Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Gallente Federation loyalist and [EL-G] CEO Seriphyn Inhonores is originally from Caldari Prime?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Conversations between enemies  (Read 4491 times)

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
Conversations between enemies
« on: 30 Aug 2012, 15:47 »

So, what can enemies talk about that doesn't end with them ranting or verbally sniping at each other?

Ideas anyone? One that comes to mind is that two groups/people may be opposed but they may have other enemies in common.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: Conversations between enemies
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2012, 15:52 »

The things they hold in common that make them human: family and humor.  When bitter enemies find it possible to meet and talk to one another without the threat of immediate violence between then, I think these are the themes most likely to transcend cultural boundaries because they are integral to the human experience.

Bastian Valoron

• Egger
« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2012, 17:17 »

Bastian would probably stick to neutral topics, he might talk about the economy, traffic conditions, landmarks or intergalactic celebrities. Since Foiritan's ideology is close to his heart, he might also try to proselytize a bit. I don't see him going to an enemy hangout just to have a casual chat, he would need a solid reason.

He would not try to seek common ground or understand the enemy, because
-there is already a good basic understanding where the characters are coming from on OOC level, and "understanding"/"unlikely friends syndrome" would basically just mean adding more OOC flavor to the IC interactions,
-he's a faction loyalist and being unbiased or understanding the enemy would defeat the whole point,
-attempts to befriend everyone IC kills IC conflict and narrative.

The things they hold in common that make them human: family and humor.  When bitter enemies find it possible to meet and talk to one another without the threat of immediate violence between then, I think these are the themes most likely to transcend cultural boundaries because they are integral to the human experience.

New Eden is a grimdark, harsh place where life has little value. Maybe it does fit the atmosphere that somebody would choose to send his enemies after his family. When it comes to humor, it does not transcend cultural boundaries that well even in RL, let alone in deep space where the civilizations have been evolving in widely different directions for thousands of years, so I'm not sure how well that would work.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2012, 17:28 »

New Eden is a grimdark, harsh place where life has little value. Maybe it does fit the atmosphere that somebody would choose to send his enemies after his family. When it comes to humor, it does not transcend cultural boundaries that well even in RL, let alone in deep space where the civilizations have been evolving in widely different directions for thousands of years, so I'm not sure how well that would work.

:roll: I am assuming of course one of the hypothetical parties hasn't sent assassins to kill the others family.  Not every damn interaction in New Eden has to reek of grimdark.

I am also assuming one of the parties isn't horribly scarred by melodramatic childhood tragedies involving parents, siblings, or the like.  In general, most people have a mother and have good things to say about her.  This is one thing two bitter enemies are quite likely to have in common (and can therefore use as a starting point for conversation) regardless of other differences.

And humor, particularly physical or slapstick humor, does transcend cultural boundaries.  We all have human bodies that can and often do funny things (voluntarily or not).

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2012, 17:35 »

Fod....good wine....crazy CONCORD shenanigans....

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2012, 18:39 »

In general, most people have a mother and have good things to say about her.
More evidence that tube people have no souls.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2012, 18:43 »

In general, most people have a mother and have good things to say about her.
More evidence that tube people have no souls.

They have mothers too... just like gingers.  :twisted:

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2012, 19:51 »

Azdan's had a number of "polite" conversations with his enemies ranging from history, CONCORD policies, ship designs and technology, science, the arts, literature, theology and a number of other things.

What he doesn't talk about is slavery, the Reclaiming and culture usually.

Malcolm didn't really talk to people unless he was sharing tea with them, which often resulted in tea and cuisine being a common topic.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2012, 19:59 »

Sport, especially common sports.  While the Caldari & Amarr might not share any or the Minmatar & Gallente, I expect that there common sports between the Caldari & Gallente and the Amarr & Minmatar.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2012, 20:33 »

I'd say if my own character came to see an enemy sharing similar values and principles primarily related to them having a sense of duty, intelligence or talent then they'd be open to dialogue because then they'd be a "Noble" enemy or a "Worthy Opponent". There's also a great degree of difference between what they express in public venues such as the IGS/Summit where as a loyal citizen they have a sense of obligation to wear their public face and express opinions that may personally not agree with totally in the name of unity and reinforcing the patriotic State line.

