Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kyoko Sakoda interned with Omerta Syndicate? Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Pirates no more?  (Read 3015 times)

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
Pirates no more?
« on: 06 Mar 2013, 14:29 »

Had a thought.

What if the slightly less deranged pirate factions got recognition as sovereign states and became CONCORD signatories? They have their own "home" areas of space after all.

You'd have to find some sort of replacement for belt rats but the Rogue Drones would do at a pinch. Also, some pirate groups (EoM and possibly the Sansha come to mind) are way too out there to make a peace with the rest of the respectable cluster. In my opinion anyway. So they might expand to fill the criminal void left by their newly respectable cousins. Maybe invent some completely new dissident or rebel groups?
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: Pirates no more?
« Reply #1 on: 06 Mar 2013, 14:50 »

The pirate factions are primarily parasitic in relation to the big four.

CONCORD is a trade agreement treaty thingie I don't think that the pirate factions actually have anything to trade.

Well, anything legal to trade.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #2 on: 06 Mar 2013, 14:54 »

Today, Sansha's Nation shocked the cluster by signing on as a full CONCORD member...
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #3 on: 06 Mar 2013, 14:55 »

Today, Sansha's Nation shocked the cluster by signing on as a full CONCORD member...

Right, who slept with Endoma when she was an intern and is being blackmailed... speak up.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #4 on: 06 Mar 2013, 15:02 »

Arnulf, that is the goal Vince is working for in the Angel Cartel. Though from an extremists perspective, anyone who does not support his cause is exploitable and expendable resources.

I think they might have plenty to offer Lallara. At least, the Cartel would. A lot what the Angel Cartel provides illegally are legal in some of the Factions already. Granted a lot of it's illegal but it would certainly make for an interesting development.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 06 Mar 2013, 15:16 »

The problem with the pirate factions is the fact that they do not have a proper infrastructure or a government.

Also I would think that to get a new member into the CONCORD it would need all the signatories to agree, and all of the pirate factions are antagonistic to at least one of the big four.

Not to mention the Jovians, their plans might need the pirate factions excluded from the others.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Tabor Murn

• Wetgraver
« Reply #6 on: 06 Mar 2013, 15:21 »

I personally feel the pirate factions are more legitimate than capsuleer corporations or alliances. Concord recognizes those. 

I don't agree that they lack infrastructure or a government. Cartel for example has an executive group (the Dominations) and a military force (the Archangels.) Serpentis is a corporation. They simply lack the benefits that Concord provides such as the DED rapid response capability.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #7 on: 06 Mar 2013, 15:25 »

Hey.

Sansha's Nation is a fully functioning society.  :cry:

We just dont want to be in your stupid clubhouse for jerks.  Meanies.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #8 on: 06 Mar 2013, 17:21 »

I personally feel the pirate factions are more legitimate than capsuleer corporations or alliances. Concord recognizes those. 

I don't agree that they lack infrastructure or a government. Cartel for example has an executive group (the Dominations) and a military force (the Archangels.) Serpentis is a corporation. They simply lack the benefits that Concord provides such as the DED rapid response capability.

Explain this to me. What, if anything, makes the Angel Cartel 'legitimate' in any way?

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #9 on: 06 Mar 2013, 17:36 »

Explain this to me. What, if anything, makes the Angel Cartel 'legitimate' in any way?

As is often the case with real life, having the military power to enforce your existence as a government. While I'm sure we all can agree that North Korea isn't exactly a paragon of democracy and freedom, it is still recognized as a legitimate nation. The only reason not to afford this nation state status to the pirate groups is likely to be an attempt on concord's part to make them seem like less serious of problems. Its easier to deal with the "infestation of angel pirates" when you refer to them as an infestation of pirates and not as the sovereignty holders of large blocks of nullsec.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 06 Mar 2013, 18:06 »

Had a thought.

What if the slightly less deranged pirate factions got recognition as sovereign states and became CONCORD signatories? They have their own "home" areas of space after all.

You'd have to find some sort of replacement for belt rats but the Rogue Drones would do at a pinch. Also, some pirate groups (EoM and possibly the Sansha come to mind) are way too out there to make a peace with the rest of the respectable cluster. In my opinion anyway. So they might expand to fill the criminal void left by their newly respectable cousins. Maybe invent some completely new dissident or rebel groups?

All we need is more highsec space! Let's make 0.0 sov-only so it's supercap blob or go run missions.  >.<

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #11 on: 06 Mar 2013, 20:30 »

As is often the case with real life, having the military power to enforce your existence as a government. While I'm sure we all can agree that North Korea isn't exactly a paragon of democracy and freedom, it is still recognized as a legitimate nation. The only reason not to afford this nation state status to the pirate groups is likely to be an attempt on concord's part to make them seem like less serious of problems. Its easier to deal with the "infestation of angel pirates" when you refer to them as an infestation of pirates and not as the sovereignty holders of large blocks of nullsec.

Actually, not. Sovereignty is granted by the recognition of other states, thus the pirate factions are not sovereign. Cyprus is a real world example of a place with military power (the Turk one) not being sovereign.

And legitimacy is obtained from the approval of your citizens, history, or just following your own laws. That means north korea is a legitimate government, yes.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 06 Mar 2013, 22:59 »

As a former Nation-sympathizing CONCORD supporter and a current CONCORD-sympathizing Nation supporter, Natalcya Katla approves of this news.

Seriously, if that ever happened, I'd feel as though I'd won EVE.  :)
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 06 Mar 2013, 23:04 »

Also, I'd argue that Sansha's Nation would actually be the best candidate for "decriminalization" (whether through CONCORD membership or not), if only somebody would sit down and negotiate a peace. They've never been pirates in the first place. Like Tiberious says, it's a fully functional society.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #14 on: 06 Mar 2013, 23:22 »

Also, I'd argue that Sansha's Nation would actually be the best candidate for "decriminalization" (whether through CONCORD membership or not), if only somebody would sit down and negotiate a peace. They've never been pirates in the first place. Like Tiberious says, it's a fully functional society.

I think the recent Incursions sort of made them the clusters most wanted, thus knocking them back on top as the most hated faction in the Universe. I would also argue against the fully functional society based on TBL. Which makes it look like more One-Dude-At-The-End-Of-The-Socket-Controlling-All-Those-Plugged-In than a society, and that'sjust scraching the surface. While they originally were not pirates they were something twisted enough for the big 4 to want them to be stamped out, a questionable privilege that no other pirate faction to date has had the pleasure of receiving. After that they started aimlessly hunting spacelanes ( making them pirates, btw)  until Papa KeiKei returned with furious vengenace and all his hate - He doesn't really seem that interested in peace either.
Pages: [1] 2 3