Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Blood Raider elites do not generally mix with the rest of the Sani Sabik? (The Burning Life, p. 50)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Character development-is Ava a dead end?  (Read 7604 times)

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
Re: Character development-is Ava a dead end?
« Reply #30 on: 13 Nov 2012, 13:38 »

The urge to actually play Eve died for me long ago. Probably due to a lack of proper veteran content. I still keep up for the storyline... the few paragraphs of which dribble out every year, anyway.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #31 on: 13 Nov 2012, 13:39 »

Oh.

Then come back? I thinks?

And meh. Thats part of the problem. Lots of peopleto call Ava heathen, very few to be called heathen with =(

Are apostate buddies okay ?

You guys are awesome.

No one need do anything they dont wanna do on my account. Im not sure what ill do, but when I figure it out,I will let you all know. And no, I wont disappear. Ive made several RL friends, and honestly, its only the people that have keep me playing as long as I have.

That's not especially something I don't want to do. I am just looking at good incentives to get back ingame, which is basically RP possibilities, mostly. It was quite lacking when I left.

Have you considered a life of piracy and wanton tear creation? *wink*

Even if I wanted it to be that way ICly, I couldnt do it OOCly.  :P

Anyway, no, but thanks.  /runs looking for Aldrith  >.>

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 13 Nov 2012, 14:49 »

The biggest issue I have, i think, is that there are simply other, higher profile Minmatar "RP" groups (Tongue in cheek there) who have much more visibilty. People read the intro screen, think "The Minmatar must be the good guys!" roll up a Minmatar too, and if they have any RP inklings, find their way to groups like U'K or Defiant Legacy, who are just too "grrr kill die burn revenge!" for me. EM get the ones who have a more pve/industry leaning, which is good, EM is a great group, but EM has NO rp presence outside of their own community. Like, literaly, none. Once in a blue moon someone pops into the Summit and talks for a minute, and then, poof, no sight of them for a few more weeks. So, ICly, while I love the Minmatar for a lot of reasons, and want to try and develop what we have more, I simply have no one to do so with. People think the Amarr are "underrepresented?" Take a peek at how many Minmatar (Who arent angels, pirates, Amarr pets, etc) pop into the Summit, or even on here. Not very damn many, is it?

I can try and get newer people, though I just dont want to take people by the hand and lead them around. A HUGE problem in TRA was the lack of people to run fleets. Everyone wanted to PvP, very few wanted to roam solo or put up a fleet, so they would get bored and leave simply because I couldnt run fleets often enough to discourage boredom. I literally pleaded with members to put up fleets, and one did, when he had the time. The remianing 20+ people? Not once. Honestly, I have no idea how to get people over the hump; how can I get people to take a bit of initiative, and hit the undock button without someone telling them to on TS, or better yet, to accept the responsibility of being that person once in a while? Being solo isnt hard. Running fleets isnt hard. I just dont get this. So here, mechanically, EVE frustrates me too. I cannot run ops every day, I simply cant. I cannot teach new players PvP from day 1. I simply do not have the time. If i dont, however, an amazing amount of them just sit around, eventually think "this corp sucks, we never do anything" (Because i cant hold their hand 24/7) and quit. I have absolutely no idea what to do about this, and doing it alone is even more overwhelming.

Im willing to try, but I have no idea what to try. Do i keep my SP minimum requirement? Do i drop it? Do I go spam corp invites in a starter system? And how do i prevent the above from happening again, and again?

Ava

Jev North

« Reply #33 on: 13 Nov 2012, 15:20 »

In my experience, this is a problem for many corporations. Talented or even willing FCs are somewhat rare. Finding roleplayers who PvP or PvPers who roleplay and are the least bit focused is also fairly rare.

I suspect it's because, as a group, we have tendencies to lean more towards playing stalwart soldiers, brilliant strategists, and visionary leaders and so less of a tendency towards being them, or at least, working at being passable imitations of them.

Uraniae

• Wetgraver
« Reply #34 on: 13 Nov 2012, 16:57 »

The corp problem you're describing is somewhat common, in my experience.  A lot of people seem perfectly content to sit around and just wait for someone to pull them along into something.  This holds true for both mechanical aspects of EVE and role play aspects.  I wish I knew something to tell you that would help you get people over that line from waiting for things to doing things themselves, but I've not found it myself yet.

