Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the higher levels of space stations are restricted to the elite, with capsuleers occupying the very top decks? (The Burning life p. 73)

Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 2296 times)

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
Dragon Age 2
« on: 01 Apr 2011, 12:16 »

Curious to know what you folks think. So far I'm impressed with the smoothness of the gameplay compared to the first(especially the aggressive nature of the mage class).  I have also heard there is a lacking in the ability of the player to influence the story.

All of your thoughts will be welcomed.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: Dragon Age 2
« Reply #1 on: 01 Apr 2011, 14:02 »

Good story, mediocre game. 

I love bioware games, and I think most of the "I cant influence the game!" arguments to be a bit overboard, but this was the first Bioware game that I felt a bit lukewarm on.  I disliked the style of the combat, I hated seeing the same maps over and over again, and the combat with the same seemingly 12 or so enemy mobs in various configurations.  More than anything else, it came off as a profoundly lazy game to me.

I ended up grinding through the combat just so I could get through the story.  Before, I wasnt too worried that EA would end up killing the things about Bioware RPGs that I enjoyed.  Now, Im more than a bit concerned.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #2 on: 01 Apr 2011, 14:46 »

How much time did they actually put into game production? Almost seems that they rushed to get it on the shelves.

Crucifire

« Reply #3 on: 01 Apr 2011, 15:08 »

They took the Baldur's Gate out of a series that was supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, which was the only thing that kept me interested in the first one.

I'll be passing on it.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #4 on: 02 Apr 2011, 06:31 »

It's an awesome game. Instead of rehashing old stuff, they're creating something a bit new. The story is an excellent rendition of a hero that builds him/herself up from almost nothing to become the catalyst for a grand and spectacular event in the history of Thedas. From zero to hero, over the course of a decade.

I have to say I dislike the Warrior combat, but I did love the Mage and Rogue combat.

That they stayed in the same area for the entirety of the game was also a great thing, to me. It felt like the politics and the events in the city truly were there, an evolving city with evolving characters and supporting cast. The storytelling is superb, the things happening to your character and the city itself are grand and twisted, and the events you pass through are mindshatteringly well done.

I haven't enjoyed bossfights in an RPG anywhere near as much as I have in this one... well, except as a Warrior. That class just sucked to play.

I never did get the complaints about the enemies... I mean, there's just as many enemies as there are in Dragon Age: Origins. Hell, there's a few more. They really made the mages awesome to play, compared to DA:O and Rogues got batshit insane. The world it all takes place in is very well crafted, the characters you meet are all interesting and there's a veritable cornucopia of sick, twisted and dark stories taking place all around you.

Sure, there's limits to how much you can affect the story, but for fuck's sake... that's the best way to tell an epic story. Give the player too much leeway, and the story always suffer.

Invelious, go buy the game and enjoy it. I loved it to bits. Sure, it's got some things to nitpick at, but there's no escaping that there just aren't any other RPG out there that can even remotely compare.

... also, holy fucking shit Flemeth!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 02 Apr 2011, 12:40 »

You are the first one to tell me its a good game, its confusing. I might get another look at it. ^^

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #6 on: 02 Apr 2011, 14:32 »

Not worth 60$. Would definitely buy it for 30$. (I of course, bought it for 60$ because I'm a hurp durp)
[spoiler]
I had fun in the game, primarily as a Rogue. I'm starting a run as a Mage right now. Rogue combat was explosive and hair raising, as improper aggro management would very quickly end your life (and your party if you were the main DPS). Mage is more ranged than Rogue, and seems to have a lot more survivability options. Of course once I got the -100% Threat and -100% Threat Generation talent in the Shadow tree, the game became broken. My Rogue could DPS with impunity for 20s, usually killing everything that wasn't a boss (and usually killing that boss with just Assassinate).

My primary issues with the game was the incredibly overused dungeon maps and the nature of the enemy spawn mechanics. There is about, I think, 5 or 7 dungeon maps, which is basically 1 map per area of the game. The maps themselves are large and have different locked doors / spawn points in order to be "variable". They also have fixed spawn points, so you can easily memorize a map to a mission to know where all the stuff is.

The enemy spawn mechanics is what strips out most of the tactical capability of the game. They usually come in waves, and always behind your mages/archers. Thus the notion of having warriors provide a frontal protection is nullified when the next wave come, and they're already on top of your squishies. The best way to protect is basically a brawler warrior with an upgraded Taunt. AoE and bursting the wave down is better than trying to coordinate a barrier.

Those two points arguably wreck the game in a combat sense, which I could agree with.