In private though they've had casual conversations on a range of topics with others who, since they aren't loyal to Sukuuvestaa are potential enemies to them. Besides, they tend to hold to the view that if one must kill a man it costs nothing to be polite. That and I'd say they have a very anachronistic and Clausewitzian I guess? Worldview on the interactions between peoples and nations where war and conflict are simply the natural consequences of differing interests and politics and does not require the investment of emotion or ideology.

It's why they don't touch the eschatology behind the Amarr/Minmatar conflict with a ten foot pole because getting drawn into a discussion about fighting a war that isn't about economic or political advantage makes no damn sense to them.

Alcohol, neutral ground, and steering away from divisive topics probably helps in breaking the ice. I would also say talking about the arts, literature, and film is probably a good place to start with State/Fed discussions since they no doubt export a lot of it to each other. Or how your favourite show got censored by the Provists or SDII because it was unpatriotic and corrupting the youth.  :lol:

Oh God, now I just had the image of a Caldari soap drama and I can't stop laughing.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2012, 21:35 »

Some topics have worked well for me for sparking long conversations with enemies:

"You should stay away from me.  You could get hurt, and I'd hate to see that happen for a stupid reason."

"I got the impression that I was primaried in that fight. That ... was surprising.  Care to tell me why?"

(while evading being hunted down) "So, how was your day?"

"I salvaged what I could from your wreck.  Would you like me to leave it here (in the local system) or have it hauled elsewhere for you?"

"Hi.  Got a minute?  My calendar says we last spoke on (date).  Is that accurate?  It is?  Great!  Now, would you mind reminding me what I said?"

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2012, 02:23 »

Engaging in a conversation with your enemy is counter productive.

You destroy your capability of dehumanization there.

You can yell slogans at them and treat them like the animals that they are.

Never treat your enemies as humans.

It might make you hesitate the next time you are about to kill them.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Jev North

« Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2012, 02:42 »

As general counterpoints to that - it might make them hesitate, too, maybe. I like people to feel comfortable and appreciated around my characters. They leak intel more easily and it's easier to get a scra-.. I mean, there's no reason not to be polite. Dehumanization and general "total war" propaganda is for mobilizing faceless mobs and nation-states. Capsuleers are a highly fluid, independent elite. Not to mention long-lived. Yesterday, -year, or -decade's enemies may become your friends, as well as the other way around.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2012, 05:21 »

Engaging in a conversation with your enemy is counter productive.

You destroy your capability of dehumanization there.

You can yell slogans at them and treat them like the animals that they are.

Never treat your enemies as humans.

It might make you hesitate the next time you are about to kill them.

Depends on who it is - I imagine most characters, just like most people, have enemies, and then they have Enemies.

The former are the people who happen to be in conflict with you, for a variety of temporary reasons or for understandable or 'forgivable' reasons, such as justifiable causes, the politics of the day, accident, conflicting ideologies but similar beliefs and values, and so on. This person can be understood - putting yourself in his shoes is not hard because you are in the exact same situation, just with a different uniform and flag. You can forgive him, even if you fully intend to do your duty and kill him, because he might as well have been you.

Then there is the FUCKING ENEMY. :evil: The type of entity that are below human, soulless, pain-and-death-deserving SCUM. The kind that are entirely and mercilessly opposed, ideologically, practically, morally, politically and so on. The type of enemy you have no qualms about killing, whose death you enjoy, the type of entity you have no interest in understanding, because there is nothing to understand - the enemy might as well be a non-humanoid alien with far to many limbs and/or eyes to invoke any sympathy.

IMHO, having to many of either or only representatives in one camp is a bad idea - either you come off to friendly, or to hostile, and the dynamics between you and your opponents remains the same, each time.

Having said that, having the disposition to off the type 1 enemy without hesitation might be a source of RP in itself;

"I believed we understood each other..." :(
"We do, but war is war regardless." :|

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 31 Aug 2012, 06:10 »

Layered on top of factional allegiances are familiarities and friendships, some of them developed and maintained over years. In one way, yes, this dilutes the factions; in another it adds richness to the relationships and helps stitch the roleplay circles together.
Pages: [1] 2 3