Also, for what it is worth, I would happily jump into more in depth Matari RP, if I were Matari.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 13 Nov 2012, 18:28 »

Ura, thanks, it helps. And its good to know that problem isnt unique to me!

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #36 on: 13 Nov 2012, 18:48 »

It's certaintly not.  We have a no-alt rule, broken only very rarely, for just the reason you described.  We don't want people who are playing fad characters, you know?

So yeah, recruitment is slower than it could be, but we keep the people we have. :)
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #37 on: 13 Nov 2012, 19:46 »

Okay, first time logging in for a long time once I spotted this post. First, a few answers to direct questions:

* No, do not lower/remove SP requirement. If you think you've had low-initiative / low dependability pilots so far, you have no idea. Keep it.
* Don't spam corp invites anywhere. Write down a list of all RPers you know of, then target those you want directly. When you have a list of people who might be interested, create something with a core of good players and roleplayers alike. Then you can start adding the numbers around it.
* Newer people can be a great resource, since you can basically mold them to fit where you need them, but you need a core to shape them around.

Anyway, sorry to hear you're struggling, but it's pretty much what I've been expecting to see. The Matari RP scene was just... wrong... already back when I started losing faith in it and then had real life get between me and Eve in any case. You could divide it into the insular echochambers that were completely separate from everything else in Eve and RP, the rawrmatar that just never got anywhere near the critical mass needed to sustain themselves (see various attempts from the old Du'uma Fiisi (sp? it's ages ago) and such, through newer versions) and the moderates that sacrifice a lot in terms of Matari identity in favor of all-rounder appeal. One may be self-sustaining but barely even part of Eve at this point, others are impossible to sustain and so on. Even if real life hadn't gotten suddenly in the way, I don't think I'd last anyway and part of that is the Matari RP situation.

However, Lutinari having trouble is new to me and somewhat distressing. Anyone have the details?

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #38 on: 13 Nov 2012, 19:57 »

However, Lutinari having trouble is new to me and somewhat distressing. Anyone have the details?

I'd love to know this too.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #39 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:18 »

I can try and get newer people, though I just dont want to take people by the hand and lead them around. A HUGE problem in TRA was the lack of people to run fleets. Everyone wanted to PvP, very few wanted to roam solo or put up a fleet, so they would get bored and leave simply because I couldnt run fleets often enough to discourage boredom. I literally pleaded with members to put up fleets, and one did, when he had the time. The remianing 20+ people? Not once. Honestly, I have no idea how to get people over the hump; how can I get people to take a bit of initiative, and hit the undock button without someone telling them to on TS, or better yet, to accept the responsibility of being that person once in a while? Being solo isnt hard. Running fleets isnt hard. I just dont get this. So here, mechanically, EVE frustrates me too. I cannot run ops every day, I simply cant. I cannot teach new players PvP from day 1. I simply do not have the time. If i dont, however, an amazing amount of them just sit around, eventually think "this corp sucks, we never do anything" (Because i cant hold their hand 24/7) and quit. I have absolutely no idea what to do about this, and doing it alone is even more overwhelming.

I have experienced pretty much this exact issue with ANSH extensively. I've yet to find a good way over it, bar hiring more folks and hoping that one of the people I grab is up for fleet command so I can stop running corporate fleets into the jaws of hell for a little while. I think part of the trick is trying to make sure you get one, pre-planned roam out a week or thereabouts. Even if you take out 5 frigates and die in a fire it shows you're active, and has the neat little side effect of getting people into things if you find a decent fight. I am a terrible FC, and absolutely hate running roams when it's quiet, as I end up obsessing over whether I'm boring people out of the corp, but I do it anyway, and it seems to keep things sort-of rolling.

As for discouraging boredom- Move to a busy system. This worked wonders during Fear and Loathing in Intaki, and even when people were docked up, there was the potential for things to flare up in the constellation. Heck, we even had some local RP going at one point. Part of it may have been luck with online times, but we'll be trying something similar again soon, and already people have started jumping into action.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2012, 02:22 by Milo Caman »

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:40 »

Not to hijack the thread further, but RE: LUTI, the Lutinari directors all left. 

I was the first to go, for RP reasons somewhat, but mostly for real life being a bitch and not having the time to really be a director or undock or really be much of a use to anyone.  I just felt it was best for everyone if I stepped down.