I really did enjoy the story and its sense of progression in some aspects, however. Hawke's ME2-esque 'badass lawful good', 'smartass chaotic neutral', and 'forcefulass neutral evil' had a colorful variation between themselves. The accumulative moral decision mechanic was particularly interesting to me. In place of a good/bad karma system, what happens is that Hawke's responses build off previous choices in the Act. If you tend to pick saintly Hawke, your good wheel choices tend to produce more sincere dialogue, etc. Very specific dialogue options also open up, depending on the particular instance.

Choices and consequences tended to play out in a sensible way. The time skips between the three acts allowed different trees to shoot up, depending on how many quests I did and what I did in them. Questlines did a good job of reinserting themselves back into your life during the next act, instead of just being there at the very beginning. Some quests in particular were completely off the wall to me, though. A quest I finished in Act 1 came back at Act 3 with no foreshadowing or idea that the consequences of that quest were coming. It was like I'm doing this new quest, oh wait its related to one from act 1? Well, ok. Those were the exception, not the rule though.[/spoiler]

Overall I'd recommend the game in a heart beat at half its current price. At its current price, it doesn't have nearly the polish I'd expect (in large part due to repetitious environments). A city-state like Kirkwall can be a vast place, and even if the themes are similar, each dungeon could have been artistically different. However, as I used to play Diablo 2 and NOX, I'm somewhat used to the repetitious use of the same dungeon.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 02 Apr 2011, 15:06 »

I never played Dragon Age:Origins (at least, not before DA2) and I bought it for 100 South Pacific Lira while I was feverish and not thinking straight. (That's about US$70)

I enjoyed it. I didn't really expect unique maps every time, and was far more interested in the story than the combat. I liked that by the third act it felt like I was on a rollercoaster and that all I could do was control which flavour of car-crash was coming up. It was quite a lot of fun, and kept me away from Eve for days trying to find out what happened next. I started with a rogue, and didn't really regret it, although my choice of companions was a bit limited if I wanted a mage I could take out in public and another front row fighter, and the choice of companions felt like it was limiting my choices. "If I want x to keep helping me, I should not do things in front of them that will piss them off".

[spoiler]
To be honest, the thing that pissed me off the most was all the mages I tried to help turned out to be blood mages. I mean, FFS, yes, the head of the templars is a psychotic loopy, but every time I go out on a limb to try to help the oppressed, it turns out she was right! WTF?
[/spoiler]
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #8 on: 02 Apr 2011, 15:21 »

I never played Dragon Age:Origins (at least, not before DA2) and I bought it for 100 South Pacific Lira while I was feverish and not thinking straight. (That's about US$70)

I enjoyed it. I didn't really expect unique maps every time, and was far more interested in the story than the combat. I liked that by the third act it felt like I was on a rollercoaster and that all I could do was control which flavour of car-crash was coming up. It was quite a lot of fun, and kept me away from Eve for days trying to find out what happened next. I started with a rogue, and didn't really regret it, although my choice of companions was a bit limited if I wanted a mage I could take out in public and another front row fighter, and the choice of companions felt like it was limiting my choices. "If I want x to keep helping me, I should not do things in front of them that will piss them off".

[spoiler]
To be honest, the thing that pissed me off the most was all the mages I tried to help turned out to be blood mages. I mean, FFS, yes, the head of the templars is a psychotic loopy, but every time I go out on a limb to try to help the oppressed, it turns out she was right! WTF?
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I found that particularly funny at the end. No matter what side you picked, they were both assholes. I sided with the mages, and when head honcho went Eldritch Horror I was like, shit got real. Crazy templar and desperate mage! It does a good job of showing how their subordinates are ordinary people that just want to live (with the occasional sidedish of crazy zealot), but the leaders are completely messed up.[/spoiler]
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #9 on: 03 Apr 2011, 21:55 »

Awesome. I did in fact buy it. Used my old saved game from DA1 for the background. Playing a mage atm, and its retarded awesome. Loving this game.

Thanks for the feed back everyone.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 03 Apr 2011, 22:09 »

Isn't it? Enjoy.

Raphael Saint

• I should really go back to mining
  • Wetgraver
    • Miner Inconvienences [Blog]
« Reply #11 on: 04 Apr 2011, 06:47 »

My brother was playing DA2 almost the whole time I was visiting the family these past couple of weeks, and one thing that stuck out to me was that there was only 1 song that played during combat.  I'd always know when he was fighting because that 1 damn song would start playing.

He wanted me to play it but I took one look at it and said "I don't have the time."

Favorite Character is the (possibly) Smith the (possible) smith.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 04 Apr 2011, 07:26 »

You know, that may actually be true. I can't say I noticed. Now that I think about it, I can't remember the music from the game at all. Not a note. ... huh, normally that's a sign of it blending so seamlessly with the rest of the game that it's just... part of the scenery.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #13 on: 04 Apr 2011, 14:05 »

Haven't bought it yet, but did play the demo and I do want. I like the combat system in this one alot more than the first.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon