Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Titan Doomsday Devices were originally massive, field clearing nukes instead of doomsday rays?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Intentional Mistakes  (Read 2785 times)

Kybernetes Moros

Re: Intentional Mistakes
« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2012, 06:03 »

Don't get bent out of shape about it. I haven't interacted with the character much on either Vaun or Kyber, but it didn't seem like it was a different person speaking; different characters react differently to things, and sometimes that means doing things that the character looks back on in the future with a wince.

tl;dr It seemed entirely realistic and good to me. Generated intrafactional conflict, which always gets me excited; didn't seem a stretch; well-phrased ideas. No point worrying if it was what he would have done having considered it: Malcolm-c wasn't thinking things through properly and acted accordingly. Imperfect characters rock.

Ilsenae Alexandros

• Adjutant of the Wiyrkomi Honor Guard
  • Clonejack
  • Tea Maker
    • Eskeitanen Wiyrkomi Kaashivon
« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2012, 06:28 »

Seriously, you could go pirate.  Like some sort of honorable pirate.  Mal Reynolds style, basically.  Milo would probably offer a nice signing bonus too...  :yar:

For anybody that knows how Mal started out this would actually be kind of silly, because that's the exact concept he started out as.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #17 on: 21 Sep 2012, 06:29 »

Seriously, you could go pirate.  Like some sort of honorable pirate.  Mal Reynolds style, basically.  Milo would probably offer a nice signing bonus too...  :yar:

For anybody that knows how Mal started out this would actually be kind of silly, because that's the exact concept he started out as.

I know.  Wasn't completely serious ;)

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #18 on: 21 Sep 2012, 06:33 »

Don't get bent out of shape about it. I haven't interacted with the character much on either Vaun or Kyber, but it didn't seem like it was a different person speaking; different characters react differently to things, and sometimes that means doing things that the character looks back on in the future with a wince.

tl;dr It seemed entirely realistic and good to me. Generated intrafactional conflict, which always gets me excited; didn't seem a stretch; well-phrased ideas. No point worrying if it was what he would have done having considered it: Malcolm-c wasn't thinking things through properly and acted accordingly. Imperfect characters rock.

Well this is actually encouraging, I was afraid it seemed completely out-of-character.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #19 on: 21 Sep 2012, 07:05 »

I know.  Wasn't completely serious ;)

Mal was the Caldari Jack Sparrow. And it was hilarious.

Savvy?

Edit: More on topic, I've definitely done this once or twice with Morwen, though it was less "knowingly and willfully making a mistake" and more intentionally making a decision that turned out to be a mistake in the short term. She got bit pretty hard in the ass by it, but it worked out fairly well in the end, so no regrets. ...Mostly. >> *cough* :koro: *cough*
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2012, 07:23 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #20 on: 21 Sep 2012, 07:17 »

Alright, so it seems the consensus is that it was a believable mistake to make, stayed in-character and promoted conflict. So all-in-all, op success!
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #21 on: 21 Sep 2012, 08:40 »

Fancy going pirate yet?

Now that would be a twist...  :twisted:

Previously stanch Caldari loyalist going pirate was all the rage from '06 to '08.   

Jev North

« Reply #22 on: 21 Sep 2012, 08:43 »

That means that counting in internet years, it'll be retro in early '13?

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #23 on: 21 Sep 2012, 09:07 »

Hipster Mal can go retro before it's cool again.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #24 on: 22 Sep 2012, 21:26 »

I've found that playing an imperfect character well is much more interesting and challenging than trying to play a perfect character.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #25 on: 22 Sep 2012, 23:39 »

Fancy going pirate yet?

Now that would be a twist...  :twisted:

Previously stanch Caldari loyalist going pirate was all the rage from '06 to '08. '10.

Fixed that for you.

@ topic and a bit less /bitter, I was happy to see this play out (the public parts atl) and it seemed quite good, imho.
Pages: 1 [2]