Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Rogue Jovian General incident years ago sparked Tech 2?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Youtube Scourge: Slowdowns?  (Read 2259 times)

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
The Youtube Scourge: Slowdowns?
« on: 30 May 2011, 19:11 »

My capacity for patience has reached its end, it seems.

Many years ago now, during one of Youtube's updates, it changed some sort of coding. I'm not sure how to describe it, but the change appears to have increased how much system resources it consumes. The net effect is that whenever I run youtube videos while playing video games or full screen applications, the game/application slows down to a crawl.

Initially I blamed this on insufficient computer resources / virues / malware, the standard stuff. A year ago I had some pretty major hardware upgrades to the point multiple instances of really heavy games like Supreme Commander could be ran without an issue.

But that horrendous Youtube lag still exists, even after new hardware and a clean install on a fresh format.

So now I ask everyone, who else experiences this and is there any known fixes? Most of my inquiries on google have led me to things related malware/viruses, etc which I've eliminated as a root problem.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Dex_Kivuli

• Dex 2.11b
  • Egger
Re: The Youtube Scourge: Slowdowns?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2011, 21:28 »

So now I ask everyone, who else experiences this and is there any known fixes? Most of my inquiries on google have led me to things related malware/viruses, etc which I've eliminated as a root problem.

I don't know of a fix, but I too have experienced this problem... and before now I thought it was my terrible laptop. Specifically, I've noticed that when I watched Zero Punctuation videos through their website I'm fine, but when I watch them through YouTube everything clunks up.

Glad it's not just me.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2011, 23:58 »

Doesn't affect me. I guess it's specific to some software or hardware issue.
Firefox, Windows 7, a bajillion open applications/games, no effect.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2011, 00:08 »

I've noticed Firefox consumes significantly more memory whilst I'm watching Youtube Vids, but It doesn't seem to have a major impact on the rest of my system. Might be plugin-related? I had a similar issue with FF's Skype Plugin on other sites.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2011, 00:11 »

I've never had this issue, but...

First guess is, it's something relating to Macromedia Flashplayer. Is it possible to duplicate the effect using another site with large-ish flash videos?  If not, what about youtube videos embedded into another domain?

Second guess, it's something to do with the advertisements that now blanket Youtube interacting poorly with something else on your computer. Again, trying to view youtube videos embedded in other sites would give useful information on this.

Additional note: I've been using IE8; dunno what you have.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Ghost Hunter

• The Mods
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2011, 00:23 »

I've noticed Firefox consumes significantly more memory whilst I'm watching Youtube Vids, but It doesn't seem to have a major impact on the rest of my system. Might be plugin-related? I had a similar issue with FF's Skype Plugin on other sites.

Good point worth noting.

The specs,

Browser: Fire Fox 3 <-> 4 (it persists on both versions)
Plugins: Adobe Acrobat, QuickTime Plug-in, Shockwave Flash
Extensions: Adblock Plus, Answers, AVG Safe Search, Flashblock, Greasemonkey, Java Console, NoScript, Skype Extension, UnMHT

Worth pointing out is that these issues have persisted for me longer than most of these plugins/extensions have been in use.

I've never had this issue, but...

First guess is, it's something relating to Macromedia Flashplayer. Is it possible to duplicate the effect using another site with large-ish flash videos?  If not, what about youtube videos embedded into another domain?

Second guess, it's something to do with the advertisements that now blanket Youtube interacting poorly with something else on your computer. Again, trying to view youtube videos embedded in other sites would give useful information on this.

Additional note: I've been using IE8; dunno what you have.

This effect does not occur with anything that uses Macromedia Flashplayer. It is very specifically Youtube videos and how they work, in my testing experience. Embedded youtube videos produce the same effect on other websites.

I don't think the advertisements is a possibility, due to what I mention above. It's a possibility, since I have many advertisement and advertisement flash/java killing add ons.
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2011, 00:28 »

Ati Radeon cards, youtube and EVE don't play well together. My computer grinds to a halt if I open the map browser on EVE while watching a youtube clip. Don't know why. That's only issue I've had.

Ghost Hunter

• The Mods
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2011, 00:30 »

Ati Radeon cards, youtube and EVE don't play well together. My computer grinds to a halt if I open the map browser on EVE while watching a youtube clip. Don't know why. That's only issue I've had.

Also a good point, I am using Ati Radeon. Hnnnn.
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2011, 00:40 »

ATI Radeon HD5850 here... and I run Eve, Minecraft, Firefox, Steam and some more stuff just fine all at once, while watching Youtube videos. I will note that with two or more clients running at once (with high/top graphics settings) I'll see a notable slowdown, but it's not related to Youtube directly, I believe.

Check drivers? No wait, you did a clean install. Hmm.
Hard to say.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2011, 03:28 »

Anti-virus software is usually the culprit.

Any constant virus checking will slow down the system considerably.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2011, 09:59 »

Don't get any slowdowns here (Win7, Chrome, NVidia graphics card), but I used to have epic levels of system instability when I was using an ATI card and nearly anything flash on my laptop (XP 32bit).
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2011, 10:58 »

Yes, I have this problem to. Anything in the "1080p" range is an unwatchable mess, as well as some things in the "720" range. I had written it off as being caused by my old processor, but...

Win XP--3.2 GHz P4--IE 8--8800 GTX--2 Gs memory

Lyn Farel

« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2011, 11:02 »

I don't have this issue, though mine is annoying as hell too : sometimes it just streams like shit with a ridiculous bandwith not even worth the old 56k modems.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2011, 11:40 »

as for reference;

Browser: Chrome
GFX: Ati Radeon 5870HD
CPU:Core i5-750
RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 4gb

I run a bunch of crap usually at the same time such two eve clients and what not it works fine but heaven help me if open the in-game map screen and I have youtube running... Other than that, I have had very little problems. Besides my HDD crapping out.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2011, 12:10 »

No issues personally. Those who do have them, I know Chrome has hardware acceleration for flash under the experimental featues, does Firefox maybe have that too? Personally I ditched the latter for the former when Chrome gained a replacement for Adblock Plus and Noscript, unoriginally their replacements on Chrome are Adblock Plus and Noscripts. It overall feels like it causes the system less slowdown and once upon a time it had the fastest boot time, though I will admit I haven't looked into the latest version of Firefox.

Make sure your Flash plugin is up to date as well. If only cause that thing being outdated is asking for damn problems. Actually, if you have issues, just uninstall it and install again. Standard IT answer to everything broken, quite often works ;)

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot
Pages: [1] 2