of hours. I played COD:MW without playing MP at all; I played BFBC2 without being able to get it to run MP at all (not entirely sure why, something to do with being unable to convince it that I was running Punkbuster.) BFBC2 at least allows you to run around different sides of the target building when trying to reach the destination. BF3? Not so much.

I played Red Orchestra: Ostfront in Single player a lot (but also multiplayer when I could find enough players on a server with a ping lower than 200).

I live on the arse ends of the internet. When I tried BF2 multiplayer it got old really quickly having ping times two or three times longer than the other players.

BF3 has NZ and Aussie servers. RO2 has aussie servers (and I've even had some success playing on US servers).

Back to BF3. I guess I miss being able to see, identify and shoot targets more than 100 meters away over iron sights. It's definitely really slick, but I just prefer RO2 at the moment.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2011, 19:06 by Ulphus »
Long pause

Misan

• Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 30 Oct 2011, 19:53 »

Aside from the Tehran Highway map the netcode for this game is surprisingly good. Trying to play BFBC2 on Euro didn't work too well despite the latency not being too bad. Now I can play on ~150 ping servers without any real issue.

Have you been trying to hit people that far out Ulph? I'm sure it is doable as looking at my stats I actually have my longest headshot right now at >100m and I haven't touched any of the sniper rifles yet. Doable but difficult since you have to account for bullet drop without a high level of zoom and ballistic scope. I haven't played RO2 so I have no idea how it compares on that front.

Twitter

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 30 Oct 2011, 20:24 »

Have you been trying to hit people that far out Ulph? I'm sure it is doable as looking at my stats I actually have my longest headshot right now at >100m and I haven't touched any of the sniper rifles yet. Doable but difficult since you have to account for bullet drop without a high level of zoom and ballistic scope. I haven't played RO2 so I have no idea how it compares on that front.

In RO2 I think I have a screenshot of successive one-shot kills at more than 150m with a Mosin Nagant bolt action rifle over iron sights, I think my first kill with a Kar98 was about 195m. Although you can zero the sights to different ranges, I've found picking 100m pretty good for most things. (The MP40 actually has a choice between 100m and 200m, although I've had difficulty hitting anything more than about 60 meters away) I've yet to get any good with the sniper rifles.

Back to BF3, I haven't yet figured out where the range stats on are (I only figured out how to change teams yesterday) but I'll have a look later today. My issue is more that it's very difficult to spot targets at that sort of range to shoot at them unless they're running around standing up, but the Hitbox detection (with the little X that tells you you got a hit) seems quite generous. There are shots I've taken that I'd be sure missed but would give me the X. No kills you understand, but an X for encouragement.

Long pause

Desiderya

« Reply #14 on: 30 Oct 2011, 21:10 »

Any particular reason you won't play the game with Origin?
I'm not particularily happy with installing spyware on my computer. If you're not aware of the 'features' of origin I'd encourage you to look it up. Personally I've decided not to support that with my wallet. So while I'm missing out on some interesting games there'll still be more games than I've time for to play. ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4