Altaen left next. He wanted to focus mostly on PVP, and EM's ROE kinda gets in the way of pew quite a bit, so he formed a purely combat corp with some of the elite pirates that we used to shoot regularly.  To my knowledge hes pretty happy with it, and good on him.  Great pilot, amazing FC, easily the best Ive flown with or under, and a great guy and human being.

Mata apparently stepped down as CEO at that point, and I think quit EVE.  (?)  Havent seen her around much at all. Hope shes still around.  Would be a blow to the community to lose her.

So, thats what happened to LUTI.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2012, 02:42 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #41 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:48 »

That's a real shame. Altaen is probably the coolest FC in the game, combining skill with a fantastic leadership style and personality. Hope he's doing well wherever he is. My best PvP experiences in Eve were under him and I'll remember some amazing close calls where we came on top purely because of him. He's one of those guys who deserve it. A pity about the rest, too. Luti had potential, even if it shared in some of the almost universal problems on the Matari RP side of things.

As for quitting Eve, individuals won't have that much impact when they quit. We've seen that far too many times already.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 14 Nov 2012, 22:09 »

I've only just seen this. Thread-detour continues here.

I had a chat with Altaen a few days ago while I was setting a skill for Mata. His new corp, Calamitous Intent, seems to be doing well, with the focus and freedoms that he'd been hanging out for as a serious competitive gamer. He deserves a bigger stage.

I needed to step away from EVE. I've been gaming elsewhere with Ulf, which has been a nice thing to do for a change. I'm learning a lot about roleplay in fantasy MMORPGs which don't have PvP baked in, and about PvE that's actually kinda enjoyable. I'm even coming to appreciate some of the features of EVE that had seemed just normal to me because it was my first MMO.

I still do a little EVE play-by-email, and browse here very occasionally, but I don't currently have any EVE plans. I'm happy to chat about EVE lore where I have something to add, but I'm pretty impatient with conflict just now. It's spring here. There's more to life than arguing over computer games. :)

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #43 on: 16 Nov 2012, 07:30 »

I don't play EVE anymore, as you well know, but I do still check in here from time to time.

My advice Ava, is pursue what you enjoy doing and let the RP unfold from there. There's comes a point where you have to draw a line and realize that this is a game and it's about having fun. If what you're involved in isn't fun for you, then you have the power to force a change - that's your prerogative as the player.

For example, you enjoy PvP but don't much care for faction warfare? Then move to piracy. Is that out of character for Ava? Perhaps as she is now. What happens if a private conversation with a fellow soldier (a conversation that nobody will ever hear or see) convinces Ava that fighting in the war will never result in a positive change and, in fact, that the "soldiers" in the war are worse than the pirates preying on them - so she has a dramatic shift of perspective and decides to focus on something else?

Maybe she's tired of combat altogether and wants to lay low for a while (if you wanted to do something more laid back)? There's a ton of ways to get a character where you want them without breaking disbelief of the character.

Bottom line: It's a game. You're the player. You make the rules, the character follows not the other way around.

As a side note, you can always contact me on Skype or Steam if you need to talk, you know that. :)
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #44 on: 16 Nov 2012, 12:08 »

I don't play EVE anymore, as you well know, but I do still check in here from time to time.

My advice Ava, is pursue what you enjoy doing and let the RP unfold from there. There's comes a point where you have to draw a line and realize that this is a game and it's about having fun. If what you're involved in isn't fun for you, then you have the power to force a change - that's your prerogative as the player.

For example, you enjoy PvP but don't much care for faction warfare? Then move to piracy. Is that out of character for Ava? Perhaps as she is now. What happens if a private conversation with a fellow soldier (a conversation that nobody will ever hear or see) convinces Ava that fighting in the war will never result in a positive change and, in fact, that the "soldiers" in the war are worse than the pirates preying on them - so she has a dramatic shift of perspective and decides to focus on something else?

Maybe she's tired of combat altogether and wants to lay low for a while (if you wanted to do something more laid back)? There's a ton of ways to get a character where you want them without breaking disbelief of the character.

Bottom line: It's a game. You're the player. You make the rules, the character follows not the other way around.

As a side note, you can always contact me on Skype or Steam if you need to talk, you know that. :)

I do, and it was good to hear from you! Good points all. Thank you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5